Home U.S. Coin Forum

I see Insider's cud picture and raise him a chunk of die steel

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider recently posted a picture of a nice Lincoln cent cud as part of a numismatic quiz. I see his cud and raise severely:

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is Amazing :o:o:o

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

That's the same cud you posted on the other thread, actually.

@messydesk said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

That's the same cud you posted on the other thread, actually.

OMG. LOL. I did not notice :o

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously the piece of die steel is unique, but the owner of this set asked me the other day how rare the cud cent is. Any ideas?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@CaptHenway said:
    Obviously the piece of die steel is unique, but the owner of this set asked me the other day how rare the cud cent is. Any ideas?

I would make an offer. Hard to price tho. Extremely Rare!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised only one cud coin was found in that bag,

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, I subscribe to the theory that the piece clung to the last successful strike in order to ride out the trip through the mechanical obstacle course to reach the bag.

Since the piece seems to have chipped off the face of the die rather than been a chunk that broke off the side of the die (as I had envisioned most cuds happening), I am wondering if there was any sign of the impending doom in advance. I expect there were no "retained cuds" produced with the broken area still appearing but at a different height on the surface of the coin, but perhaps there was a thin outline - a sort of die crack - on the last few coins produced before separation.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said: "The only other possible explanation is that the fragment separated from the die just as it was striking the last non-error coin that die made, and as the obverse die retracted from the coin the piece of die steel adhered to the (essentially normal) coin it had just struck. There are many errors known that resulted from a coin adhering to a die, so it is not inconceivable that a die fragment may have adhered to a coin."

This

"The interlocking of the positive and negative lettering may have held the fragment in place while the coin traversed the riddling and counting processes, only to fall off into the bag as the sewn bag was tossed around in storage and distribution."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly an amazing find... such a combination is an incredible stroke of good fortune. It will be interesting to see what such an error will sell for...One of a kind...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file