Home Sports Talk
Options

Views on the weekend for Eagles and Patriots fans

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

This past weekend may have been the season highlight for Eagles and Patriots fans. Both teams won huge games which gave them opportunities for the post season. To finish things up, both teams need to win this weekend against opponents who are weaker, at least on paper.

The Miami Dolphins are the weakest team in the division. Their management has made it clear that this is a rebuilding year as they dumped a lot of veteran players. Still Miami has a history of bugging the Patriots. Last year’s “lateral, handoff and scamper” comeback win was the latest example.

The Miami quarterback, Fitzpatrick, is one of the two best worst quarterbacks in the league along with Jamis Winston. He can crank out a lot of points if the defensive coaches fail to find ways to bottle him up. Belichick should be able to do that, but Miami does have a pesky streak when it comes to Patriot games.

The Eagles have been so inconsistent that it’s hard to know which team is coming to the game. Last week they played all four quarters and upset the Cowboys in the biggest win of the year. In the first Giants game, they came out flatter than flounder and almost made Eli Manning reconsider retirement. These young Eagles, who include a lot of substitute players who have something to prove, should not be flat. If they play like they did against the Giants the way they did against the Cowboys, it should be no contest. Yet, it could be “buzz, Hummingbirds buzz” instead of “fly, Eagles fly” if they come out half asleep again. One thing for sure, we Eagle fans don’t need another “roller derby style,” come from behind, cardiac ending. Let’s hope they take care of business.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teams that have absolutely nothing to lose can be very dangerous. The Eagles and the Patriots have to keep their foot on the gas the entire time. No letting up, even for a second. I think the Patriots defense can turn Fitzmagic into Fitztrash. The Eagles need to summon that Rocky Balboa type attitude and make Philly proud. They need to knock Daniel Creed out early.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philadelphia Eagles (8-7)
    Clinched playoff spot? No

Division winner? No

No. 4 NFC seed: The Eagles showed up, beat the Cowboys and now have a chance to clinch the NFC East. All they need is to beat the Giants in New York on Sunday. If they lose and the Cowboys beat the Redskins, Philly is out. If they lose and the Cowboys lose, Philly is in as an 8-8 division winner.

The Eagles did lose to the Giants in O/T in week 14. AND, the Cowboys beat the Redskins 31-21 in week 2. Eagles can't complete against upper tier teams. An 8-8 team won't get it done, and it's an away game for them. Cracked ribs don't heal that easily, and you can bet your Christmas tree they'll be targeting Ertz's ribs.

The Patriots will have little problem with the fish. After that, we'll just see, I don't count Brady out of anything.

• Options

The Eagles beat the Giants in overtime in week 14.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It won’t suprise me if the Pats lose to the Dolphins this week. I don’t trust this team at all, I love them but don’t trust them.

• Options

@BillJones said:

You are correct, I mis-read the stats I was looking at. I still don't think they measure up going forward. I expect the Giants to win Sunday.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    It won’t suprise me if the Pats lose to the Dolphins this week. I don’t trust this team at all, I love them but don’t trust them.

Paul !!! Have you had too much salt water taffy?? Oh ye of little faith, I was shocked to see your vote in the pole, but to actually think the Pats could lose to the fish is almost a sacrilege. What's not to trust? I'll take Michel, Edelman, Brady and the rest to CRUSH the fish. Could be wrong, but, I'd put a chunk on the game, favor the Pats.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I would be more nervous about the game if it weren’t in Foxboro, Miami has given us problems over the years on the road. Hope all can stay healthy and enjoy a 2 week rest.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@BillJones said:

You are correct, I mis-read the stats I was looking at. I still don't think they measure up going forward. I expect the Giants to win Sunday.

And what makes you think the Giants will beat the Eagles? .... The Redskins game? Sorry, but that’s like the cavalry beating up on women and children. The ‘skins are pretty bad.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@perkdog said:

I would be more nervous about the game if it weren’t in Foxboro, Miami has given us problems over the years on the road. Hope all can stay healthy and enjoy a 2 week rest.

Yes, the Miami game in Miami had been a challenge for years for the Patriots. It ‘s different in Foxboro.

Do any of you old timers remember the game where the Patriots drove out the little snow plow to scrape a clear spot for the kicker to boot a winning score? It drove old man Shula nuts. B)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, the Miami game in Miami had been a challenge for years for the Patriots. It ‘s different in Foxboro.

Do any of you old timers remember the game where the Patriots drove out the little snow plow to scrape a clear spot for the kicker to boot a winning score? It drove old man Shula nuts. B)

I remember that day like it was yesterday! What year was that?

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Paul !!! Have you had too much salt water taffy?? Oh ye of little faith, I was shocked to see your vote in the pole, but to actually think the Pats could lose to the fish is almost a sacrilege. What's not to trust? I'll take Michel, Edelman, Brady and the rest to CRUSH the fish. Could be wrong, but, I'd put a chunk on the game, favor the Pats.

Merry Christmas Al, hope all is well my friend! As far as the Pats I love them regardless if they win or lose, I’m just keeping my expectations low since I just don’t trust their ability this season, good or bad I’m rooting for them and obviously want them to win I’m just not “Expecting” them to win or make it easy. We will see 🍻

• Options

At least you have a coach that watches the game! :(

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@perkdog said:

Ask and you shall receive...I remember it well.

https://www.patriots.com/video/memorable-moments-the-snow-plow-game

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@BillJones said:

And what makes you think the Giants will beat the Eagles?

It's an away game for the Eagles. I think the Giants are healthier and with Ertz having cracked ribs, one shot there and he'll be out of the game. Not only do I think the Giants will win, I think they'll cover the 4.5 spread. What makes you think they won't?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@BillJones said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@perkdog said:

December 12, 1982

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@BillJones said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@BillJones said:

And what makes you think the Giants will beat the Eagles?

It's an away game for the Eagles. I think the Giants are healthier and with Ertz having cracked ribs, one shot there and he'll be out of the game. Not only do I think the Giants will win, I think they'll cover the 4.5 spread. What makes you think they won't?

The Giants are not a good team, and the Eagles have real motivation. The Giants are only 4 and 11, and they are 2 and 5 at home. They have won two in a row, but the wins were against Miami and Washington.

• Options

Daniel Jones had a career game against the joke Washington Redskins but this game just smells of a Giants win, the Eagles are high as a kite after beating Dallas and have everything to lose and the Giants are just the team to play over their heads and snipe a W from Philly. I hate the Giants but hope they knock off Philly

• Options

A Giant win over the Hummingbirds would be my best Christmas gift ever!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

perkdog, your Brady photo reminds me of one of my favorites, in that it shows a picture of an athlete
    and a good picture of the stadium.
    Some say this Alex Gordon home run won the world series for the Royals in 2015. Even though it was
    game 1, this shot tied the score in the bottom of the ninth, and the Royals went on to win the game
    and the series. All year long the Royals had a never say die attitude and this epic blast by Gordon against
    the Mets unhittable closer let the Mets know they weren't playing any ordinary team.

Also I wanted to post this because I'm about to watch a one hour show on MLB or ESPN about the
    Royals 2015 season. :)
    There are more photos at a different angle showing the Royals dugout going crazy as Gordon rounds
    first base that are incredible also.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Sorry, your Dallas Cowpatties had their chance last Sunday.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep going with the picks against the Eagles because we all know what that means. :D

• Options

• Options
    edited December 26, 2019 5:23AM

@DIMEMAN said:

Keep in mind that that could be the one path that allow “your favorite Dallas coach” to keep his job. A win over the Redskins would put them in the playoffs. If the Cowboys happened win a playoff game, he might get to keep his job.

You need to bite the bullet and write this season off if you really want to get rid of Garrett. Jones has liked the guy in the past, and only a train wreck season, like this has been so far, is going to put him on the unemployment line.

I don’t understand why you hate Eagles so much. There used to be a huge rivalry between the Cowboys and Redskins, and the Giants really are not great favorites in Dallas.

Perhaps you best Christmas present would an Eagles loss and a Redskin win over Dallas. That would insure the departure of Garrett.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

If the Pats lose this weekend I’ll be more disappointed about last weeks loss. Buffalo is a good football team but 2 years away from being elite. With plenty of cap space, 9 draft choices and a young team going in the right direction Bills fans finally have high hopes for their future.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    perkdog, your Brady photo reminds me of one of my favorites, in that it shows a picture of an athlete
    and a good picture of the stadium.
    Some say this Alex Gordon home run won the world series for the Royals in 2015. Even though it was
    game 1, this shot tied the score in the bottom of the ninth, and the Royals went on to win the game
    and the series. All year long the Royals had a never say die attitude and this epic blast by Gordon against
    the Mets unhittable closer let the Mets know they weren't playing any ordinary team.

Also I wanted to post this because I'm about to watch a one hour show on MLB or ESPN about the
    Royals 2015 season. :)
    There are more photos at a different angle showing the Royals dugout going crazy as Gordon rounds
    first base that are incredible also.

That’s a great pic Darin, the Brady one is going to get uploaded to a large print at some point and Framed for my Man Town. It’s an Epic photo

• Options

I hate the Giants but hope they knock off Philly

As a Patriots fan, how can you say that? As an Eagles' fan the Giants, I have disliked the Giants since I was in Junior high school. After they ruined the Patriots perfect season with their end of year sprint, I hate them. Eli Manning can't retire soon enough for me.

Yes, the Eagle's beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but wasn't like they ruined a perfect season for Pats. To be honest Belichick was out coached for one of the few times.

After this season, it would probably be the same old Eagles who celebrate .500 seasons. Most of them will be less, because it will take the fans and the management to get Coach Peterson and the overrate Carson Wentz out of their system.

Dallas will finally dump Garrett and perhaps find a better coach. The Cowboys certainly have the players to do better.

• Options

@BillJones said:

I hate the Giants but hope they knock off Philly

As a Patriots fan, how can you say that? As an Eagles' fan the Giants, I have disliked the Giants since I was in Junior high school. After they ruined the Patriots perfect season with their end of year sprint, I hate them. Eli Manning can't retire soon enough for me.

Yes, the Eagle's beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but wasn't like they ruined a perfect season for Pats. To be honest Belichick was out coached for one of the few times.

After this season, it would probably be the same old Eagles who celebrate .500 seasons. Most of them will be less, because it will take the fans and the management to get Coach Peterson and the overrate Carson Wentz out of their system.

Dallas will finally dump Garrett and perhaps find a better coach. The Cowboys certainly have the players to do better.

I can say I want the Giants to win because it won’t mean a thing for their pathetic season and I want Philly to suffer an “Oh so close to the playoffs” and get frosted with a loss. Reason why? Because they beat us in the Super Bowl. Yea I hold a grudge 🤨

• Options

@perkdog That is a classic photo. Brady is looking left, but not fooling me.....he is going to Edelman over the middle!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    @perkdog That is a classic photo. Brady is looking left, but not fooling me.....he is going to Edelman over the middle!

Like it Jon!!

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

Boy you felt this one potentially coming - Down 7 in the 3rd and favored by 16 😩

• Options

Fitzpatrick looks an a Hall of Fame quarterback today. The Patriots offense is asleep, except for a linebacker playing on the offense. Brady almost overthrew him when he was wide open.

In the mean time, the defense has resorted to arm tackles.

It looks like the Patriots don’t really want it this week. :s

• Options
    edited December 29, 2019 1:58PM

Patriots paper tiger defense. The Patriots did not come to play today. A dead team, poor effort on all sides.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lackluster performance. Pats need either a new coach or a new QB or both. :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

I will trade you Prescott/Garrett for Brady/BB in a freaking heartbeat!!

• Options

Stunning loss IMO. After having crushed the fish in game 2, 43-0, and with a bye in the offing, the Pats choke. I thought Brady looked terrible, and going forward I doubt they'll get much past the WC game. Brady is not the Terrific Tom of years gone by...he wasn't sharp, and over threw too many. Favored by 16 and lost...hard to absorb.

Credit the Fish and Fitzpatrick, that game was their super bowl, and they measured up against what appeared to be a walk in the park win.

Time for Tom to take a hard look at his checkbook. I would not be surprised to hear he retires at the end of whatever the end is this year. He ain't gettin' no younger.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

I will trade you Prescott/Garrett for Brady/BB in a freaking heartbeat!!

I’ll take Prescott, who might improve with some better coaching. As for Garrett, you can keep him.

Perhaps he’ll land the job in Cleveland. They have gotten accustomed to disappointing seasons, and Garrett will not surprise them.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles...LTB
    Wow was I pulled into the pat-(hetic) den (post)