Home Sports Talk

Who is the worst Head Coach currently in the NFL???

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not based on his record, but based on how he manages to screw things up and by his capacity to be a tool during interviews.

Who is the worst Head Coach currently in the NFL???

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way.....Garrett by a mile!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freddie Kitchens.

This idiot continues to misuse the talent he has been given and seems aloof to the fact that he needs help. He can't seem to find a way to use plays on Offense to take advantage of what the opponent is doing. He has the leading rusher in the NFL but chooses not to use him, and when he does he can't seem to understand WHEN to use him. Freddie Kitchens can't resist the temptation to try a trick play, some sort of razzle-dazzle, even though every time he does it ends up bad.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freddie Kitchens.

I watched the Browns game today, and it got pretty ugly.

Freddie Kitchens.

3rd and 2 around their own 45, they try a pass that goes incomplete and then luck out and catch the Ravens off-side on 4th down. my question: If you have decided you'll go for it on 4th down(before the 3rd down play failed), why would you not run twice with the NFL's leading runner??

on another 3rd down play they do an inside hand-off/shovel-pass to Kareem Hunt and as he's being tackled for a 8-yard loss he has the ball up with one hand as though he's going to pass??

they were up 6-0 with about 3:20 left in the first half and the Ravens had no time-outs left, 3rd and 1 when they did that bonehead play above...........................again, why not let Nick Chubb run?? why does Freddie Kitchens insist on trying to out think the other HC and fool him, all he does is hurt his own Team. following that blunder they gave the Ravens the ball back with 1:51 left and allowed them to score 14 points!!! after a brief rest the Ravens got the ball to start the 2nd half and promptly scored.

I can't even watch this clowns post-game interviews anymore, they make me want to puke.

edited December 22, 2019 4:18PM
    Freddie Kitchens.

It was 24-15 in the 4th quarter and he went for two. They failed on the two point conversion which made it a two possesion game. If he had just kicked the extra point, it would have been 24-16, a one possesion game. I didn't understand that.

Freddie Kitchens.

you didn't understand it because he defies logic, I'm convinced he doesn't really know what he's doing. he's in over his head and the result is Team unrest and confusion. I see one of two results after the seasons end:
    --- he is kept on as HC but the Team hires an effective OC who will call all the plays. to hell with any input from Baker Mayfield on that, he just needs to suck it up and fall in step with whoever the new guy is.
    --- he is shown the door next Sunday, post game with no interview, and the search begins for a new HC and OC who will be in charge of calling the plays.

I really think the climax of this unprepared man for the job will happen next Sunday in Cincinnatti as he helps his Team lose to the 1-14 Bengals. he is clearly over-matched and ill-prepared for the job he holds. it sucks to hear that about ourselves, I have had to hear it in my lifetime. Freddie Kitchens needs to hear and accept the truth and leave the Fraternity.

Freddie Kitchens.

I will add that this is the trouble with the Browns that frustrates the fan-base. there's an old saying --- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. they found the fix last season and it worked well, so they fixed it.

this season is the result. :s

@keets said:
    3rd and 2 around their own 45, they try a pass that goes incomplete and then luck out and catch the Ravens off-side on 4th down. my question: If you have decided you'll go for it on 4th down(before the 3rd down play failed), why would you not run twice with the NFL's leading runner??

on another 3rd down play they do an inside hand-off/shovel-pass to Kareem Hunt and as he's being tackled for a 8-yard loss he has the ball up with one hand as though he's going to pass??

they were up 6-0 with about 3:20 left in the first half and the Ravens had no time-outs left, 3rd and 1 when they did that bonehead play above...........................again, why not let Nick Chubb run?? why does Freddie Kitchens insist on trying to out think the other HC and fool him, all he does is hurt his own Team. following that blunder they gave the Ravens the ball back with 1:51 left and allowed them to score 14 points!!! after a brief rest the Ravens got the ball to start the 2nd half and promptly scored.

I can't even watch this clowns post-game interviews anymore, they make me want to puke.

Your biggest problem is #13. What a POC he is!! #80 on the other hand is a great receiver!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freddie Kitchens.

this was the simplest clearest poll I have ever seen and yet dimeman still screwed up his answer

Freddie Kitchens.

@keets said:
    This idiot continues to misuse the talent he has been given and seems aloof to the fact that he needs help. He can't seem to find a way to use plays on Offense to take advantage of what the opponent is doing. He has the leading rusher in the NFL but chooses not to use him, and when he does he can't seem to understand WHEN to use him. Freddie Kitchens can't resist the temptation to try a trick play, some sort of razzle-dazzle, even though every time he does it ends up bad.

I thought that before being promoted he was their running back whisperer ?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps Jason Garrett will be available next year. Or better yet Urban Meyer.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Freddie Kitchens.

I don't know who is available, but aside from some minor personnel choices the HC and OC choices need to be carefully and intensely considered. this franchise has a very bad track record in that regard and now that they finally have some skilled players together it is even more vital that they not screw the pooch on a coaching move.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I don't know who is available, but aside from some minor personnel choices the HC and OC choices need to be carefully and intensely considered. this franchise has a very bad track record in that regard and now that they finally have some skilled players together it is even more vital that they not screw the pooch on a coaching move.

Vikings were in a similar spot a few years ago. We have had guys like Les Steckle, Brad Childress, Mike Tice and Leslie Frazier.

None could really get it done at the top spot. Steckle was particularly bad, Childress thought he could control Brett Favre (idiot), Tice and Frazier were good coaches but maybe too well liked by the players?

We finally found Mike Zimmer. He's a good/great coach who, has ownership trying very hard to win.

Looks like Dallas should have promoted Zimmer instead of hiring Wade Phillips!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Idiot who is the Bears Coach is worthy of a mention

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns need a disciplinarian...... a Bill Cowher or another austere figure..... Jason Garrett would get run over by the prisoners in the rec. yard...IMO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    No way.....Garrett by a mile!

After last week’s performance against the Eagles, Dimeman is on to something. Garrett is getting less out of more than any other coach in the league. How can you have the top offense in the league, and not score a touchdown in a critical game?

If Baltimore were to decide to take him on for the post season, they might be out in the first round, even when they have a bye. How is that possible? Garrett could pull a Rip Van Winkle during the bye week and send his team to the wrong city for the playoff game. Like Dimeman said last week, Garrett looked like he perked up when someone shouted into his headphones. He has that glassy eyed stare, like a deer in the headlights.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy in Detroit isn't doing so good.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2019 9:15AM

@Coinstartled said:

Yea, after the Tampa Bucks beat the Lions, there was a guy in the stands with bag over his head. He had printed “same old Lions” on it.

Later I went to a men’s custom suit store. One of the options is a liner with your favorite team’s logo. I guess that guy won’t be ordering that option.

At least the Lion’s coach has an excuse. He lost his star quarterback early in the season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

Yea, after the Tampa Bucks beat the Lions, there was a guy in the stands with bag over his head. He had printed “same old Lions” on it.

Later I went to a men’s custom suit store. One of the options is a liner with your favorite team’s logo. I guess that guy won’t be ordering that option.

At least the Lion’s coach has an excuse. He lost his star quarterback early in the season.

In the 1980's we hoped that the games didn't sell out so we could watch someone else take the tv slot.

Not so much in the 90's when barry joined the team. They still were not very good but it was fun to watch the GOAT.

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

In the 1980's we hoped that the games didn't sell out so we could watch someone else take the tv slot.

Not so much in the 90's when barry joined the team. They still were not very good but it was fun to watch the GOAT.

You must have been watching Dallas play then! The GOAT is clearly Emmitt Smith!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

In fairness, at the running back position, there were about 8 GOATS. Some maybe for a couple years and a few that lasted over a decade.

I liked Earl Campbell and Chuck Muncie and Emmitt was great. herschel was fun to watch as of course was Sweetness.

You can put Sander's at any position from one to ten and that is ok, but never in the history of the league has a more talented and gifted athlete played the game.

@Coinstartled said:

Wait......what decade are you referring to?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Mike McCarthy

Freddie Kitchens.

I've always wanted to see Arnold Schwarzenegger coach in the NFL. He can stand there on the sideline with a cigar in his mouth and yell his famous movie lines-

"Get down"

"Come with me if you want to live"

"Asta la vista Saints"

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    Freddie Kitchens.

@doubledragon said:
    I've always wanted to see Arnold Schwarzenegger coach in the NFL. He can stand there on the sideline with a cigar in his mouth and yell his famous movie lines-

"Get down"

"Asta la vista Saints"

he'd have it maid!

@doubledragon said:

"Get down"

"Asta la vista Saints"

After a tough loss;

I'LL BE BACK!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

Sanders would have run for 3,000 yards a season behind that offensive line in Dallas.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Give me Smith, Campbell, Brown & Walter plus a few others over Sanders anytime.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

Sanders would have run for 3,000 yards a season behind that offensive line in Dallas.

edited January 8, 2020 4:40PM

Those backs were all terrific in their own right but Sanders was the best I've ever seen. He is the GOAT. The things he did on the field on a consistent basis year after year will likely never be replicated. Had he played on better teams with a better line, his stats would be even more incredible than they already are.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Those backs were all terrific in their own right but Sanders was the best I've ever seen. He is the GOAT. The things he did on the field on a consistent basis year after year will likely never be replicated. Had he played on better teams with a better line, his stats would be even more incredible than they already are.

We will have to agree to disagree. I put Sanders somewhere in the lower half of the Top 10. Smith is the GOAT.

If you put Sanders in the lower half of the top 10, you clearly have no clue.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2020 6:13PM
    Freddie Kitchens.

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

I put Sanders somewhere in the lower half of the Top 10.

dime,

you know he’s referring to barry. not deion, right? 😉

just wanna make sure...

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    If you put Sanders in the lower half of the top 10, you clearly have no clue.

It's hard to compare backs from one era to another, and good teams to bad teams, but Sanders was clearly the best of his era and a legitimate GOAT candidate. Smith was neither, and while he was very good, I wouldn't put him in my top 10. Smith gets credit for playing as long as he did, but then he got hit hard in 15 years less than Campbell (my GOAT) did in 5 years. That Dallas O-line in the 90's was just ridiculously good, and made a great RB look like a GOAT and a mediocre QB look like a HOFer.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    Freddie Kitchens.

sony michelle could rush for 2000 behind that dallas line

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

sony michelle

dude did you do this on purpose or are you dimeman's bastard child

either way i find it funny and that may be the most disturbing thing of all

Freddie Kitchens.

he runs like a girl

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

sony michelle

dude did you do this on purpose or are you dimeman's bastard child

either way i find it funny and that may be the most disturbing thing of all

POTM

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since half of us recognize the other half around here I'll tell you a little story about Chuck Muncie, RIP. I'm not going to rip him but remember that this was Berkeley in the mid 70's.
    Muncie came to CAL when I was a junior. Smart guy & very well liked but a Ef-up. I played freshman ball in 71 but got hurt & ended up in the hospital. All the guys playing hung together & even some of the guys who played freshman ball. We all lived within 5-6 blocks of each other with 27 frats & 13 soroities & dorms etc. Pretty tight group of several thousand students. Always fri/sat open houses with a lot of beer. We had no phones or computers so all we did was go to class, study & party.
    Muncie when he first came from AZ where he was 'grey shirted' enrolled in a JC about 20 miles from Berkeley. He needed to get his grades up. Artie Gigantino who when on to $C used to bring him from the JC to CAL every day for practice. Muncie would always roll a blunt & smoke it before practice but had no way to get home. Many a night he would crash on our upstairs floor completely oblitered & we would toss a blanket over him & put a pillow under his head.( to be cont)

Have a nice day

Gigantino would try to find Muncie after practice but frequently couldn't & so Artie went home. Muncie had no way to get back home but of course was welcome everywhere at school so he would just rotate crash pads. If our room with a couch downstairs was open, then that's where he crashed. Otherwise, the carpet on our third story hallway which was much quieter than the two lower floors.
    Muncie crushed both legs in a tractor accident in PA as a child & they said he'd never walk. Well, he ran a 9.4 so I guess he proved the doctors wrong. When he ran in college it was a sight to behold. He was unknown & had no scouting tape. We listed him at 5'11" & 199. That worked for about the first half of the season, lol. He was 6'4" & 240 & ran like the wind. No one could catch him. There's a couple of youtube highlights of him with N.O. where Gifford & Meredith are basically speechless. Watch them if you have a few moments. At least as entertaining as Beastmode.
    RIP Chuck Muncie.
    Go Bears

Have a nice day

Did Fat Albert's let Chuck eat for free?

Hammer, I left Berkeley in 77 & I don't recognize that name. Muncie would have left before me but I think he 'owned' the town. If he ever paid for anything I would be surprised. & the team had 'training table' so there was as much food available as you could eat anytime you showed up for meals.
    Remember, gas was 29cents when I was a freshman & pizza was all you could eat on Tuesdays for 99cents. Beer or better yet, Country Club, was $1.49/6pk talls.
    Our hangouts were Larry Blake's Rathskellar, Sunshines Inn, Top Dog & Spengers if the parents or relatives were in town. Pierce Street Annex or the Buena Vista in the city. Plus one of my fraternity bros had a key to the underground kitchen in one of the high rise quads. We used to sneak in about midnight to 2am & eat ice cream. They eventually changed the locks. We were real reprobates.
    No Fat Alberts comes to mind.

Have a nice day

My bad. It's not Fat Albert's, it's Fatapple's Restaurant. I remember it was the first cheeseburger I had with grated cheese.
    https://www.fatapplesrestaurant.com/about_us

What were you doing up in Berkeley? Did you go to CAL?

Have a nice day
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

My thoughts exactly. I praise Smith for his toughness but Barry was on a different level, his moves legitimately were second to none.

Freddie Kitchens.

Freddie Kitchens.... more like Freddie Bathrooms.

edited January 10, 2020 9:55AM

@streeter said:
    What were you doing up in Berkeley? Did you go to CAL?

My sister went there. She Ended up living there into the 70's. I visited her in the 60's ad 70's.

We went to a small, one owner coffee shop there in the 60's. Real good coffee only folks from Berkeley knew about.

Peet's Coffee... there's 236 of them now.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were an assistant with a successful program it's like why would you want to even be a head coach of some of these teams.