Home U.S. Coin Forum

Spent my first $25 on a box of rolled pennies andd..

Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2019 3:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Apparently I got really lucky. My best friend said he’s never found the flying bird cent in circulation 😎
But... am curious. These 4x cent coins. Did I realistically even break even or are these worth only face value? (The coin on bottom left is 1944-s)

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds. I just found a 58 flying eagle from a coin star machine.

• Maserati27Maserati27 Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2019 3:18PM

@Jimnight said:
    Nice finds. I just found a 58 flying eagle from a coin star machine.

Hell ya. Lol one time before I started collecting years ago I was going through my granpas stuff he left behind and there was 30+ wheat penny rolls lol uncirculated. Bs.. that’ll never happen again either to me

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a Flying Eagle cent is highly, highly unusual ... even one in that condition. I have never found one in circulation or roll/bag searching. The two wheat cents are worth 2-3 cents each. The Canadian cent is effectively worthless as it is an extremely common date. Canada stop using cents several years ago and they have no value in the US.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    Finding a Flying Eagle cent is highly, highly unusual ... even one in that condition. I have never found one in circulation or roll/bag searching. The two wheat cents are worth 2-3 cents each. The Canadian cent is effectively worthless as it is an extremely common date. Canada stop using cents several years ago and they have no value in the US.

Well that goes without saying. The flying eagle is the first valuable coin I’ve found. And my friend and my uncle were surprised when they found out too. I’ll never trade or sell it probably if that’s tough to find tbh

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty surprising !
    I never even got an Indian in circulation.......

@thebeav said:
    That's pretty surprising !
    I never even got an Indian in circulation.......

The town I live in southwest Virginia it’s got rich civil war history and is the birthplace of stonewall Jackson but. I’ve heard of people searching abandoned houses here and finding random rare coins, metal detecting and well not many people ik coin collect expect me and my best friend. He’s found a roll of 1943 S BU war nickel, 1943 P BU war nickel, an indian head penny in rolled change and once a 3 cent nickel piece in the cash register at this desolate gas station that’s been here forever lol. And he’s only been collecting a year and me so far since September of this year

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found two 1858 FE cents back about 5 years ago from roll searches, one was from a CWR, the other from a BWR. In low grade not worth a lot, but how often do you find a 150+ year old coin in circulation?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2019 6:59PM

I have roll hunted for years and never found a Flying Eagle Cent. Wow! Congratulations.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Not from this town but it seems like the people that were born here and their generations kept coins, stamps etc in this town and every wheat penny I’ve found I needed for my 1909-1958 album

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking through rolls for 50 years and never found a flying eagle.....and now 2 found this week from board members.
    @Maserati27
    Great find..... beginner's luck maybe?
    I doubt you'll find another.
    So enjoy this one! B)

@SaorAlba said:
    I found two 1858 FE cents back about 5 years ago from roll searches, one was from a CWR, the other from a BWR. In low grade not worth a lot, but how often do you find a 150+ year old coin in circulation?

In my case.....never.

edited December 16, 2019 7:25PM

@SaorAlba said:

Well I think the flying eagle is the only actual old coin I’ve found but this guy that runs an antique mall here found a makeshift time capsule buried in the ground near Jordan’s point park and found an old letter some guy wrote to his wife’s unborn child and a 1794-S flowing hair large cent in side it lmao.. Apparently there’s a crap ton super rare coins hidden in the town or so at least people say

@Maserati27 said:

@SaorAlba said:

Well I think the flying eagle is the only actual old coin I’ve found but this guy that runs an antique mall here found a makeshift time capsule buried in the ground near Jordan’s point park and found an old letter some guy wrote to his wife’s unborn child and a 1794-S flowing hair large cent in side it lmao.. Apparently there’s a crap ton super rare coins hidden in the town or so at least people say

Please don't tell the Lagina brothers.

@mannie gray said:
    I've been looking through rolls for 50 years and never found a flying eagle.....and now 2 found this week from board members.
    @Maserati27
    So enjoy this one! B)

On my 2nd box of $25 worth of pennies and well lol I pissed off my buddy with what I just found. Going to post total coin results soon

@Maserati27 said:

@mannie gray said:
    @Maserati27
    So enjoy this one! B)

On my 2nd box of $25 worth of pennies and well lol I pissed off my buddy with what I just found. Going to post total coin results soon

Well, good luck.
    The only thing I usually find is that my fingers are dirty.😆

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... finding Flying Eagle cents while roll searching... Amazing... I have never found one..in change, roll searching, metal detecting or yard sales....I hope your good luck continues... Cheers, RickO

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get Canadian cents in change from time to time but I never found a flying eagle cent. Heck those are hard enough to find at coin shows.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also amazing that it is your first box.
    Well, it'll all be downhill after this!

Good luck .

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• I AM SO JEALOUS RIGHT NOW!!! I have never even found a coin from before 1910 roll searching, not to mention a flying eagle cent! That is just absolutely amazing. Congrats and good luck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file