Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is it about this place....

That keeps you coming back? For me, it is the escape from every day life, and into a world of fun and fascination. I get to crack corny jokes, talk about cards, and just hang out up against the car and smoke.

Comments

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

I like all you hot chicks here.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm just sitting here with a Budweiser, checking out the latest on the forum and getting ready to watch some playoff football. I'm cooking up a batch of tasty chili dogs as we speak. They smell so scrumptous. They just tickle my fancy!

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the wife and cat won't listen to me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

good conversation, good arguments, good topics

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Popcorn girl. That's it. 😂🤣😂

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think that guy in the picture collects cards.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

The forum is addictive. I just have to be around card talk every day. I guess it's like ex football players that have to be around the game of football.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

It keeps me sane.

• Options

Yes, this place keeps me sane also. It is a comfort to be able to come here and escape from the stress of everyday life.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only place where people aren't allowed to call me an arsehole.

Arthur

• Options

Reggie is an arsehole

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

The knowledge. And the overall genuine and giving personalities of the members.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Because it's part of my job. You guys drive me nuts. ;-)

Ahh.. Even if you weren’t being paid, how could you not love being with this group. :) Can’t keep it too dull for you.

• Options

@Horse said:
    Reggie is an arsehole

I have no defense to this.

Arthur

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    Because it's part of my job. You guys drive me nuts. ;-)

That's why you get paid the big bucks and get the sweet parking spot near the front door.

Arthur

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Riiiiiiight

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

I'm just sitting here checking out the latest on the forum. I'm watching the Chiefs vs Texans game. Earlier I watched my favorite movie "The Duckinator", so now I'm enjoying some good ol' fashioned playoff football.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    I enjoy seeing the variety of cards posted and the knowledge many board members share.

I agree with ya. :)

Besides the fun and entertainment of our great hobby which is obvious, i have saved thousands of dollars from reading the advice and guidance of members on here, especially regarding unopened packs.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

meh, it’s ok. I liked it a lot more 15 years ago. :)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I'm looking forward to the college National Championship game tonight forum brethren. Here's my prediction for the game....

LSU

Clemson

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

But so much better a few years ago before mods banned several great members.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@BriYo79 said:

I wonder about what went down when I see comments like this. How were they so great, yet they were banned? Were they not as great as you thought or were the banishments unjust?

Can't say I have ever been banned from a website, but I tend to stay away from the drama that often leads to people getting removed.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

Great Googly Moogly....

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

@BriYo79 said:

I wonder about what went down when I see comments like this. How were they so great, yet they were banned? Were they not as great as you thought or were the banishments unjust?

Can't say I have ever been banned from a website, but I tend to stay away from the drama that often leads to people getting removed.

Its one of those "you had to be there" situations. I am not one to look back and say the good ol'e days were always good but looking back 8 years or so on this board was certainly must see.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

@BriYo79 said:

Honestly, if you need to ask that question then either you haven't been here long or just don't get it.

The combined collecting knowledge from the members now banned dwarfs what is left here (minus maybe Mike and Doug).

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowledge

• Options

@BriYo79 said:

@mrmopar said:

@BriYo79 said:

Honestly, if you need to ask that question then either you haven't been here long or just don't get it.

The combined collecting knowledge from the members now banned dwarfs what is left here (minus maybe Mike and Doug).

Totally agree with this statement.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

this won't be a popular response, but it's a candid one: in my almost 8 years i've never seen it this dead. at one time this place was a house party. sure, some rabble-rousing went down, but at the other end of the sword there was lively entertainment and an overabundance of vital information being disseminated. now, it's as if this forum was shot in the groin. on the first page i can still see posts dating back to Jan 9 -- almost a week ago. that's almost unfathomable considering the way things used to be. moreover, i participated in secret santa for years and now i wouldn't even think about participating in/spearheading such an endeavor with the lack of activity on display.

i have ideas as to how the ship could be righted, but i don't think those would be smiled upon either. thus, i'll close by simply saying that i hope there's a reversal of direction.

• Options

As a relative newcomer (unless you count popping in a couple times many years ago), I find the boards informative and entertaining. I am sure the “good old days” were much better, but isn’t that true of everything? I just hope that those true experts and hobby oldtimers that still check In keep doing so, and don’t lose interest...

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

Most of the card message boards seem all but dead these days. The "glory" years seem to be behind us for most. Each has it's niche, but as I browse each one, mainly looking for good conversation (and maybe even a little knowledge sharing) about card subjects, most topics die within a day or two. I have moved on from 2 separate boards due to lack of participation in the areas that interest me and casually browse a few others only. I guess it is enough to keep me logging on every couple of days and checking 3-5 places for an hour or so to see if anything piques my interest that day.

Again, I don't know, nor do I really care what went down to get some many "great" people banned, but knowledge or not, I am going to guess they just couldn't get along well enough with others. Maybe they should all get together, start a new site that has no rules and let it fly!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I find the FB "boards" a lot better since we police ourselves and don't have to watch what we say about things that concern us about the hobby.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020 11:24AM

@galaxy27 said:
    this won't be a popular response, but it's a candid one: in my almost 8 years i've never seen it this dead. at one time this place was a house party. sure, some rabble-rousing went down, but at the other end of the sword there was lively entertainment and an overabundance of vital information being disseminated. now, it's as if this forum was shot in the groin. on the first page i can still see posts dating back to Jan 9 -- almost a week ago. that's almost unfathomable considering the way things used to be. moreover, i participated in secret santa for years and now i wouldn't even think about participating in/spearheading such an endeavor with the lack of activity on display.

i have ideas as to how the ship could be righted, but i don't think those would be smiled upon either. thus, i'll close by simply saying that i hope there's a reversal of direction.

I don't think I could have said it better myself. This is just my "sense", but it seems like a lot of the discussion was around (or at least based on) unopened rips, set registries, submissions results, group submissions, etc. I think all of those things have become more and more cost prohibitive now, and thus less of them are happening. Beyond that, I cannot put my finger on it, but participation is definitely way down. Same is true on the B/S/T boards. At one time you'd have to sort through the PMs to figure out who asked first when you were trying to sell something, now its crickets.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020 8:27AM

@JakeR2234 said:
    I find the FB "boards" a lot better since we police ourselves and don't have to watch what we say about things that concern us about the hobby.

There are amazing social media groups that is for sure. I can certainly vouch for one that I'm involved with. I agree with the sentiment from an earlier thought that internet message boards are probably past their peak. I was talking to a guy last week about the Topps blackless thread that was started here. He said "Man I haven't posted there in years". He wasn't one of the banned. It's much more than that. . When I cam back to the hobby 14 months ago or so I noticed right away how different this place was. I also found out real quick where all those people went. Many have just moved on to other platforms.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

And 8 years ago people were complaining about the amount of quality members that had been lost in that past. It's all relative.

Look at FCB. That place used to be a firehouse, now it's dead. I think the facebook effect has taken a toll on a lot of boards.

Arthur

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Alf is still a member on the forum, although his participation has dropped off in recent years.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020 7:10PM

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    And 8 years ago people were complaining about the amount of quality members that had been lost in that past. It's all relative.

Look at FCB. That place used to be a firehouse, now it's dead. I think the facebook effect has taken a toll on a lot of boards.

Arthur

With FCB the owner killed it and those he sold it to made sure it was dead with their dismissive attitudes and their constant fighting with posters. That place was once good. Now, I may look at it once a month but the content is never enticing enough to log in and be a part of that board any more.

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Alf is still a member on the forum, although his participation has dropped off in recent years.

Its members like you that make coming to this forum awesome. Your posts always have me laughing.

• Options

Is there no one else that is here simply based on all our individual hot chickness ?

I can’t be the only one coming here for this.

• Options

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@doubledragon said:

Its members like you that make coming to this forum awesome. Your posts always have me laughing.

Thank you for the kind words. I do like to add a little humor to the forum. I also have a lot of time on my hands. ;)

• Options
    edited January 16, 2020 6:26AM

@Horse said:
    Is there no one else that is here simply based on all our individual hot chickness ?

I can’t be the only one coming here for this.

Anyone who goes to the testing section of the forum better be careful, I was approached by a couple of hookers there last week.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@doubledragon said:

Thank you for the kind words. I do like to add a little humor to the forum. I also have a lot of time on my hands. ;)

Humor is what took out the cool people here years ago. The Doof posse came in and could not understand it. Squeeled together and complained to the mods. They banded together, and won. It was quite disturbing.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:

@doubledragon said:

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@doubledragon said:

Humor is what took out the cool people here years ago. The Doof posse came in and could not understand it. Squeeled together and complained to the mods. They banded together, and won. It was quite disturbing.

Yeah, I miss Balrog. That guy was the best. DoubleDragon is funny, but Balrog was funny on a whole 'nother level, although I don't think everyone had the refined sense of humor to appreciate it. I loved how he'd post stories of ripping into some quality unopened, using only photos, with interludes of photos of his dog looking on quizzically. Then, eventually the cards would end up in the toilet, or going for a swim, or having a barbeque. Hilllllariiiiious!!!...Harold Baines being impaled and stuck on a palm tree was second only to Steve Vai getting a suntan... (sigh)...

(Piano keys tinkling)

Boy, the way Glen Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade,
    Guys like us, we had it made,
    Those were the days...

• Options

I've heard of Balrog. I wish he were still posting. It's actually an honor to mentioned in the same breath as Balrog.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I've heard of Balrog. I wish he were still posting. It's actually an honor to mentioned in the same breath as Balrog.

People can TELL you stories about the greats, but unless you actually SAW them play, you'll never be able to appreciate their true greatness. Balrog was definitely one of the greats, no disrespect meant to you DoubleDragon. Keep puttin' in the work, as you're definitely on a HOF trajectory.