Home Precious Metals

1/10 oz. Gold eagle deals

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 5, 2020 8:27AM in Precious Metals

I got a deal last week, up to 10 1/10 oz gold eagles for $1450 delivered. Also they throw in a silver eagle in an MS70 holder! How many of these deals are there? Edited to add, companies selling 1/10 oz gold coins at below bullion?

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 8:53AM

who is selling at this price? gotta be a promo to build their mailing and telephone call list. Don't give them your real phone number.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen these adds in magazines & newspapers. Did any forum member ever complete an "advertised" successful buy from those adds?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well thanks for alerting us to this amazing deal.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I got a deal last week, up to 10 1/10 oz gold eagles for $1450 delivered. Also they throw in a silver eagle in an MS70 holder! How many of these deals are there? Edited to add, companies selling 1/10 oz gold coins at below bullion?

The words ‘up to’ concern me.

@Smudge said:

@logger7 said:

likely a limit of 10

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2020 1:27PM

@derryb said:
    who is selling at this price? gotta be a promo to build their mailing and telephone call list. Don't give them your real phone number.

I'm glad to get a good deal, and my sales resistance is such that they won't be selling me MS70 quarter eagles for $2000 as much as they would like to after the loss leader.

• CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 3:37PM

@Smudge said:

@logger7 said:

10 is the max you can buy and have to buy a minimum of 5 to get the MS70 ASE signed by Don Everhart, master coin designer for the U.S Mint. The offer @ $145 apiece has expired but their still selling at below spot. I bought 10 yesterday and had a great conversation with the sales rep who also collects coins. Happy with the transaction and tomorrow is going to be one heck of a crazy day with gold AND oil!!

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

It appears you have to enter a valid phone number, as the order form doesn't include the ability to pay. You enter your information and they call you back to complete the order. They also don't indicate if the price quoted is for check, wire transfer or credit card.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:
    It appears you have to enter a valid phone number, as the order form doesn't include the ability to pay. You enter your information and they call you back to complete the order. They also don't indicate if the price quoted is for check, wire transfer or credit card.

IIRC, the price quoted is for all three types of payments. I did this before and I don't believe I was charged extra for using my credit card.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

Well - I called and ordered 10. $1500 delivered and used a credit card with 1.5% cashback. No free silver eagle, but I was offered a chance to purchase a 2019 $10 AGE graded MS70 by NGC and signed by Don Everhart for only $900! Probably should have bought it as the normal price is $1400 and it will be a $2-$3000 coin in a couple years...

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local dealer who knew I stacked offered me to swap ounce for ounce tenth eagles for one ounce eagles.
    He had 1850 of them.
    Probably should have in retrospect. The weird thing was that the one ounce had the premium at the time.
    $900 area.
    My speculation is that during "runs" retail customers want ounce coins as they "think" in ounces.
    Who knew? Or knows?

@topstuf said:
    A local dealer who knew I stacked offered me to swap ounce for ounce tenth eagles for one ounce eagles.
    He had 1850 of them.
    Probably should have in retrospect. The weird thing was that the one ounce had the premium at the time.
    $900 area.
    My speculation is that during "runs" retail customers want ounce coins as they "think" in ounces.
    Who knew? Or knows?

I wasn't bright at the start of my stacking days. I started with fractionals and traded them all away for full ouncers, ounce for ounce. I just had to have those nice big 1oz coins and lost quite a bit of premium in the process. Since I have stacked both but it's anyone's guess who will want what when the SHTF. Gold is gold they say.

Hindsight is perfect; I had a lot of 1/10 Platinum eagles in 99, traded them on unfavorable terms for 1/10 gold before Y2k. Also bought a low of gold eagles at the bottom, around $260 and several monster boxes of silver eagles, also palladium rounds. You see the prices keep going up and don't know when to sell. Very few get out at the top. Bears make money, bulls make money...but "Hogs invariably get slaughtered", lol.

edited January 12, 2020 1:28PM

The original point of this thread are that there must be other companies running this type of loss leader. The company said there were 5 or 6 doing it. I've never been able to buy gold below dealer cost or at least current spot.

edited January 8, 2020 11:52AM

@taxmad said:
    Well - I called and ordered 10. $1500 delivered and used a credit card with 1.5% cashback. No free silver eagle, but I was offered a chance to purchase a 2019 $10 AGE graded MS70 by NGC and signed by Don Everhart for only $900! Probably should have bought it as the normal price is $1400 and it will be a $2-$3000 coin in a couple years...

I've heard that con before, rare, low pop., etc.. That is false and misleading advertising. Plus the guy I spoke to said that they would hold the bag for me, ie buy the coins back at the new higher prices, what a laugh! If they call me to sell more I will deal with that like robocalls, unless they have quality product at the right price.

@logger7 said:
    The original point of this thread are that there must be other companies running this type of loss leader. Nationwide said there were 5 or 6 doing it. I've never been able to buy gold below dealer cost or at least current spot.

Thanks for the heads-up by the way!

I have seen offers like this in Field & Stream and Outdoor Life before, but usually just for one or two coins. I honestly didn't think this would work - $100 seems high for a customer.

@taxmad said:

Yep, I placed an order, but they're calling the wrong number trying to collect payment.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@taxmad said:

Yep, I placed an order, but they're calling the wrong number trying to collect payment.

Those silly guys.... :D>:)

My shipment of 10 plus the Eagle is due to arrive tomorrow. I would have sold it last night @$1,600 to APMEX if
    it were possible!

• EfnickEfnick Posts: 44 ✭✭

@Commencents said:

My shipment of 10 plus the Eagle is due to arrive tomorrow. I would have sold it last night @$1,600 to APMEX if
    it were possible!

Did anyone ever land this deal?

I got the deal; 10 tenth eagles $1450, local shop was paying $1560 today.

edited January 10, 2020 8:13PM

The 2019 MS70 ASE signed by Don Everhart was a bonus too. Sold mine today to a online bullion dealer but not for quite as much as @logger7 did!

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Commencents said:
    The 2019 MS70 ASE signed by Don Everhart was a bonus too. Sold mine today to a online bullion dealer but not for quite as much as @logger7 did!

Congrats. There is nothing better than taking a short term profit on items you do not collect. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Mine will be here Tuesday - and no silver dollar as that deal was done...

@logger7 @Commencents - random year BU's in the package?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now at $150/$5 Au

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was still working I did an appraisal on a "collection" of vastly overpriced slabbed coins that had started out with a senior citizen buying five gold 1/10th eagles for slightly under melt. Before he died 18 months later the telemarketers sunk their fangs into him and he had taken $1,000,000 out of his IRA, incurring a tax liability for that, and bought coins that I offered $400,000 for.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

I looked at the company's literature and there was a fallacy on every page, IMO. The investment potential of modern certified ms70s, with graphs showing historical performance, etc., etc.. Since bashing and airing concerns are against the rules here I will stop at that.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Commencents said:

Looks like you got some proofs!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I got proofs as well, identical packed to above, 2010 dated if curious

edited January 11, 2020 5:50PM

@Kliao said:

@Commencents said:

Looks like you got some proofs

Yes,they sent 8 proofs and 2 BU's all high grade.

I was tempted to keep some and maybe have have a jeweler put them into a necklace or perhaps earrings Lol.
    They are pretty little things!

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I've got 10 on the way. How can you tell the difference between proof and BU?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet

Easiest way to explain is with pics:

From CoinFacts:

MS69

PR69 Deep Cameo

Nationwide is still offering their "come on" deal, as my father used to say, with a 1 oz. US eagle and MS70 NGC silver eagle for $1700 last I checked. I screen my calls so have not picked up when they tried to sell me inflated 1/4 oz. gold MS70 "rare" coins later.

@dontippet said:
    I've got 10 on the way. How can you tell the difference between proof and BU?

proof finish with a mintmark.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh I need 1/10 oz eagles and they’re sold out. I needed to get in on this! :D

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

What type of dealers have these kinds of offers? Nationwide is one such company? So, the catch is they will be calling to try and sell more stuff? So, the initial bargain price is for real, otherwise?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

@DeutscherGeist said:
    What type of dealers have these kinds of offers? Nationwide is one such company? So, the catch is they will be calling to try and sell more stuff? So, the initial bargain price is for real, otherwise?

I never dealt with nationwide specifically but did similar deal with that govmint.com. After about a month I started receiving loads of junk mail from many coin outlets. No doubt they sell your information to other parties. Initially I did receive some calls trying to sell me metals but I just played dumb, don't know what you are talking about, I never bought metals, you got wrong number etc. The calls eventually stopped but still get all the junk mail. If my postal carrier didn't know before then that I was into coins and bullion she certainly knows now.

Yes the bargain is real, consider it tuition for future harassment.

Blitzdude,

Thank you for the full response and the details you highlighted. This really helps me see the overall business model that companies like Nationwide and govmint.com (I also heard about them) engage in. I do now recall seeing their advertisements in newspapers or miscellaneous junk mail that I get. Their offers looked tempting, but I always feared fake coins or some kind of surprise fee for purchase. I was worried about a surprise catch that I did not anticipate. Now it is clear from you and others that the catch is getting phone calls and junk mail. I used to get phone calls from Monex, but that was a long time ago and cannot remember how I got connected to them, but never did I purchase anything from the company.

Just as an aside, the problem with junk mail is 1) it is not environmentally friendly, 2) the postal carrier will be aware of your hobby 3) if you are out on vacation, a pile of junk mail in front of the house can be a signal to home invaders that the coast is clear

Although we love our hobby so much and enjoy sharing our passion, it is better to keep the hobby low key as possible as one never knows how information travels and to whom. Your best friend may not want anything bad to happen to you, but they may talk casually to some acquaintances and that goes on to other acquaintances. You never know who is listening and carefully gathering information and clues.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

Seeing how coin telemarketers operate is important if you 'bite the cheese' of incentive type offers. 20 plus years ago I dealt with a Wall Street Journal advertiser, "Numisgroup". I'm surprised that the WSJ didn't do a better job of screening their smaller advertisers. I bought a "loss leader" that was a good deal; then I bought an uncertified $10 Indian they called "MS64" for $800 or so if I remember right, they said they had a "former" NGC and/or PCGS" grader. I showed it to a local numismatist who called it AU53 at best though it had a light scratch on the pedestal under the face. I returned it. I was looking for an alternative to the Wall Street financial "investments" that I never really trusted. From the frying pan into the fire. Scott Travers gave me some insights and how to act moving forward.

You just have to see these "deals" for what they are, attempts to hook the gullible. Protect yourself and maybe you can get their current "deal" without harassment.

I just checked Nationwide and they are all out of the 1/10 oz gold coins.

Would Littleton also fall in this category? I remember they offered these good upfront deals just to get you on their mailing list. They would send coins out that you did not order for you to purchase. I sent them back and told them no thanks. They were not anything valuable, but I was not going to keep them just on principle.

I remember a few years ago seeing a great deal on a 1 oz gold Buffalo from one of these companies. It was tempting, but at the time, I just did not want to deal with any fine print that I might of missed, so I passed on it.

I still have my 10 $5 AGEs. I have received two calls - and several mailings from coin companies that have the misspelling in my name I gave them. In this day and age, you data is collected multiple times a day - usually in exchange for nothing more than access to a website or ten-cents off a loaf of bread.

Just don't buy what they are selling - just like you don't buy everything in the ads on your computer screen

@DeutscherGeist said:
    I just checked Nationwide and they are all out of the 1/10 oz gold coins.

Would Littleton also fall in this category? I remember they offered these good upfront deals just to get you on their mailing list. They would send coins out that you did not order for you to purchase. I sent them back and told them no thanks. They were not anything valuable, but I was not going to keep them just on principle.

I remember a few years ago seeing a great deal on a 1 oz gold Buffalo from one of these companies. It was tempting, but at the time, I just did not want to deal with any fine print that I might of missed, so I passed on it.

There are a few companies like that which have angered many people. One was David Letterman complaining on air about their tactics. I have heard others about Littleton, swooping down on large hoards that they bought. Another company fanned the flames of a an elderly antique store owner regarding how they pushed hard to get his father hooked on their offerings. He called them up in a spate of anger, saying that if they didn't stop "one of us will end up in the hospital and the other in jail"!