Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**OT** Regarding Chinese counterfeiting/ dry cell batteries

I am posting this here because 1) We all hate Chinese Counterfeits 2) Many of us use a lot of batteries {for cameras-coin photos, etc} and 3) At least a few Coin sellers on Ebay also dabble in dry cell sales.

As tempting as it is, especially during Ebay "Bucks promos", there is a high probability that those bargain batteries on Ebay are counterfeit.

I noticed batteries from ebay sellers have an extremely high failure rate (leaking, swelling, just "going bad") oftentimes WAY before their expiration dates. I called Duracell and found out it is a big problem for them and I imagine Eveready as well.

The counterfeits are very very good copies and there is no sure fire way to detect them short of sending to manufacturer for testing.

I was advised to avoid buying bargain batteries on-line and to stick with brick and mortar sources like Walmart, Costco etc.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know about counterfeit batteries.... Thank you for the warning. Though I do buy from a trusted source, there is always the temptation to buy 'bargains'....I use C123A batteries in many of my flashlights (at least one in every room)...and need them to be reliable. The lights I carry daily are rechargeable. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good reminder,

Counterfeit batteries are a huge issue, and it is not always easy to identify them. In some cases the factory in China that is contracted to make batteries for the big brand names just keeps cranking them out once the contract expires. In other cases the product is a fake from start to finish.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

You think the batteries are bad? NEVER let your wife, daughter or anyone you care about buy makeup on line. Lipstick that’ll burn her lips off and face makeup that’ll destroy her shin forever. Yes, from China and other unknown places.
    Be smart when you purchase anything online.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things the Chinese don’t counterfeit would be a short list.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 3:40PM

A coin to steer this on topic..

I'm more worried about counterfeit coins. I have seen some Morgan's in PCGS holders with type 3 green labels on eBay. What concerns me is the bar code is not as clear as it should be, almost looks like they were running out of ink when it was printed.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file