Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Coinjunkie Roosie Registry Set

For those who have not seen Jason's Roosie Registry Set, take a look. He's built a very nice colorful set. And, it's #9 in the Basic Category. Congrats Jason!!!

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-specialty-sets/roosevelt-dimes-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1946-1964/publishedset/206229

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

I like both the 54D and the 56D.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

WOW!!! What a beautiful set of colorful coins. Many STUNNERS. Congrats!!!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice set!

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    For those who have not seen Jason's Roosie Registry Set, take a look. He's built a very nice colorful set. And, it's #9 in the Basic Category. Congrats Jason!!!

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-specialty-sets/roosevelt-dimes-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1946-1964/publishedset/206229

With a set like this who cares what position you are in the registry. Great accomplishment Jason. Congratulations on building a beautiful Roosie dime set. I even see a couple of old friends of mine in there.
    So hard to pick a favorite, I love the 53S.

I Hear we will be seeing you at the Thursday night Roosie Dinner. I look forward to meeting you and shaking your hand and congratulating you in person.

Nick Cascio
    Onlyroosies

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set! I love the 46-S and 47-D (in addition to that 54-D).

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful set of Roosie's. I'm also looking forward to meeting you at the Roosie Supper at FUN.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    What a beautiful set of Roosie's. I'm also looking forward to meeting you at the Roosie Supper at FUN.

Sounds like we'll have quite the roosie gang at FUN. Woo Hoo...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

If you intend to attend the Roosie dinner on a Thursday evening, PM Onlyroosies. We are losing track of attendees. Thanks.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

I like the 1960

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set from beginning to end. Lots of nice toners in there.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I've just been unbanned! Thank you Heather and PCGS!!

Also thanks to all for the positive comments on my set. Looking forward to meeting everyone at FUN.

Cheers, Jason

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Hi Everyone,

Also thanks to all for the positive comments on my set. Looking forward to meeting everyone at FUN.

Cheers, Jason

Woo Hoo!!!!!

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Hi Everyone,

Cheers, Jason

Welcome back! It's going to be quite a gathering of Roosie collector's at FUN! Can't wait. Too bad Paul (Stooge) one of the main guys won't be there.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2019 4:59AM

@DIMEMAN said:
    Too bad Paul (Stooge) one of the main guys won't be there.

Sorry guys, certainly next year.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the electric blue in the bottom 51S! Great looking coins and congrats on the great submission!

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Love the electric blue in the bottom 51S! Great looking coins and congrats on the great submission!

Thanks for the positive comments! The 51-S is a coin that really has to be experienced in hand for full effect. The blue on the rims really dances as you tilt it back and forth, and it has tons of luster.

• Options

Beautiful coins CJ!!

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Hi Folks,

Well, apparently Santa grades for PCGS during the holiday season. I sent in a box of 20 Roosies for Regrade and TrueView on the Economy tier just before Thanksgiving. Eight out of 20 coins got a grade bump (six went 67 => 67+, one went 66+ => 67, one went 66+ => 67+FB). Another coin simply got an FB designation added. To say these results exceeded my expectations would be a gross understatement based on some other recent Regrade submissions (at Regular tier, no less).

Included in the box of 20 were 4 MS67 Roosies (47-D, 51-D, 51-S, 54) from my Registry set that I thought had a good shot at a plus. All but the 54 did receive the plus! I also sent in a duplicate 49-D I bought a while back in a PCGS MS67 holder. That coin also got the plus, and has replaced the old 49-D in my set.

The net result is that my current rank jumped from #9 to #6. Watch out, Hansen!! Objects in rear view may be closer than they appear... :)

Old 49-D (MS67)

New 49-D (MS67+)

I was never happy with the old TrueView of my 51-S, which is one of my favorite coins in the set. The new images really show off the rim toning much better, with the unfortunate side effect of highlighting the mark under FDR's jaw. I'll live with the trade-off.

Old TrueView of 51-S

New TrueView of 51-S

As always, thanks for looking!

I like the old 49-D myself.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Hi Folks,

Well, apparently Santa grades for PCGS during the holiday season. I sent in a box of 20 Roosies for Regrade and TrueView on the Economy tier just before Thanksgiving. Eight out of 20 coins got a grade bump (six went 67 => 67+, one went 66+ => 67, one went 66+ => 67+FB). Another coin simply got an FB designation added. To say these results exceeded my expectations would be a gross understatement based on some other recent Regrade submissions (at Regular tier, no less).

Included in the box of 20 were 4 MS67 Roosies (47-D, 51-D, 51-S, 54) from my Registry set that I thought had a good shot at a plus. All but the 54 did receive the plus! I also sent in a duplicate 49-D I bought a while back in a PCGS MS67 holder. That coin also got the plus, and has replaced the old 49-D in my set.

The net result is that my current rank jumped from #9 to #6. Watch out, Hansen!! Objects in rear view may be closer than they appear... :)

Old 49-D (MS67)

New 49-D (MS67+)

I was never happy with the old TrueView of my 51-S, which is one of my favorite coins in the set. The new images really show off the rim toning much better, with the unfortunate side effect of highlighting the mark under FDR's jaw. I'll live with the trade-off.

Old TrueView of 51-S

New TrueView of 51-S

As always, thanks for looking!

I like the old 49-D myself.

Thanks for the input, Jon. I'm about 80% of the way toward completion of a second full Roosie set, and the original 49-D will go into that one. My ultimate goal is to crack the all-time Top 5 with my #1 set, so I'm making a push for numerical upgrades now. The purpose of the second set will mainly be to make beautiful Roosies available for public viewing with rank being secondary.

• Options

Are you going to take your set ATS? Seems like some new sets are popping up.

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    Are you going to take your set ATS? Seems like some new sets are popping up.

Nah, I'm strictly a PCGS kinda guy.

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2020 9:11PM

You can be a PC guy and still list it ATS. Danny did it

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

I know, but I'm just not interested. For the time being, anyway.

• Options

@onlyroosies said:

It's a waste of time.

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a bidder on that and forgot to check back before the auction ended. Its a beauty.

• Options

@Rob41281 said:
    Was a bidder on that and forgot to check back before the auction ended. Its a beauty.

I feel your paid, happen many times to me...

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    I won this on GreatCollections last weekend. Just received it and am very pleased to add it to my set. Superb luster, especially on the obverse, much better than average for the date.

67+FB

Great score, pretty coin!!!

• Options

UPDATE: It's been a very active last couple of months for me on the Roosie front. The biggest news is I finally acquired enough duplicates to post another complete set. It's currently #17 in the Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (46-64) category. Not all of the coins have images at this time.

Also, in December, I acquired several very nice coins from Mark James, who had decided to sell off his Roosie set. Those coins were sent to PCGS for imaging and regrade. I did not expect any upgrades except for an FB designation on a 48p that had been in a 67 holder, which is exactly how it turned out. That coin is currently in my #2 set. The coins from Mark's set that represent upgrades to my #1 set are the 50d, 53, 57d, and 60d. All are in 67+ holders and replaced coins in 67 holders. I was expecting a top pop bonus on the 53, but because there's a single 68FB coin, PCGS does not award it. Seems wrong for a set where there's no bonus for FB, but the rules are the rules, I guess.

Here's the TrueView for the 53. The luster is fantastic for the date.

Lablover owns the only other non-FB 67+, and his is more of a true rainbow.

• Options

Pretty dimes!!!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!!!!

• Options

Shout out to Danny Biddle, who now has six (!!!) complete sets posted in the 46-64 non-FB category. All his sets are in the current top 25, as well. Nice job, Danny!

• Options
    edited February 8, 2020 7:07PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    Shout out to Danny Biddle, who now has six (!!!) complete sets posted in the 46-64 non-FB category. All his sets are in the current top 25, as well. Nice job, Danny!

I wish he'd stop...I keep falling back in to a dark hole :'( `...

• Options
    edited February 8, 2020 7:10PM

Oh Danny,

Hey, that 1947-S MS67 Blue I got from you at FUN...it's now a 67+. On my first regrade, dang, I hate it when that happens.

Sorry dude...

• Options
    DANNYDANNY Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

That coin was always one of my favorite toned Roosies.
    It originally was in a MS67 holder from ATS.
    Nick knew it would crossover, so he sent it to PCGS for me while he
    was searching through all of my dimes, and it did.
    I am happy that it upgraded for you.
    It is so easy to look at.
    Another satisfied Roosie collector.
    Life is good!!!! :):):)
    Regards,
    Danny

• Options

@CoinJunkie There 2 sets of sets for Roosies. The FB sets give a 2 point bonus for FB's.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    @CoinJunkie There 2 sets of sets for Roosies. The FB sets give a 2 point bonus for FB's.

Understood. I meant that if MS67+ is the highest grade awarded to a 1953 non-FB dime, then IMHO coins at that grade should be considered top pops in non-FB sets, and awarded a bonus. Whether there is a higher-graded FB coin for the date shouldn't be considered in that context.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Understood. I meant that if MS67+ is the highest grade awarded to a 1953 non-FB dime, then IMHO coins at that grade should be considered top pops in non-FB sets, and awarded a bonus. Whether there is a higher-graded FB coin for the date shouldn't be considered in that context.

That's a very good point!!!

• Options

@lablover said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Maybe this should be brought to PCGS's attention.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'll stop by the PCGS booth at the Long Beach show next week and mention it. Probably won't lead anywhere, but it never hurts to ask.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I'll stop by the PCGS booth at the Long Beach show next week and mention it. Probably won't lead anywhere, but it never hurts to ask.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. :)

• Options
    edited February 11, 2020 6:59AM