Home Sports Talk

Paypal phishing scam discovered

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone here uses Paypal, a phishing scam has been uncovered, so be careful. The scam involves crafted emails sent to users of Paypal, claiming their Paypal account has experienced "unusual activity". You can check out the details of the scam at siliconangle.com

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank Buddy! My routine response to out of the ordinary emails and phone call’s requesting money or personal
    Information is always the same. I string them along to the moment I give them a few digits then a loud 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 to them and then end the communication 😂

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Thank Buddy! My routine response to out of the ordinary emails and phone call’s requesting money or personal
    Information is always the same. I string them along to the moment I give them a few digits then a loud 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 to them and then end the communication 😂

😂😂. I hear you loud and clear. I hate scammers.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the tip.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for letting us know.

I get so many junk calls that it might be getting hard to get me to answer the phone. I look at the caller ID messages very carefully.

The one that really makes me boil over starts by telling me that my Social Security payments are in jeopardy if I don’t respond immediately. I have enough gray matter left to know that it’s crap, but some old people I know, who are now missing a step now and then, might get taken in. There should a special prison for people who try to take advantage of the elderly with garbage like this, with daily doses of hard labor.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're all very welcome. You're all great people, and I want to make sure nobody gets taken in by these scum. They'll steal every penny from a person, and not even care one bit about doing it. It makes me sick to my stomach.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Thanks, I got something a few days ago as well.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Thanks for letting us know.

I get so many junk calls that it might be getting hard to get me to answer the phone. I look at the caller ID messages very carefully.

The one that really makes me boil over starts by telling me that my Social Security payments are in jeopardy if I don’t respond immediately. I have enough gray matter left to know that it’s crap, but some old people I know, who are now missing a step now and then, might get taken in. There should a special prison for people who try to take advantage of the elderly with garbage like this, with daily doses of hard labor.

The basic problem with picking up a "junk call" on the phone, is that the receiver gets placed on a scammer "cream list" of sorts meaning there's a live one on the end of the line to solicit. Then you wind up getting more and more of these calls.

If you don't recognize the caller ID, then never, and i do mean never pickup that phone call. Just let your voice mail message kick in, and erase any message after they hang up.

Without doing a dissertation, the bottom line is these criminal maggots are mostly looking for mentally infirm older folks who they can fool into falling for their scams.

Sorry to say that blocking their phone numbers is an exercise in futility. They've got countless amounts of phone numbers and most of them call from countries overseas where international calling is now dirt cheap, and they can evade any US prosecution for criminal activity. Again, just don't answer their phone calls. The prolific scammers will move on and focus instead on those who pickup their phone calls.