Home Precious Metals

Museo del Oro, Bogota Colombia

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hit this today on a full day tour with a bunch of other stuff. Pretty neat for a gold bug.

A large collection of pre-Colombian gold items, largest in the world if I read right. Very hard to photograph properly with a phone and the way they have things lit up, but man it’s cool.

Some big stuff, small stuff, but all really old stuff. Very neat to see. I highly recommend a stop if you are ever down in Bogota... I took a bunch of pics but here’s a few, size is hard to gauge from pics, but some of this stuff is big.

Comments

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enormously cool. And not bad photos, given the constraints. :)

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful post of amazing artifacts. I intend to spend some time researching the history of various pieces.
    Important stuff thank you for sharing.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super wow...Being a confirmed gold bug... this is like a pictorial Christmas present....Just beautiful... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

very cool!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 3:41PM

I wish I could remember everything about all the pieces. A lot of the stuff was for shamans, burial/funerals, religious type things.

The containers that have the sticks with them (3rd pic) were basically ‘powder’ containers that they mixed stuff in and then blew the mix at your face for hallucinogen rituals.

The masks were burial masks that were supposed to match the personality and life of the person.

Here’s some more

Helmet

Close up of the upper dress pieces

We only hit 2 of the floors.

Around it was a banking/money museum but we didn’t hit that due to time, but it supposedly had all kinds of the coins, gold and silver. And I didn’t bring my old Colombian 5 pesos down, would have been neat to see that collection but our guide said that would be a boring museum for everyone but me, ha!

Maybe we’ll hit that tomorrow if I can convince the wife, she wants to check out the botanical gardens.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know if you can buy gold bullion coins or Columbian collectible gold with USD hard currency? Are there retail stores that deal in it? Are USD sought after?
    Thanks. I was just wondering.

Have a nice day
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2019 7:22PM

@streeter said:
    Do you know if you can buy gold bullion coins or Columbian collectible gold with USD hard currency? Are there retail stores that deal in it? Are USD sought after?
    Thanks. I was just wondering.

I did not look for a numi shop but I see that there are a couple. I did not have the time to scout them out and try to hit one...couldn’t even get a cigar shop visit in to pick up some Cubans and had to overpay for some at duty free (rip off prices), just to say I got some in Colombia.

Dollars were accepted pretty much everywhere I saw.

Food/retail was cheap, you could a sandwich and a drink for less than $3, 60 cents for a bottle coke on the street, buck for a can of Colombian beer, etc.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to imagine how many central and South America Gold priceless artifacts were plundered by the Spanish and melted down. Glad these were saved.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions