Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bonkers eBay PR for this clipped Indian cent

seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching this eBay auction for a clipped 1888 Indian cent, which closed earlier tonight:

https://ebay.com/itm/1888-Indian-Head-Penny-1C-Philadelphia-Mint-Clip-Error/153771846492

The coin opened at $20, which is a reasonable price for a generic clipped Indian cent like this. However, the bidding was active early and to my great surprise, the coin closed for nearly $225. I think one of two things was going on here:

1. The bidders attributed this coin is the Snow-1 overdate. I took a close look at the date and while the resolution is poor, there is something on the upper left side of the last 8 that, if you squint, might match up to the overdate.

The problem with attributing the coin is that the most prominent die marker for this variety, the cud over the ED of united, is exactly where the planchet is clipped. This leads me to my second theory.....

1. The bidders misattributed the coin as the Snow-1 overdate because of the clip. If someone is not an error collector, I could absolutely see them reading "broken die above ED in UNITED" and thinking the clip is caused by a "broken die".

I would love for some of the Indian cent gurus in the forum to take a look at the auction and tell me why you think the coin sold for such strong money.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

How common is this date with clips? Maybe a couple people needed it for their date set of Indian cent clips. It’s definitely not as common as the 1903, 1906, or 1907 with clips.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see what you see about a POSSIBLE overdate... but it's a stretch. It could just as easily be jpeg artifacts or just a piece of dirt. I'm not saying that it isn't. Takes some nerve to bid as if it is, based on that picture.

I suppose that if we see it relisted in a few weeks, that means that the buyer returned it as "isn't".

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure doesn't look like the overdate to me.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

It went for a good buck.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... even magnified, it is hard to say on the 8...The 1 also seems to have a 'shadow' on the lower right of the figure....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does 'PR' in the title mean ?
    The seller is in Puerto Rico ?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think Price Realized.

@thebeav said:

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

It is not the overdate. Just wishful thinking on someone's part. The lump on the lower part of the 8 is not nearly prominent enough and the upper spike is missing. eBay auctions are a great... If you know what you're looking at.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

There seems to be more money than sense in the current coin market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@thebeav said:

What we had here....... was a failure......... to communicate!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@amwldcoin said:

@thebeav said:

What we had here....... was a failure......... to communicate!

I was thinking Public Relations

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file