Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Collection Highlight videos!

AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2020 10:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've recently started watching a few silver stackers on YouTube and always wish they'd cover more numismatic coins, so I decided to start making my own coin videos. This is the first in a series that will showcase highlights from my personal collection. Up first is my favorite classic gold commem.

https://youtu.be/9PEvs2lF_Ds

This being the first video in the series, I hope you'll check it out and let me know what you think. Any feedback on information or features that should be added to future videos in this series will be duly noted! Are there any YouTubers you enjoy who cover more than junk silver and rounds? I'd love to check them out.

Edit: I will post future videos in this thread, but I will also index them here at the top to make them easy to find.
Episode Two: 1795 Middlesex-Forster's Token

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, even your slabs get the "white glove treatment". Classy, but I think leather would even kick it up a notch. :)

Loved those 2 cent stamps toward the end of the video.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2020 3:55PM

Congrats! That's a great video and beautiful coin. Loved watching it and the associated bell and stamp as well. I was really impressed by the size of the bell relative to the car! I hope you make more!

• AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Wow, even your slabs get the "white glove treatment". Classy, but I think leather would even kick it up a notch. :)

No matter how well I take care of my nails/cuticles, I figure no one wants to see them under a macro lens. It's one gripe I have about all the guys who hold coins up to their cameras. But also allows me to handle the stamps and other stuff without leaving oils every time.

Thanks! I like the design of the stamps almost as much as the coin. :)

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice presentation. I watch a lot of the stacker, coin show/shop pickups and some unboxing videos.

@Hallco said:
    Nice presentation. I watch a lot of the stacker, coin show/shop pickups and some unboxing videos.

Unboxing videos are really popular. Imagine unboxing PCGS submissions to see what grades you achieved?

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Hallco said:

Unboxing videos are really popular. Imagine unboxing PCGS submissions to see what grades you achieved?

Exactly! I have seen a few where this happens. The person says they did not view the grades prior to receiving them back from PCGS(or other services) and they are opening the box and reacting to the results on the video. Obviously some are happy as expected and others.....well, disappointed could certainly be one of the words to describe the outcome! :D

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2020 4:38PM

Nice video. I’ll look out for future videos. Check out @Senator32 He has some great videos....

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Newman Library Washinton University Portal has a ton of coin videos.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@Crusty said:
    Nice video. I’ll look out for future videos. Check out @Senator32 He has some great videos....

@bidask said:
    The Newman Library Washinton University Portal has a ton of coin videos.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/

Thanks for the additional resources!

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Hallco said:

There are already videos of that on YouTube, Lol. PCGS has a few grading videos on their official YT site. I’m glad to encourage all quality numismatic videos.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work! I like Coin geek's youtube videos.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very professional, and very interesting. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice touch ! Keep 'em coming

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice video and a really nice gold coin.... I am not a stamp collector, but they looked interesting....Cheers, RickO

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a really well done video. For a short video it was very informative with a lot of information that covered everything from the history of the coin, how/where it was issued and all the way through grading.

Very well done and thanks for sharing it. Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very good vid! Thanks for sharing/posting @AlanLastufka.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic presentation @AlanLastufka :)
    Great Job
    As you create more you could post them on your own "Lastufka" thread here.
    1630 Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston said:
    As you create more you could post them on your own "Lastufka" thread here.

Or just name this one to be the "Lastufka videos" thread :)

Thanks again everyone for the feedback, really happy to hear so many enjoyed it! I like the idea of having a thread for videos, would it make sense to always edit the top post with the newest video? Or should I just post the latest video as a new comment? (not sure if a new video gets buried two, three... ten pages deep if it would be seen?)

Episode Two is now up! Here we take a look at my 1795 Middlesex-Forster's Token, the coin that kick-started my (award-winning) Symphony Set!

https://youtu.be/olRZ9A6kwVs

(also I didn't post these separately, because they were a bit heavy on the ATS references, but if you're interested, I also uploaded a video about Unboxing Nine Boxes of Gold and Silver, and one asking whether 2020 Proof Silver Eagles were Profitable?)

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, very well done and informative video. Interesting background on the 1795 Middlesex-Forster's Token.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's cool

Great presentation

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@divecchia said:
    Again, very well done and informative video. Interesting background on the 1795 Middlesex-Forster's Token.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

@johnny9434 said:
    that's cool

@1630Boston said:
    Great presentation

Thanks everyone! Appreciate you taking the time to watch and respond. I'm already looking forward to working on the next episode.

How long have you been collecting coins and tokens @AlanLastufka ?

@1630Boston said:
    How long have you been collecting coins and tokens @AlanLastufka ?

I started collecting around 2010, before that I'd had a small shoebox of cool coins I found in change, etc, but nothing serious, and it's been on and off since 2010. My biggest buying years were 2011 through 2013, but then I sold almost all of it off in 2016 to fund a move across the country and a new home purchase (some of them I really regret, I had an amazing MS 63 RB DDO 55 Lincoln that I doubt I'll be able to replace with one as nice/unique, but the move went smoothly and the paid off house is nice!).

Now that the dust has settled on that, and I have some free time, I'm getting back into it (just started buying again about a month ago). My dad and grandpa both collected, but on the lower end of stuff (my grandpa put together circulated date sets in folders, my dad mostly bought proof sets and commems from the US and Canadian Mints).

I'm currently mostly interested in classic gold commems and putting together a high-grade US type set, both of which I've just recently started.

@AlanLastufka said:
    ...some of them I really regret, I had an amazing MS 63 RB DDO 55 Lincoln that I doubt I'll be able to replace with one as nice/unique, but the move went smoothly and the paid off house is nice!)..

Here's my picture of the 55 DDO, again it is sold, sadly, and probably the only piece I'd bring back if I could. The rest are replaceable.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo!

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the video. Nice effort.
    Nitpick: Coin is not pure gold. 90/10 Au/Cu.
    It will be interesting watching your video series.

@JBN said:

Thanks!

I did clarify the 90/10 in the video's text description on YouTube. I misspoke because I don't write out a script for these videos, I just sit down, pick up the coin, and start talking. I've found I sound more robotic if I script it out and just read that, so I'd rather sound more human, accepting that I'll probably flub a few things along the way by not scripting. I do appreciate you watching though!

• SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done fun watching

• 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Vert, very nice! Top Shelf presentations. Thanks.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanLastufka said:

@JBN said:

Thanks!

I did clarify the 90/10 in the video's text description on YouTube. I misspoke because I don't write out a script for these videos, I just sit down, pick up the coin, and start talking. I've found I sound more robotic if I script it out and just read that, so I'd rather sound more human, accepting that I'll probably flub a few things along the way by not scripting. I do appreciate you watching though!

All good. Your second video is fab. Look forward to more. Thanks.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanLastufka said:

@CoinJunkie said:

No matter how well I take care of my nails/cuticles, I figure no one wants to see them under a macro lens. It's one gripe I have about all the guys who hold coins up to their cameras. But also allows me to handle the stamps and other stuff without leaving oils every time.

Thanks! I like the design of the stamps almost as much as the coin. :)

OK, I get the hint. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file