Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Book from Heritage

AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2020 2:57PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just got the book A Monetary History from Central America. It was sent to me from Heritage with a nice thank you note for being such a good bidder. Anyone else got it too?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2020 4:21PM

I don't think I got one, but maybe I'm not such a good bidder lately. :'(
    (I say I don't think so because I've not been to my postal box in a week.)

• Options

Just went to my box and the book was waiting there! Thanks Heritage folks!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, I usually use an agent to bid for me so not likely waiting for me. Hope it is good!

• Options

It is the ANS book on Central America, which is a fantastic book! I had already purchased my copy from the ANS once I saw the preview.

I do not see it on their website, so I'm not sure it is still for sale, but you need that book.
    Also the ANS book on cobs is excellent: http://numismatics.org/store/cobs/

• Options

Its on Amazon at a decent price. ISBN 978-0897223508.

• Options

It can be purchased here:
    https://oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/a-monetary-history-of-central-america.html

Going to check the mailbox and buy it if not needed

• Options

It is a GREAT book. At least one of my coins was featured in the book.

• Options
    fred13fred13 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Do you one of you mind leaving a short review on the book once you've given it a bit of a further look. I am toying with the idea of purchasing it but for a roughly $100 dollar purchase it would be nice to know the contents have depth

• Options

@fred13 said:
    Do you one of you mind leaving a short review on the book once you've given it a bit of a further look. I am toying with the idea of purchasing it but for a roughly $100 dollar purchase it would be nice to know the contents have depth

As far as my interests are concerned includes a very deep review, with great illustrations, of the cons of Central America from the fallout of Emperor Agustin and their separation from Mexico all the way to post CAR coinage. It actually goes further, but I do not collect those series post CAR. But the pre CAR, CAR, and early post CAR is very good. If you complement this with the books by Jara and Jovel, you are pretty much very well versed on CAR coinage. The edition is great. Hard bound, great photography and paper, and authoritative.

• Options

@Abuelo said:

@fred13 said:

As far as my interests are concerned includes a very deep review, with great illustrations, of the cons of Central America from the fallout of Emperor Agustin and their separation from Mexico all the way to post CAR coinage. It actually goes further, but I do not collect those series post CAR. But the pre CAR, CAR, and early post CAR is very good. If you complement this with the books by Jara and Jovel, you are pretty much very well versed on CAR coinage. The edition is great. Hard bound, great photography and paper, and authoritative.

I'll add that it was published by the American Numismatic Society (in New York) which has a very high standard of academic integrity (fake gold bar controversy notwithstanding) and authored by Brian Stickney, an expert on the subject.

It's $49 plus shipping if you're an ANS member.

• Options

Bought the book, thanks for posting about it!