Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rainbow Mercury Proof Score from Local Coin Shop

lsicalsica Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭

Shout out to A-R Coins on Harlem Ave in Burbank, IL.
NGC PF-67. IMHO a better coin than even in the fake pic for the PF-66 from Ampex. At an even better price. Best I could do with the pic.

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope it is just your picture, but.........................

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t refer to the picture of the other one as a “fake pic”, as it was a real pic. And I’m not seeing rainbow colors. However, the fact that you’re happy with your new purchase is a happy ending to your quest.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lsicalsica Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I wouldn’t refer to the picture of the other one as a “fake pic”, as it was a real pic. And I’m not seeing rainbow colors. However, the fact that you’re happy with your new purchase is a happy ending to your quest.😉

Ok, true, it was a real pic, just misleading IMHO. And I guess this pic not technically Rainbow but I see red pinks golds greens and purples and that works for me.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

That toning looks like something one might expect to see in an old PCI or small ANACS holder, those colors are very typical of what “white” coins eventually turned into over time.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lsica said:

@MFeld said:

Ok, true, it was a real pic, just misleading IMHO. And I guess this pic not technically Rainbow but I see red pinks golds greens and purples and that works for me.

I’ve seen quite a few with what I’d call scattered splashes of toning in shades of violet and/or red and/or green and/or gold. And it’s usually translucent and more attractive in hand. I’m guessing the same goes for yours.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2019 1:57PM

I love coins like this.

I just got some englehards that are rainbow gold or purple, but at first glance they're purple-black or spotty. Turn them in the light and they start to dance. This is a beautiful and brilliant effect and tbh I wish there were more (genuine) pieces like it in high grades. Got a purple Johnson Mathey with gold and red in it and ah gee wow man.

There's something beautiful about a piece so "ugly", dark and unassuming turning into a kaleidoscope when you turn it in your hand.

Silver oxidizing is so incredibly fascinating in and of itself, but the visible effect on US coins just puts me over the edge. Save the gaudy ones for the next guy.

Thanks for sharing OP

Short video to see color better

https://youtu.be/HmGlN7Jf6Ro

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I commented on the other thread.....and the picture in the OP confirms my feeling about the tarnish... just not for me...Cheers, RickO

• mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally won't pay a premium for toning. As a matter of fact I stay away from MS coins that aren't displaying a clean surface. That being said, so long as the coin works for you, it's a good purchase.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no doubt that coin is amazing in hand! Enjoy!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't call mine rainbow either but in hand looks much nicer and can see through the color to see really deep mirrors

Wow I put 4 images in. Oh well ?

I was looking for a Mercury PF67, with color would be better, and a 1942 would be even better. I found what I was looking for at a price that I liked. So a good deal for me 2👍

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. The toning doesn't look to interfere with the reflectivity.

Collector, occasional seller

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

How cool! Some nice Mercs in this thread! o:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 1:37PM

As long as you like it that's all that matters.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file