Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OPC baseball wax boxes... good investment?

Are 80s/early 90s OPC boxes worth holding onto? 1991 OPC regular (NOT Premier) has Chipper rookie. 1990 has Thomas. 1987 has Bonds, 1984 has Mattingly and 1983 has Gwynn and Sandberg.

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2019 4:43PM

I've amassed quite a few 1984 OPCs. If 1983 had the Boggs, I'd be crazy hoarding that one. That's me, of course, not the general opinion, I'm sure.

Andy

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Reed has posted a few times about how difficult it is to find 1988 to 1991 OPC.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1966CUDA said:
    Are 80s/early 90s OPC boxes worth holding onto? 1991 OPC regular (NOT Premier) has Chipper rookie. 1990 has Thomas. 1987 has Bonds, 1984 has Mattingly and 1983 has Gwynn and Sandberg.

You already have them? If so, I would keep them sooner or later they should be worth something.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a huge fan. The early 80s OPC boxes have moved up with the rest of 80s unopened. And I still think they have room to run. Especially since they are so condition challenged. Most of my boxes are 83-88. Would love to one day get a case of 83s!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '87s exploded when the Bonds card in PSA 10 surged past $2k. I still have BBCE invoices of me buying 10+ boxes of '87 for $7-$9/ea, over and over again. Those were the good old days.

Arthur

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    That’s awesome Arthur. IIRC you ripped them too and never did get the 10 Bonds. Speaks to the difficulty in finding high end examples. I have never ripped the OPC that I have accumulated. Still no 1980 OPC box to complete the run. Can’t see myself dropping. A few grand for that one.

John

wow

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

If my closet looked like that, my wife would kill me!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to an article in which Reed comments on 1988 through 1991 OPC baseball:
    gogts.net/hobby-musings-is-junk-wax-making-a-comeback-in-the-hobby/

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:
    If my closet looked like that, my wife would kill me!

I second that!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    That’s awesome Arthur. IIRC you ripped them too and never did get the 10 Bonds. Speaks to the difficulty in finding high end examples. I have never ripped the OPC that I have accumulated. Still no 1980 OPC box to complete the run. Can’t see myself dropping. A few grand for that one.

John

That is one amazing looking closet John! Great looking stash of OPC and dress shirts. I still see some more room to the right for a few 1980 OPC to fit. Keep up the good work.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

That's great stuff!. I will try and post a pic of my OPC tonite...

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

No vintage boxes?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 83 Gwynn OPC is hotter than a firecracker....its his best RC in my self absorbed opinion.

• Options

Thanks for the compliments guys. And Lol, wife is not pleased with my closet capacity allocation decision making. Our shared home office is far worse, so the closet debate has tempered. And the general attic floor space is now running short. You got to fit this stuff where you can and I’m running short of creative ideas, like the drawers in my bedside end table filled with packs.

The good news is that all of the “clutter” wore her down and she has agreed to provide for a card room in our upcoming home extension project. Def need inspiration for the layout of that room so if anyone has a thread to share please do.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    No vintage boxes?

Sadly I only go back to 78. Like my handle says, I was always focused on the 80s. Wish I followed in the steps of the rest of you guys and bought more 70s.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:

@olb31 said:
    No vintage boxes?

Sadly I only go back to 78. Like my handle says, I was always focused on the 80s. Wish I followed in the steps of the rest of you guys and bought more 70s.

It was kind of a joke. Your collection looks great. Smart.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

Here is my collection so far. A while back ended up cracking two 1987 boxes (still have two). Also sold a 1978 box that I should have held on to. In first pic are 2 boxes of 1986 Leaf Canadian also.

• Options

Sweet stacks of OPC wax right there!

I never bought into 91. Looks like you probably scooped the available supply.

Do you rip any of this stuff?

John

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ripped 20 or so boxes of 91 and didn’t get a Chipper better then a 9. Ripped around 2 cases of 85 and not one gem Puckett.m

Also busted a bunch of 86 and 87. Bonds is impossible, I don’t believe they come centered and believe anything you see thats 50/50 likely comes from a sheet.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am always amazed at unopened collectors self control. My entire unopened collection consists of one unopened box of 90 donruss. I just can't keep anything unopened. And I keep thinking to myself, "i wonder if that donruss box is an error box..."

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me as well Craig. There was a 1984-85 OPC hockey wax case on BBCE that was a decent buy. Thought it would be a good one to put away. But the urge to rip would be to strong, would have that bad boy opened in 4 weeks max

• Options

I have rripped some 1987..got one Bonds PSA 9 and two PSA 8s. Ripped some 83s years ago and Sandberg and Gwynn all had centering issues. Ripped a couple 90 boxes and got 3 PSA 9 Thomas rookies.

• Options

Guess as of now, OPC is a good investment!?

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

I’ve owned almost all 1970s-1980s OPC baseball wax boxes because, as a kid, I was mesmerized by the cards and their more interesting (usually brighter) card backs, and how the cards ended up in California was such a mystery (pre-internet, Canada seemed a world away, at least to me). To this day, I still don’t know how the cards migrated to San Diego. For anyone like me, enamored by scarcity (and/or mystery), OPC is the way to go. On the demand side, however, definitely not so much. Me, personally, I enjoy scarcity more than demand. As much as I love 1983 Topps and Tony Gwynn, those boxes feel almost as common as when I was a kid. If you prefer scarcity - OPC. Easy. If you prefer investment potential, I begrudgingly give it to Topps.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Your collections look great but why is there no 1985 OPC unopened boxes or talk? Too common or too scarce? Puckett and Gooden rookies in there!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2021 7:57PM

Wish I had a few boxes of 1985, just never got any and don't know why. Wish I had a few Puckett rookies now! Also wish I had saved a few more boxes..probably opened three 1983 and 1987 boxes but did get a PSA 9 Bonds and a few psa 8's