Home Precious Metals

New Product I assume will be exclusive to APMEX

derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2020 6:46PM in Precious Metals

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what advantage that has over a raw coin. Doesn't even show a grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Not sure what advantage that has over a raw coin. Doesn't even show a grade.

Read the other thread. It's forever eligible for a First Strike label. A PCGS/APMEX partnership.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good partnership. 2 very trustworthy companies.
    Something I would consider as a gift for someone, but can’t see “stacking” these.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Just looks like the typical apmex mint direct holder. Guess PCGS must now certify that it's straight from tube to holder. I have purchased the apmex mint direct in the past but only when found at spot or less. Graded / first strike slabbed bullion premium is the scam of the millennium. It all milk spots and tones just the same as any coin straight from the monster box.

Found at "spot or less?" I would love to see a site or auction venue that made that offer.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:
    Just looks like the typical apmex mint direct holder. Guess PCGS must now certify that it's straight from tube to holder. I have purchased the apmex mint direct in the past but only when found at spot or less. Graded / first strike slabbed bullion premium is the scam of the millennium. It all milk spots and tones just the same as any coin straight from the monster box.

Found at "spot or less?" I would love to see a site or auction venue that made that offer.

eBay, greatest coin store on planet earth.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@blitzdude said:

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

I've been a buyer & seller on ebay for 20+ years and the only time anything resembling your spot purchases, are made by sellers located in China ;) Do you have a link of an auction that sold at spot or below spot for ASE's on ebay?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind having an ASE in one of those holders since they look interesting but I certainly would pay a big premium for one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPA
    While I don't go down this road, I think if you happen to have good luck/timing & combine all offers, wrong category listings & credit card rebates then it is possible to buy silver & gold below spot.

Seems like a lot of time & trouble to me to save a buck here & there. But it is part of some peoples plan.

Have a nice day

@streeter said:
    OPA
    While I don't go down this road, I think if you happen to have good luck/timing & combine all offers, wrong category listings & credit card rebates then it is possible to buy silver & gold below spot.

Seems like a lot of time & trouble to me to save a buck here & there. But it is part of some peoples plan.

I agree with your comment on common date bullion rounds or bars. I've managed to acquire some the same way. However, I am having a difficult time in believing that it was possible to buy "Mint Direct" ASE tubes at spot or below. Having sold those products for a number of years in the past, they inevitably sold for a premium over non Mint Direct - US Mint tube housed ones. BTW a majority of ASE's in US Mint Tubes (non Mint Direct) sold at a minimum of $2+ per coin over spot. I have no idea what the current premium over spot is, since I have not dealt in ASE's in several years.

edited January 9, 2020 12:28PM

The 2020 Mint Direct Premier product being discussed is not the same as the Mint Direct (non-premier) product that has been around for a while.

Placed in the pictured holder by APMEX, should PCGS make them First Strike eligible indefinitely? Or to put it another way, should APMEX be allowed to be part of the chain of custody in certifying them First Strike at a later date?

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2020 12:44PM

Note to New Stackers: Don't chase these Star Belly Sneeches.
    You are paying a needless premium on regular bullion.
    Just buy standard SAE rolls from a reputable dealer or trusted seller on this very board.

Loves me some shiny!
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPA
    I usually don't buy mint boxes of ASE's ....usually a few oddball backdated rolls & partial rolls for $1-2 over.
    I think Jack Hunt was recently +$2.25 over. I'm not sure if that is retail or to the trade. Guys I know add 30-40 cents for the paperwork. That's $150-200 per box.

Have a nice day
    edited January 9, 2020 4:49PM

streeter...The bullion version of ASE's come in Mint Tubes of 20. A Mint "Monster Box" has 25 tubes in it. (total of 500 ASE's) I'm confused in your: "That's $150-200 per box" statement. Not sure what you are referring to

edit...Never mind...I just realized you are referring to the cost of the paper work.

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Old news from months ago. Good to see though, adds value to the sealed rolls and will keep grabbing rolls of them when they go on sale. Singles are a nice way for people to get graded versions if they care about graded FS versions as grading an entire roll is a bit impractical. Win/win, nice to see the partnership deal even if not a fan of the whole FS thing.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2020 7:54AM

They have this for Aussie Koalas now too...for the smooth extra priced plastic tomb.

BU regular old just fine Koala that comes in a plastic capsule already - $21.57 as of this time.
    Koala in one of these holders - $24.07

Nope here, I'll take the same coin in the other plastic for $3 less.

To edit/add, looks like Koalas have had this for 3 years now.
    2018 - $26
    2019 - $24

edited January 10, 2020 10:22AM

@DrBuster said:

To edit/add, looks like Koalas have had this for 3 years now.
    2018 - $26
    2019 - $24

Most of you are missing the difference between what is pictured in the OP and previous APMEX Mint Direct coins. Note the PCGS logo in the OP pic. First year for this (APMEX also offering it with 20 mint tubes for 2020) and first year for PCGS to offer no deadline for a First Strike designation for coins in this first year, unique APMEX holder.

2018 & 19 koalas are Mint Direct Premier with no PCGS logo. They are not indefinitely eligible for a PCGS First Strike label as is the 2020 coin pictured in the OP. 2020 appears to be the first year of the APMEX/PCGS First Strike label eligible partnership. Prior to 2020 PCGS would not give a First Strike to an APMEX Mint Direct coin unless the coin (regardless of packaging) were submitted within 30 days of issue. With this new "partnership" there is no deadline for the APMEX sealed premier coin (with the PCGS logo) to be submitted to PCGS for first strike.

edited January 10, 2020 10:26AM

@blitzdude said:
    Just looks like the typical apmex mint direct holder. Guess PCGS must now certify that it's straight from tube to holder.

Nope different holder, new in 2020, note the PCGS logo on the holder. PCGS is allowing APMEX to certify coin went from tube to APMEX holder withing 30 days (by calling it "premier" and including PCGS logo on the APMEX holder). PCGS will then recognize APMEX's certification that coin went into APMEX holder within 30 days of issue and apply the PCGS First Strike label anytime in the future. APMEX is now a part of the chain of custody for a coin that is certified by PCGS as a First Strike coin.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

I've been a buyer & seller on ebay for 20+ years and the only time anything resembling your spot purchases, are made by sellers located in China ;) Do you have a link of an auction that sold at spot or below spot for ASE's on ebay?

Are you actively watching newly listed eBay listings in the coin section? I find stuff listed under melt regularly...most if it is junk I don't want, like kennedies or roosies, so I don't bother.

A group of us "younger" coin collectors have a discord (modern chat room) where we regularly find/post links to ebay listings that are at melt or below. I've found genuine gold coins listed for under melt. I usually save those sellers and keep an eye on what else they list in case they list something better under melt. Is it always worth my time to be hitting F5 on new ebay coins listings? Sure, while I'm at work already getting paid... :D

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:
    Just looks like the typical apmex mint direct holder. Guess PCGS must now certify that it's straight from tube to holder.

Nope different holder, new in 2020, note the PCGS logo on the holder. PCGS is allowing APMEX to certify coin went from tube to APMEX holder withing 30 days (by calling it "premier" and including PCGS logo on the APMEX holder). PCGS will then recognize APMEX's certification that coin went into APMEX holder within 30 days of issue and apply the PCGS First Strike label anytime in the future. APMEX is now a part of the chain of custody for a coin that is certified by PCGS as a First Strike coin.

Yeah I know for $7 more. Who cares if it's 30 days old? Doesn't look any different or weigh any more than one that is 60 days old. It's still just an ounce of silver.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.