Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat silver round

I don’t typically buy bullion and when I do I prefer bars but I found this neat enough to grab

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    I don’t typically buy bullion and when I do I prefer bars but I found this neat enough to grab

Nice one - is that a cud or glue on the obverse?

I must be honest - these days I am wary of bullion without a maker's mark. Yours clearly has some age to it, though.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@CRH4LIFE said:

Nice one - is that a cud or glue on the obverse?

I must be honest - these days I am wary of bullion without a maker's mark. Yours clearly has some age to it, though.

It is a cud! I thought it was glue at first as we’ll

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Attumra said:
    My favorite silver bullion coin!

Love it

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    And here's another nice one-

Yep, picked up a few of these beauties too.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:

I have that exact round. I got it from my Great Grandfather. He likely bought it in the 80s

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this on the metals forum a few weeks back. You'll see several very similar rounds in the box image, and I thought the story was pretty cool, too:

I walked into one of the local shops this week and they had a tray of generic silver rounds. Boring, right? They seem to be 1980s Silver Towne type pieces. Nice quality and not as common as they used to be, but not rare by any stretch.

A few were toned--again, not unheard of and nothing especially desirable or valuable.

But one or two had exceptional toning. That's a little more interesting.

But then the dealer pointed out a few that were badly damaged. Apparently, a contractor was using a modified skid loader to tear down an old single-wide way back in the woods. The loner tenant had passed away a few years back and the landlord just wanted the dilapidated trailer removed. The contractor had picked up part of a wall and was lifting it into his lift trailer when a "waterfall of silver coins poured out". Over 100 of these vintage rounds had been hidden inside the section of the wall. There was apparently some gold, too, but the contractor decided to keep that for himself.

You can still see mud caked on a few of these pieces!

So I picked the prettiest of the bunch. How do you pass up a $20 story like that? :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 2:11PM

My neighbors approve of my new silver round

San Francisco Panama-Pacific Exposition silver round 2 ounce
    Manufactured by the Intaglio Mint

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com