Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Were Proof 1965 pennies ever minted?

ChrisleyChrisley Posts: 20
edited December 30, 2019 4:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

First of all happy holidays I hope all of you had a very nice Christmas. Just have one quick question please if you don't mind.

I was coin searching a few months back and came across a 1965 penny that has the same characteristics as all of the other proof pennies I own. Exactly the same. Although it might be difficult to make out in the pictures (due to my poor quality camera). Forgive me if I uploaded the same picture twice. I was just trying to get several different angles so you could better view how the coin (shown in pictures below) has an extremely deep mirrored surface just like every other proof penny that I own or have ever seen.

Did they make any proof 65s?
Thanks for any feedback,

![](https://us.v-

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

No proof 1965 cent .

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chrisley said:

I was coin searching a few months back and came across a 1965 penny that has the same characteristics as all of the other proof pennies I own. Exactly the same....the coin has an extremely deep mirrored surface just like every other proof penny that I own or have ever seen.

"Proof" is not a condition - it is a method of production. Just because a coin is shiny or even mirrored does not make it a proof.

If you own proof coins that look like the cent you posted, I assume they are probably dated in the early 1960s (based on the appearance of proof coins from those years and their reasonable cost/availability). If so, compare the details on the obverse and reverse and the sharp rims and flat edges.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Even if Proofs had been made that year, the coin doesn’t look like a Proof.

Agree.

That coin does not have mirrored proof fields.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did produce special mint sets - some of which look like proofs. Here is one of mine.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    They did produce special mint sets - some of which look like proofs. Here is one of mine.

Nice one!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin you show is a very beat up looking uncirculated coin. Value is one cent. Please buy a copy of "The Guide Book of United States Coins" (the Red Book) 73rd edition, 2020 and read it from cover to cover.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you wish to retain that coin for your collection, that is fine, but DO NOT kid yourself about it being worthy of any premium over face value. It is not.

The Red Book shown in the earlier picture costs approximately $16 and has 463 pages jam packed with color pictures and information. It is an excellent investment in your future!

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well.....at least no one trotted out the “penny or cent” thing. :-)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chrisley ....Welcome aboard..... Your cent is not a proof, as indicated by the preceding respondents...And I also recommend the Redbook to help you in your coin knowledge. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chrisley welcome to the CU forums.

While your waiting for the Red Book to arrive. This is a good link to take a peek at cents in general:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/lincoln-cent-wheat-reverse-1909-1958/46

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/lincoln-cent-modern-1959-date/47

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file