Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If You Started An Authentication/Grading Service Today...

Using what you've learned from your experiences and needs regarding 3rd party G/A, what would your business model look like? You're in charge. Go...

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Ok
    Now first of all if I were in charge....In reality I would never challenge PSA as they have a very good model now.
    I would look at this as a business and not necessarily as the perfect customer answer for all. The business would need to be profit motivated and at the same time the model would need to ensure customers would want to continue to do business with us. Customer needs and wants should drive business improvements. However don't fix what aint broke!!

I am a Yankee team set collector. I am sure other set collectors are in the same bind as I am, You cannot submit cards at $10 (bulk + S/h/Ins) at the cheapest level if they are only worth $15 at best in a PSA 10. A PSA 9 or worse is losing money. I would run a bulk special for around $5 for cards worth $25 or less. It would be for post 1969 cards from major manufacturers. Any variation would need to be specified by submitter. No fixed return time frame given. My new graders would work on these cards exclusively and not necessarily need to be card experts. Just knowing how to correctly grade. The PSA set registry is a powerful tool to keep business growing.

I would look at what other grading companies are doing things right as well.
    Namely SGC and Beckett. IMO all other grading companies receive little or no respect from collectors. An example are the domed grading holders for authenticated baseballs like Beckett has.. IMO collectors might want all their collection in the same holder. It is early enough for a company to start directly competing. I certainly wouldn't want to start a SGC card registry at this point ( I only do PSA. Period) Why do you all think SGC went to the 1-10 grading scale??

I would also offer a very high quality tamper proof case. Of course make it optional at extra cost. Keeping the same flip. I will expect many answers to this thread will deal with sub times. As a pure collector and not a dealer or reseller to me doing things right takes preference over doing things fast.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I appreciate the kind words about PSA from @jay0791. I'm shutting this one down. Too much potential for headaches.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
This discussion has been closed.