Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Ultimate SS Central America Medal - Captain Herndon's Life Saving Medal

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2020 6:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

We hear a lot about the Ship of Gold but not much about her captain, Commander William Lewis Herndon, who went down with his ship. He ensured the rescue of 152 women and children, and chose to remain on board with his crew and several hundred other passengers who went down with the ship.

He served in the Mexican–American War and explored the Amazon Valley. Two ships were named USS Herndon after him as was the town of Herndon, Virginia. His daughter, Ellen, was also of note, marrying Chester Alan Arthur, who would later be elected the 21st President of the US.

Here's more information on Herndon:

This incredible medal was created for his widow in remembrance. It really brings home the sacrifices people made and how dangerous it was back then. The medal was created by F.B. Smith & Hartmann of New York, which is on the obverse under the waves.

This specimen's provenance includes T. Harrison Garrett, John Work Garrett, and Alan V. Weinberg.

Here is is photo:

Comments

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!! Thanks for posting!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pictures and the history.... Would that be the only one struck? Seems as if it would be a single piece...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole subject of Life Saving Medals is interesting. Apparently then, as now, many merchant ships would ignore other ships in distress (see the recent movie "STYX") rather than engage in a time and money consuming rescue. The issuers of such medals obviously wanted to encourage such gallant behavior. While this medal involves the Captain of a ship rather than a lifesaving effort on the part of another ship it falls into the same category of subject matter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Why does the medal reference both widow and mother?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Thanks. Why does the medal reference both widow and mother?

It acknowledges him as a Son of Virginia, his native state.

Very cool piece. Never heard of it, and I never knew his connection to President Arthur.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty special and a great provenance. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

It looks like they carved Herndon into the medal standing on the paddle wheel cover as well. It's pretty incredible to think about steam boats with paddle wheels out in the open seas.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SS Central America did not sink quickly. There was an extended but unsuccessful effort to keep it from sinking. Since the ship was near the end of its voyage it had used up a large amount of its coal. This meant the ship rode high in the water and made the paddle wheels much less effective at propelling the ship. This was one factor, of many, that contributed to its sinking.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Very nice. Just read Ship of Gold (highly highly recommended) and enjoyed getting to know Captain Herndon. Not all crew members acting honorably however. But anyone who wants a front row seat to both the sinking and the heroism should read Ship of Gold. It's simply the best documented account imaginable.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2020 6:00PM

It had sails too didn't it?

@Zoins said:
    It looks like they carved Herndon into the medal standing on the paddle wheel cover as well. It's pretty incredible to think about steam boats with paddle wheels out in the open seas.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed this thread.

Awesome!

Thanks @Zoins I do like reading the history.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think all the water on board made up for the used coal.........

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the history, thanks.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2020 2:35PM

@Lakesammman said:
    I think all the water on board made up for the used coal.........

Yes, and ultimately more than the coal because it sunk....

• Options
    edited January 10, 2020 11:42PM

This just sold for $50,400.00 at FUN. Very impressive result for a medal. This would definitely go into a fantasy Box of 20 medals for me.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a cool medal with a cool design, but I'm not sure the widow would have derived much comfort from the depicted scene. :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file