Home Metal Detecting
Options

I never thought about researching stage coach routes and where they stopped.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 7, 2020 5:24AM in Metal Detecting

I never thought about researching stage coach routes and where they stopped, but it would be interesting.

Deep in the Vermont mountains, I metal detect the stone ruins of a colonial era stagecoach stop and find pieces of America's history that I never would have expected.

https://youtu.be/mtyj4y_hOjw

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2020 5:45AM

Actually, now that I think of it, this stop is 10 minutes from me........[I've eaten dinner there many times]..............probably be arrested with a detector in my hands though.

LONGFELLOW’S WAYSIDE INN

The Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Mass., boasts that it’s the oldest operating inn in the United States. It has accommodated travelers along the Boston Post Road since 1716. Just a few miles down the road from historic Minuteman National Historical Park in Concord, it began life 300 years ago as Howe’s Tavern. David Howe ran it as an extension of his own home.

David handed the property to his son Ezekial – a soldier in Sudbury’s militia during the American Revolution. The Howe family continued to operate and expand the inn until 1861, serving traffic between Worcester and Boston.

The inn stopped operating as a traditional inn in 1861. The owners converted it into something more like a boarding house and dance hall.

But in 1862, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow sealed the inn’s place in history. Longfellow visited the building and published his now-famous Tales of the Wayside Inn in 1863. From that time on, the inn was the destination of tourists and literary pilgrims who wanted to see first-hand the inspiration for Longfellow’s book.

In 1923, the inn took another important step into immortality when automobile magnate Henry Ford bought the property. Ford then began the restoration and expansion that gave shape to the inn’s current configuration.

More existing stage coach inns here http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/6-historic-stagecoach-stops-can-visit/

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information and video....I will have to watch the video in sections.... got a lot to do today. Cheers, RickO