Home U.S. Coin Forum

To Grade or Not to Grade?

After careful consideration and agony I can’t for the life of me decide to have this coin graded or not. I have never graded a coin and am wanting to so bad and this coin is my best option at the moment. Thoughts anyone on grade? Thank You?

Tagged:

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO. Buy a graded coin you like off Ebay!

• What are your thoughts on the grade if any?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 11:04AM

You may get as high as 66 BN because the coin is not expensive. It depends on how they consider the amount of rub on the high points. I don't see anything lower than a 64 BN. It is a very attractive specimen.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why waste money on that coin....Just buy a slabbed one that you like...Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice album coin but not worth the cost of grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 11:52AM

nope, the grading would be about what the coin is worth. ~64 BR. Maybe it's the picture but the B in VDB looks distorted/damaged.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want it slabbed, for what ever reason, Id say put it in a holder. However, I would agree with the rest of the forum that it may be more cost effective to buy a slabbed example.

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Including shipping both ways it will cost you about $85 to have it graded. If that's OK with you, and for some reason you want this particular coin in a slab, go for it.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you submit the coin at the Economy service level, I suspect the cost might justify itself in the value added by a PCGS slab. However, I would wait until you had many more coins to submit along with it in order to lower the overhead costs (service fee + shipping charges) per coin.

If you are new to grading coins, submitting to PCGS can be a valuable education. An even better way is to attend a large show and view as many graded coins as you can. Ask questions of respected dealers while there. There are many who are happy to help if they have time.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, beautiful coin! Secondly, I can see your thought process because of the attractiveness in the coin but like many here has already suggested, I too would pass. Now, if it was from San Francisco, this thread would be a no-brainer! Thanks for posting. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your coin and I would put it at 66- BN.
    That's my way if saying it's a tweener -- I would have no problem putting it in a 66 holder but if graded on a bad day might go 65+ BN.
    It's nice.
    Why not see if you can "piggyback" it with a friend or dealer friend's next submission?

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that you should just buy one already in a holder. It is a nice coin though. Good pictures too.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others. It’s not worth sending in to be slabbed. But that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be enjoyed! I’d put that into a nice flip or something and enjoy the history.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a very nice coin and if it holds some sentimental value I would suggest an airtight or a capital plastic holder for it. I think it would grade at MS65BN, the PCGS guide shows a value of $90 but the real world sale number would most likely be lower. So from a value standpoint it is not really a good value to send in for grading, but if you want to test your grading skill or want it for a graded set then you may still get some value from having it graded and slabbed.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw it in a capital holder or a air tight 2×2 and call it a day!!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! ... but I will go along with the others not to have it graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file