Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help identifying the marking on a 1922 dollar coin please

Looks like a 3 to me.

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an "S" Mintmark - coin was minted in San Francisco

Not a 3.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold on, guys. Besides the S mintmark, there are perhaps some artifacts of something in the field above the rays. It might be just the toning patterns or not, but I see a faint L shape--or two--maybe a small epsilon shape, and just above that last, even what looks to be the bottom half of a 3, one sorta shaped like those on the 1803 Bust dollars.

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to ... the mintmark or the other stuff. @Ruttrow can you post a photo or two of the entire obverse, maybe one tilted at a slight angle?

It remains to be seen whether there is any more "there" there or not, but I think it bears another look @FredWeinberg @Flackthat.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2019 12:11PM

The Peace dollar has about the highest coin-to-mintmark ratio of anything out there. Some of them are tiny! :)

..... and welcome, @Ruttrow

• I see what you mean about it being an S. Thanks for the ID!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ruttrow...Welcome aboard....You have the answer from Fred above....One of our leading experts here on the forum. Cheers, RickO

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Hold on, guys. Besides the S mintmark, there are perhaps some artifacts of something in the field above the rays. It might be just the toning patterns or not, but I see a faint L shape--or two--maybe a small epsilon shape, and just above that last, even what looks to be the bottom half of a 3, one sorta shaped like those on the 1803 Bust dollars.

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to ... the mintmark or the other stuff. @Ruttrow can you post a photo or two of the entire obverse, maybe one tilted at a slight angle?

It remains to be seen whether there is any more "there" there or not, but I think it bears another look @FredWeinberg @Flackthat.

Kind regards,

George

George, you're right! I see three more "S" artifacts all over the image. I wish I knew how to circle them for everyone. There is a name for this. "P-something." I'm too lazy to look it up. :(

BTW, we have a tile bathroom at work and all sorts of images can be "seen" in the tile over the urinals. I prefer using the one with the two cherubs overlooking the bowl. :)

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards,

George

George, you're right! I see three more "S" artifacts all over the image. I wish I knew how to circle them for everyone. There is a name for this. "P-something." I'm too lazy to look it up. :(

BTW, we have a tile bathroom at work and all sorts of images can be "seen" in the tile over the urinals. I prefer using the one with the two cherubs overlooking the bowl. :)

I think you need to use the bowl at work! B)

Ken
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said: "I think you need to use the bowl at work!"

LOL, I do all the time when a post makes me vomit. o:)

I've named it 'Numismatic Pareidolia'

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I surrender! It's good to have a laugh at one's own expense ... plus I learned a new word! @FredWeinberg @Insider2 @bearcave @Ruttrow

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I've named it 'Numismatic Pareidolia'

It's quite extremely amazing the degree to which this infects so many so strongly.

Happy holidays, Mr. Weinberg! We are all very fortunate that you share your vast knowledge here.

(I just added 'Numismatic' to the existing word)

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, to have Fred Weinberg and Insider also, we are very fortunate! :)

Happy Holidays to everyboby!!

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file