Home U.S. Coin Forum

1867 Shield Nickel with Rays - One last variety for the year...

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2019 9:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up this Shield Nickel a few weeks ago to fill the slot that was vacated earlier this year.

(sellers images)

I just thought that I would share.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and a great picture.... the details are almost 3D on my screen ....Cheers, RickO

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date looks repunched to the west, I see the top serif of the 1 to the left of the date and the top of a 6 and 7 between the digits. Is that a known variety and did you buy it as such?

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2019 9:46AM

The variety is known as 1867 Rays 5C RPD FS-303. The variety is not attributed on the holder...presently.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1867-rays-5c-rpd-fs-303-002-7/38322

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup.
    Apart from the added bonus of the rpd, I’ve always liked the ‘67 with rays as an under rated sleeper.
    Far less common than a ‘66, but very small price premium.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Here is the PUP from a different coin;

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool series IMHO, but I always have to go back to our own resident expert on this series when in doubt.

shieldnickels.net/snvarpop/SNVarPop.htm

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why, but I’m quite a fan of w/rays shield nickels. Nice pickup.

I am going to try and hold on to this one.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 6:35PM

NIce coins! I sold one without rays recently which are considerably more common.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file