Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which book in your library do you use the most?

Comments

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resplandores is my most used book.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, wish they published an update

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

What one collects with the most passion will dictate what reference is likely used the most. Another issue remains that research published in the format of a book for certain series of coins from various countries is either not readily available or may not be current or even somewhat dated. I suppose the references selected or needed would depend on how deeply one dives into die varieties. So I guess I am fortunate enough to have the references I have even though it remains inadequate for some.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I do like and enjoy the Dunigan book

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still use The Red Book four to twenty times a day.

The miracle was that Resplandores was published in the first place. I heard a lot about that many years ago.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Coins of the Early Mexican Republic, R A long. And too I wish there was an update...

• Options

But maybe, the new Calico will take over...

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the KM catalogs, although most of the time it's just to look up the cheap crap that I can't wait to get rid of.

For the more meaningful coins, Calico gets the most use.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Charlton catalogues for Canadian coins and tokens. Just ordered the 2020 Tokens edition (released in Nov 2019).

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 6:20AM

@Senator32 said:
    Resplandores is my most used book.

I use that extensively too as I have a registry of these coins .

@Senator32 ...curious why you use that book the most ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    @Senator32 ...curious why you use that book the most ?

I just tend to run into more Cap and Rays raw than a lot of foreign coins. Most of the the time in low grades, but have found several fun overdates using this book.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

SCBC. It’s a lot of information in a relatively modest size.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chopmarked Coins by Gullberg. Not really a reference, but about as close as it gets for chop marked coins.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yonaka's book on the pillar subsidiary mints (excluding Mexico). I used to use Gilboy the most before it was published. There are no references for the other coins I still want to buy now (Spanish colonial quarter real and Bolivian decimals).

• Options

@WCC said:
    Yonaka's book on the pillar subsidiary mints (excluding Mexico). I used to use Gilboy the most before it was published. There are no references for the other coins I still want to buy now (Spanish colonial quarter real and Bolivian decimals).

Me too

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Krause World Coins - all of them.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Libary?
    Tattered and torn,
    My Composition Notebook.
    You know the one, as a copy book.
    (Black and white, marble stone looking)

What ?

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charlton catalogues for Canadian coins and tokens. Spink Standard Catalogue of British Coins and Rotographic comprehensive price-guide to British pre-decimal coins 1760 - 1970.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

As some of you know, I collect Early Dated European coins, pre 1500 A.D. I use
    Robert Levinson's book on that topic. "The Early Dated coins of Europe 1234-1500".
    In early December, I received the new 2nd edition. Up to date with colour pics and
    over 150+ new pieces added. I have a couple of hundred reference books, mostly
    U.S. related. Bob's book is the one I use daily. Happy New Year to all!!

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Brad Yonaka's new book on Mo Portrait 8 reales is going to move to the front of my library when it comes out, (hopefully very soon), pushing the Gilboy and Dunigan books out of first spot in my library. A good reference for portraits has been needed for a long time.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

19th century Krause book.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Doing Italian, it's Gigante and Montenegro

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting selection of books

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

My JNDA. I update most years and copy my notes forward including marks for my 'haves'. Keeps me from over-duplicating. I was going to skip this year but a certain miscreant chewed up part of the 2019. Naughty, naughty, dog.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately I've been using the Friedberg book quite often.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy8s said:
    Brad Yonaka's new book on Mo Portrait 8 reales is going to move to the front of my library when it comes out, (hopefully very soon), pushing the Gilboy and Dunigan books out of first spot in my library. A good reference for portraits has been needed for a long time.

I don't collect Portraits of any denomination and have no intention of doing so. This is still a book I would like to own.

• Options

After reading this thread, I did not realize how many collectors of Central American
    and South American coinage there are on this forum. Adding to my New Years resolutions,
    I will investigate this area of coin collecting.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor FYI Mexico is part of North America.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy8s said:

I did not know that Brad was issuing this -- my fault for missing the last USMEX conference. Thanks for posting about it John!

• Options

@pruebas My mistake.

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Volume 5

I'm just crazy about Secessionist Medals :#

We're currently rebuilding the forum to be used as an online reference site.
    https://secessionistmedals.com

• Options

Cacheman... Great to see you posting. Hope all is well. Thanks for the link.

Just curious if you have an interest in secessionist pottery and other forms besides medals?

As I suspect you know, the successionist movement extended into many forms... All of which are interesting... Perhaps some more than others.

• Options

Love your dog Stork... So the truth... Is your dog as relaxed and adorable as in the picture? If not, it just doesn't matter... I'm already sold.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Love your dog Stork... So the truth... Is your dog as relaxed and adorable as in the picture? If not, it just doesn't matter... I'm already sold.

As greyhounds go she is a bit energetic. But she still spends about 20 hours a day (at least) lounging. And she gets into things. Lots of things. She chewed up several pages in my JNDA for example. I threatened to return her to the adoption kennel (not serious of course). But in general greyhounds are pretty lazy. THen again, most become family pets as adults so the puppy silliness is behind them.

And yes, she is that adorable!

• Options

My brother had a greyhound... And that was decades ago. Over time, i suppose I have forgotten how energetic they can be. A great photo that brought back some great memories...

• Options

Numismatic Espanola just arrived...

• Options

@MrEureka said:

For the more meaningful coins, Calico gets the most use.

Just got my Calico. And discovered that one of my coins made it as plate for Cal 973 B) . Funny given that it was minted after the independence so I would have never imagine that Spain would claim it as it's own.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Calico was available at NYINC.