Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Steel? 1909 VDB Penny

Good evening everyone,

I found this 1909 VDB penny a while back and I have not been able to get any real answers about it.. It looks as though it is steel just like the war time pennies. I have uploaded a picture of the one that looks like its steel (the coin in question) along with a regular one just to show the difference. Has anyone seen anything like this? I find it hard to believe someone would go and dip the coin in something. Possible mint error? Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated!

(Pictures are from a Microscope)

-Heaton0825

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few test scratches on the suspect coin, so you are not the first person to notice this.

People are going to ask if you have the ability to weigh the coin.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    There are quite a few test scratches on the suspect coin, so you are not the first person to notice this.

People are going to ask if you have the ability to weigh the coin.

It weighs just around 3 grams

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Heaton0825 said:
    I find it hard to believe someone would go and dip the coin in something. Possible mint error? Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated!

No problem asking for advice, and you provided good photos. but I can't get past the above comment.

You find it hard to believe that someone would dip (plate) the coin, but you have an easier time believing the mint made a steel cent in 1909?? :#

Lots and lots of coins have been plated over the years for many reasons or for no reason at all.

Does your coin stick to a magnet? If not then you can rule out steel.

As already mentioned, the weight will be key.

I suspect that it is plated with something, but if it were an off-metal coin I'd suspect silver or nickel alloy before steel, but the strike looks good so it does not look like a wrong planchet error.

We'll see what others say.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was plated at some point after it left the mint. Your weight approximation also indicates that it's a standard copper planchet (3.11 gms)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

And welcome to the Forum!

• Options

A standard bronze small Cent is 3.11 grams.

Zinc coated steel Cent of 1943 is 2.70 grams.

Modern copper coated zinc Cent is 2.50 grams.

• Options

@JBK said:

@Heaton0825 said:
    I find it hard to believe someone would go and dip the coin in something. Possible mint error? Any help or theories would be greatly appreciated!

No problem asking for advice, and you provided good photos. but I can't get past the above comment.

You find it hard to believe that someone would dip (plate) the coin, but you have an easier time believing the mint made a steel cent in 1909?? :#

Lots and lots of coins have been plated over the years for many reasons or for no reason at all.

Does your coin stick to a magnet? If not then you can rule out steel.

As already mentioned, the weight will be key.

I suspect that it is plated with something, but if it were an off-metal coin I'd suspect silver or nickel alloy before steel, but the strike looks good so it does not look like a wrong planchet error.

We'll see what others say.

Very good points lol. I am a small-time collector and was really just intrigued by it. Thanks for your comment!

• Options

@JBK said:
    And welcome to the Forum!

Thank You!

• Options

Bleach or E-Z-Zest (commercial coin cleaning fluid) or other chemicals might produce a similar lightening of the surfaces. Need not be especially 'plated'.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Bleach or E-Z-Zest (commercial coin cleaning fluid) or other chemicals might produce a similar lightening of the surfaces. Need not be especially 'plated'.

The Microscope picture kind of makes it look much lighter compared to in person, but thats a possibility. I've never seen a bleached or cleaned coin like that. Thanks for your thoughts!

• Options

Now why don't you post a thread about the coin in your avatar! ;)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic! Hi and Welcome to School! I say school because you'll be taught in many areas. Such as in ethics, manners and in business. You came to the right place to learn about coins in general. Many members here are very knowledgeable in all coins. Don't be afraid to ask any questions and post often! Remember the most important thing is to have FUN. Congrats. on joining our Forum. I usually greet new members this way, using a school, to describe the Forum. You will most probably be the last member I greet for the closing year of 2019. Also the last for the decade! Once again, welcome to the Forum.-joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    Interesting topic! Hi and Welcome to School! I say school because you'll be taught in many areas. Such as in ethics, manners and in business. You came to the right place to learn about coins in general. Many members here are very knowledgeable in all coins. Don't be afraid to ask any questions and post often! Remember the most important thing is to have FUN. Congrats. on joining our Forum. I usually greet new members this way, using a school, to describe the Forum. You will most probably be the last member I greet for the closing year of 2019. Also the last for the decade! Once again, welcome to the Forum.-joey

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can from here & hopefully one day be able to pass the knowledge along to someone else :smile: Happy new year!

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

maybe it was rubbed with Mercury back in the day before it was bad for your health? Just my guess. some tried to pass them off as dimes when giving a lot of change to buy something more than penny candy.

• Options

@1Bufffan said:
    maybe it was rubbed with Mercury back in the day before it was bad for your health? Just my guess. some tried to pass them off as dimes when giving a lot of change to buy something more than penny candy.

I’ve never heard of that lol. Very interesting!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @1Bufffan and others.
    Likely silver plated or it could be immersion plated with mercury.
    I have done both to much cheaper coins in my lifetime.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heat will cause that look also.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Heaton0825....Welcome aboard.... When I was a kid, we often coated cents with mercury...just rubbed them with the liquid and it adhered, making the cent look 'silver'....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file