Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When does the decade begin and end anyway?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2019 6:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Based on another coin related thread here https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1030511/end-of-the-decade-post-your-coins-purchased-this-decade#latest

As January 1, 2020, approaches, everyone is reflecting about the past decade and the new one that awaits. "Best of the decade" lists are everywhere. #10YearChallenges are all over social media. And people are eagerly gearing up to celebrate the end of the 2010s.

But there's a slight problem.
We might be celebrating a year too early, at least according to some people.
The question of when exactly the current decade ends and the new one begins seems to come up every time the year on the calendar moves from ending in 9 to ending in 0. It came up in 1989. And in 1999. Then again in 2009.

The US Naval Observatory, the agency that maintains the country's master clock, tackled this question in 1999 as people debated when the new millennium would begin. According to the astronomical dating system through which it measures time, the observatory stated that the new millennium would begin on January 1, 2001.

Which means, according to the Farmers' Almanac, that the end of this decade is December 31, 2020, not December 31, 2019.

more here https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/21/us/when-does-the-decade-end-begin-trnd/index.html

post your thoughts and a coin

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of people consider the new decade to begin tomorrow when the odometer turns over from 19 to 20 at midnight.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I was going to say that @ElmerFusterpuck , CNN really has nothing to do with the thought process, there are many other discussions on this subject that I could have linked to.

Happy New Year no matter what decade we are in, leaving or entering. ;)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:
    A CNN article... Enough said.....

So the non-CNN authorities and sources cited in the article don’t count?

Enough not said.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:

@ricko said:
    If people would simply recognize that 1 begins the count and 10 is the terminal point of 'decade', it would be common knowledge....However, like common sense, it is not so common.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Wait. I clearly remember playing hide and seek as a kid and counting 0..1..2...3..4... ..haha.
    Everybody didn’t do that?
    Just kidding of course.
    But I am going to spend this decade(no matter when it starts) making sure important things are recognized. Like which direction the toilet paper is supposed To go on the roll.

Over, of course.

:p

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone means when does the decade end counting from the first year of this calendar system it’s 12/31/2020. But the definition of a decade is simply 10 years and there’s no requirement to say a decade must correspond to how many years have elapsed since year 1 (as there is no year 0). So in contemporary terms a decade will always be ending with a 9, so today.

The difference is between a decade and which decade of the calendar system. Both can co-exist quite nicely.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all bunk anyway... the year 1 was determined well after the fact, in the 400s...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 8:14AM

Given that later research determined that Christ was born in 4 B.C., then 2026 would be the end of the 203rd decade. [If you weren't confused enough.]

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 9:20AM

@CCGGG said:

Every so often there is some truth that slips into a CNN report as they "dumb-down" our nation.

BTW, the question of when a decade ends is a common one. The correct answer depends on TWO things. One of them is the quality of a person's education.

This I can say. If the folks who keep time for the USA say it is a year from now, WHO CARES? Why do we need clocks anyway? Let the ignorant and unwashed say the time is anything they wish! :p

Oh, the same goes for when the decade ends. Now, can you figure out the SECOND thing?

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

The year of the Rat is coming up and the washed here say "The decade ends with 2020 IF you count it from the beginning of 2011" :o:D:p

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rat or Mouse anyone?

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@CCGGG said:

Every so often there is some truth that slips into a CNN report as they "dumb-down" our nation.

BTW, the question of when a decade ends is a common one. The correct answer depends on TWO things. One of them is the quality of a person's education.

This I can say. If the folks who keep time for the USA say it is a year from now, WHO CARES? Why do we need clocks anyway? Let the ignorant and unwashed say the time is anything they wish! :p

Oh, the same goes for when the decade ends. Now, can you figure out the SECOND thing?

FFS. Enough said....

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP: Yes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2019 10:06AM

@Paradisefound said:
    ..... but when I was born I already 9 months old.

...and surely a blessing to your family and us! :) Happy New Year!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigjpst said:

@ricko said:
    If people would simply recognize that 1 begins the count and 10 is the terminal point of 'decade', it would be common knowledge....However, like common sense, it is not so common.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Wait. I clearly remember playing hide and seek as a kid and counting 0..1..2...3..4... ..haha.
    Everybody didn’t do that?
    Just kidding of course.
    But I am going to spend this decade(no matter when it starts) making sure important things are recognized. Like which direction the toilet paper is supposed To go on the roll.

The direction that TP comes off of the roll is more important, no?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 10:24AM

Because of the date ending in 20, we will be in the roaring Twenties.

Technically tho, we are still in the first decade of this century.

https://youtu.be/3svvCj4yhYc

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any predictions for 2020? Now, that I have been schooled in time. Y2K didn't care or matter. Do the aborigines where watches? I think not.

• Options

Do they collect coins, or eat rats? Who cares! Added for PC: o:) ...as long as they are happy and healthy. LOL.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The 20s clearly start tomorrow so, in the minds of most people, it begins then. Technically..... well, who cares?

Agree, This subject is kind of like "What year do Modern coins start?" , "Is Pluto a planet or not?" and "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

My answer is, "You tell me, champ!"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

>
    Although, that can't be right!
    😉

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:41AM

As long as the year is referred to "Twenty-Twenty" and not "Two Thousand and Twenty", I will be fine with it.

However, the Farmers Almanac states;

"As you think about New Year's resolutions, here's one we should all make together: resolve to insist that decades begin with the year ending in the numeral 1 and finish with a 0"

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/new-decade-2020-or-2021-100900?fbclid=IwAR1T94Fz16nD-Ij475deCqqiOLepAerx0kUAsPSkitslXqGB7KMKrCK6Rc8

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@Baley said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

>
    Although, that can't be right!
    😉

oops, mind fart!

Second decade, duh :#

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 11:43AM

@Baley said:

@BryceM said:
    The 20s clearly start tomorrow so, in the minds of most people, it begins then. Technically..... well, who cares?

Agree, This subject is kind of like "What year do Modern coins start?" , "Is Pluto a planet or not?" and "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

How about this coming from a "Chump." One of your examples is a CHANGING target date and without an "official" designation by some authoritative organization it would depend on age. The "angel thing" is a totally unknowable question and not even a good example as many folks don't believe they exist. The passage of time does. However, your example of Pluto is excellent. In the end, that one depends on the knowledge of each respondent just as the question being discussed here does also.

Many very knowledgeable folks (including astronomers) offer different opinions about Pluto. In the end, only one is correct. I cannot comment about Pluto at this time. I do side with the long held, established belief of properly educated folks along with the Farmer's and our government institution. :p

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:40AM

I think the new decade begins at 12:00 AM on January 1, 2020.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 11:45AM

@Paradisefound said:
    ..... but when I was born I already 9 months old :/:|

"I must confess, I was born at a very early age"
    Groucho Marx

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Start at Zero and count to ten on your fingers.

How many fingers did you count (assuming you did not have that ax accident)?

Ten Fingers right?

What does the number Ten end with, a zero right?

0 ends the decade.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

some people just insist on being right while they're stuck on stubborn stupid.

0 ends the decade. --- I wholeheartedly agree, except that it's at the end of whatever the year is that ends in "0" and not the beginning. like I said in my post above, this is a point which causes confusion in most people's minds and it can be hard to get past.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think everyone is correct,

If you go back to the proverbial beginning of time (the calendar, anyway), the first decade ended after ten years, which would have been December 31, 0010.

However, a decade is 10 years, so you can start the clock (or the calendar) at any point. The decade of the teens then could end on December 31, 2019.

• Options

Always the diplomat @jbk :)
    Happy New Year

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

Here's something to think about: a pregnancy lasts for about 280 days or 40 weeks. 40 weeks divided by 4 equals 10 months. :o

We have always known a pregnancy to last 9 months, but who set that timeframe? :*

Sort of like a year being 52 weeks, but also 12 months, We think of months being 4 weeks long but of course only one is, and even that one goes longer every four years.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 12:11PM

@Insider2 said:

@Baley said:

@BryceM said:

How about this coming from a "Chump." One of your examples is a CHANGING target date and without an "official" designation by some authoritative organization it would depend on age. The "angel thing" is a totally unknowable question and not even a good example as many folks don't believe they exist. The passage of time does. However, your example of Pluto is excellent. In the end, that one depends on the knowledge of each respondent just as the question being discussed here does also.

Many very knowledgeable folks (including astronomers) offer different opinions about Pluto. In the end, only one is correct. I cannot comment about Pluto at this time. I do side with the long held, established belief of properly educated folks along with the Farmer's and our government institution. :p

My comment was more about the people spending their precious life energy debating the subjects...
    thanks for illustrating the point so well!

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

@Paradisefound said:

"I must confess, I was born at a very early age"
    Groucho Marx

My grandfather used to say that he knew a man who could remember the day he was born. He recalls it being very dark and slimy and then someone slapped him.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Start at Zero and count to ten on your fingers.

How many fingers did you count (assuming you did not have that ax accident)?

Ten Fingers right?

What does the number Ten end with, a zero right?

0 ends the decade.

ROTF Howling!!! I knew it! Since I know your background and that of the teacher "educating" :( the children of unsuspecting parents, there could be no other answer from either of you. Thank you, thank you! <3
    What I posted above has been confirmed. :)

@JBK said: "I think everyone is correct,"

DITTO! You both get a "Participation Award Ribbon!" :'(:'(:'( So sad.

This discussion has been closed.