Home Sports Talk

What have you owned the most of in your lifetime.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 13, 2019 8:28PM in Sports Talk

Baseball gloves
Bowling balls
Tennis rackets
Fishing reels
Footballs
Basketballs
Ice skates
Sets of golf clubs
Bicylces

Most of us will have to guess. All I recall for sure is zero tennis equipment and 2 bowling balls. Three or four basketballs no footballs, maybe one pair of skates. Probably 7 or 8 rods and reels. and about 5 gloves. two sets or crummy golf clubs which were perfect for my game. ;)

Probably a dozen bicycles. About seven in the last 15 years.

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishing reels. Cheap ones.

I'm a lousy fishermen, so it must be the gear.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had em all except ice skates. I've played just about every team sport growing up. I remember my youth football and basketball teams won the city championships. My youth baseball team stunk. We weren't the bad news bears, we were the bad news bunyuns. I remember my baseball season ended when I bruised my ribs sliding into second. Bruised ribs hurt like crazy for weeks. It hurts when you move, it hurts when you breathe, it hurts when you eat. Have you ever tried eating spaghetti through a straw? It just can't be done.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2019 5:50AM

Sets of golf clubs.

But not proudly.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Bruised ribs hurt like crazy for weeks. It hurts when you move, it hurts when you breathe, it hurts when you eat. Have you ever tried eating spaghetti through a straw? It just can't be done.

Did the ribs thing myself playing volleyball a couple decades ago. Con't move more than a centimeter at a time and breathing is a luxury,

@artee said:
    Sets of golf clubs.

But not proudley.

Used my brothers old and undersized fiberglass clubs from K-mart, bought in the late 1960's. Ball would go a mile but you could not predict the direction. In nine holes I would lose half a dozen golf balls.

I retired the set.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@artee said:
    Sets of golf clubs.

But not proudly.

I retired the set.

I retired tons of sets. In the lake. In the woods.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a ton of bowling balls and tennis rackets.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins that have collected since I was 10 years old.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd guess it's either bicycles or footballs.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few shark teeth that my Uncle gave me around 1976, my grandfathers issued knife from his navy days which he gave me around 1980, my favorite are the Hefenrefer bottle caps with the puzzles on the inside from 1985-1986 when I used to sneak out of my house at night and go drinking with my buddies till all hours of the night and early morning, I always saved the caps. I used to drink 3 on Friday night and 3 on Saturday night, that was more than enough for a 155 pound 15 year old like myself back then 😂

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I have a few shark teeth that my Uncle gave me around 1976, my grandfathers issued knife from his navy days which he gave me around 1980, my favorite are the Hefenrefer bottle caps with the puzzles on the inside from 1985-1986 when I used to sneak out of my house at night and go drinking with my buddies till all hours of the night and early morning, I always saved the caps. I used to drink 3 on Friday night and 3 on Saturday night, that was more than enough for a 155 pound 15 year old like myself back then 😂

I haven't had a drink in almost ten years, but I remember the Haffenreffers. Or as we used to call them, "headwreckers". :D

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Tons of sports magazines from from way back in the day.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

from the list provided, fishing reels.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably baseball gloves and then golf club sets.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artee said:

@Coinstartled said:

@artee said:
    Sets of golf clubs.

But not proudly.

I retired the set.

Been there.....done that. I got mad and threw a 4 wood at a tree so hard that it broke in half. I never did that again after hearing that someone did the very same thing, but the shaft came back and went thru his neck killing him. :/

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Fishing reels. Cheap ones.

I'm a lousy fishermen, so it must be the gear.

Ditto here

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great friends, great family.

The rest is just acquired stuff along the way. I do admit to wishing I'd never sold my '69 and '73 corvettes

@DIMEMAN said:

@artee said:

@Coinstartled said:

@artee said:
    Sets of golf clubs.

But not proudly.

I retired the set.

Been there.....done that. I got mad and threw a 4 wood at a tree so hard that it broke in half. I never did that again after hearing that someone did the very same thing, but the shaft came back and went thru his neck killing him. :/

He never did it again either.

edited December 15, 2019 4:35PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

The rest is just acquired stuff along the way. I do admit to wishing I'd never sold my '69 and '73 corvettes

Sort of learned to drive in a new 73 Vette (red with a 350), belonged to my brother. First ticket as well.

:#

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishing reels BY FAR. Then ice skates and bicycles.

I live in Minnesota, lots of lakes and cold weather!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@doubledragon said:
    I've had em all except ice skates. I've played just about every team sport growing up. I remember my youth football and basketball teams won the city championships. My youth baseball team stunk. We weren't the bad news bears, we were the bad news bunyuns. I remember my baseball season ended when I bruised my ribs sliding into second. Bruised ribs hurt like crazy for weeks. It hurts when you move, it hurts when you breathe, it hurts when you eat. Have you ever tried eating spaghetti through a straw? It just can't be done.

No ice skates? Where did you grow up?

Also, you are supposed to slide on your butt, that heals up faster!

Broke my shoulder blade playing tackle football in the park (no pads of course) that was uncomfortable.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Sort of learned to drive in a new 73 Vette (red with a 350), belonged to my brother. First ticket as well.

:#

I had my corvette far from stock...I replaced the carburetor with a Holley 780 dual pump that had a jetting system where you could replace the jets very easily. I toyed with changing those jets and finally got it all tuned in...the result was experiencing the thrill (or studipity) of seeing the speedo read 146 mph down I-85 in Atlanta. I quickly realized that I was encased in fiberglass and that I would not recover from a crash. It was a sweet machine, I sure wish I still had it!!

My cousin had a mid 1970's Vette with a LT-1. Scary fast, I got one ride. WOW!

edited December 16, 2019 6:04PM

Yes, I just opened my power bill for this month, and noticed a new residential service fee of $60.00 has been tacked on. The crooks. I should refuse to pay it, but I don't want to be in the dark. Last time I refused to pay it, they cut the lights off, and I couldn't see anything at night. I remember accidentally kissing the family cat, thinking it was my wife. It's not easy to get fur out of your mouth.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long did the kiss last before you realized it was cat fur?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Which end of the cat did you get?

They are all thieves.
    My gas/electric in the winter can be over $300
    Add my cell phones and TV/Int/Ph and I'm at $1000/month easily

Where is Teddy Roosevelt when you need him.!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

We are the power company, yes you can have lights, but I'm afraid we'll have to break your thumbs first.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimes and more Dimes!!!!

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports stuff would be running shoes

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Golf balls, some for a very brief period of time.

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Probably baseball gloves when I was younger, but without a doubt now, bowling balls. probably go through 3 of 4 per season. Any bowler here knows they just wear out so quickly. Only a handful of sets of golf clubs; the last ones were PINGS and they were tremendous...still have them even though I can't play anymore.

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Fishing reels... about 20 or so at the present time

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

Me too. I don't feel like I purchase golf balls. I rent them.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Me too. I don't feel like I purchase golf balls. I rent them.

I sort of traded them. The ones lofted into the water were gone, but i could usually find an alternate brand in the deep woods. Usually better than the ball I was playing. ;)