Home Sports Talk
Options

Brady will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will the Pats resign their 42 YO QB?

Brady will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

No way he ends up in a different uniform.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2019 6:01PM
    no - he wants to prove he can make it elswhere

_ The Los Angeles Chargers are struggling mightily to sell personal seat licenses at their new home in Inglewood (slated to open in ’20). One high ranking team executive said that Dean Spanos’ organization is +/- $350 million short of their initial $400 million target._ https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports-business/chargers-psl-sales/

Spanos is not able to sell PSL's as he had hoped. Ton of revenue is made from these sales. NFL is pissed at the lack of sales. Think what signing Brady could do for those sales. Plus if they got him the Rams might be the "second" team in LA instead of the Chargers. This could turn things completely around in one of the NFL's biggest markets.

If the warm weather Chargers offered him a mega deal I think he might jump.

Having a new $5B stadium as your home ain't to shabby.

He has a home in LA.

Not too mention the other endorsement perks playing for an LA team.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    No way he ends up in a different uniform.

Maybe Cincinnati. He already knows all the plays.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

He will not be a Patriot next season, he will retire or be on another team. I’m thinking he is absolutely heated enough about this season and the lack of offense that he will go to a team that has some better guys around him. Belichick will suffer from it and probably retire soon after. Let’s see how much of a genius he is without Brady

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2019 11:11AM

I suspect he'll go the route of Peyton Manning with less success. I think the Patriots will suffer a little, but as hard as it is to admit, I think Belichick will make changes and be the Team will be OK. maybe not making a run for the SB OK, but still very competitive.

I think the bigger question might be who else leaves as a result of Brady leaving??

• Options
    yes

If Tom Brady goes to another team, I will change my profile picture for a month to this!!!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

I don't envision him playing elsewhere. I see him signing a contract to stay or retiring.

• Options

@keets said:
    I suspect he'll go the route of Peyton Manning with less success. I think the Patriots will suffer a little, but as hard as it is to admit, I think Belichick will make changes and be the Team will be OK. maybe not making a run for the SB OK, but still very competitive.

I think the bigger question might be who else leaves as a result of Brady leaving??

Not making a run for the SB will never be ok under Belichick. As far as who else would leave? Edelman would be the only one that would follow him if the opportunity arose. In my opinion Ofcourse

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2019 4:57PM
    yes

It would be tough to see Brady in another uniform, but this is professional sports. Jordan, Manning, and Montana all did toward the end of their careers. Was hearing a move to Tennessee (reunite with Vrabel), until Tannehill got hot. I believe the decision will be made based on far the Patriots go in the playoffs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not making a run for the SB will never be ok under Belichick.

what I meant by this is that the Team would struggle at first and most likely fall short of what has become expected, but certainly the SB would be their goal.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

I have a feeling toms future is more in the hands of robert kraft than belichick, just like the whole AB situation and the decision to trade Jimmie G. I would be very, very surprised if Kraft ever let Brady leave because of money or anything in his control.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I have a feeling toms future is more in the hands of robert kraft than belichick, just like the whole AB situation and the decision to trade Jimmie G. I would be very, very surprised if Kraft ever let Brady leave because of money or anything in his control.

That’s the thing I think Brady is tired of Kraft and Belichick. Kraft can throw money at him and that’s it, Brady has enough of that. The only way I see him staying is if they promise him that they will load up some offensive players but not sure how they can do that? Free Agent Stud OL and WR’s are not exactly that easy to come by.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't see TB leaving the game under such current circumstances. Where he plays x year I do not know. Yes he does have enough $ and rings. But it's just a feeling I have that he plays somewhere next year.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    yes

@doubledragon said:
    If Tom Brady goes to another team, I will change my profile picture for a month to this!!!!

Have never seen that Joe Louis card. Resembles Joe Buck a lil.

• Options
    yes

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

There is a resemblance indeed.

• Options
    yes

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

That’s the thing I think Brady is tired of Kraft and Belichick. Kraft can throw money at him and that’s it, Brady has enough of that. The only way I see him staying is if they promise him that they will load up some offensive players but not sure how they can do that? Free Agent Stud OL and WR’s are not exactly that easy to come by.

Has there been any indication that Kraft and Bradys relationship has soured? I know they were at odds over the deflategate ordeal, but it sure seems they have patched up that situation. To me, they appear to have a near father/son type relationship and Kraft did come to bat for tom when Bill wanted to keep Jimmie. Tom seems to have an appreciation for NFL history and his legacy. I would be surprised if he decided to go the way of montana or favre and start over with a new team/system at 43 years old. I could see him retiring before switching teams, but he has been adamant about playing until he is 45.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    yes

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

there's one in the doppelgänger thread that strikes a lil more resemblance!

• Options
    yes

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

It's got nothing on Michael Jackson horse. Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it, no one wants to be defeated! OWWWWWW, Shamone!

• Options
    yes

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

@artee said:

@doubledragon said:

It's got nothing on Michael Jackson horse. Beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it, no one wants to be defeated! OWWWWWW, Shamone!

That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the horse in the mirror

I'm asking it to change it's ways

• Options
    yes

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Has there been any indication that Kraft and Bradys relationship has soured? I know they were at odds over the deflategate ordeal, but it sure seems they have patched up that situation. To me, they appear to have a near father/son type relationship and Kraft did come to bat for tom when Bill wanted to keep Jimmie. Tom seems to have an appreciation for NFL history and his legacy. I would be surprised if he decided to go the way of montana or favre and start over with a new team/system at 43 years old. I could see him retiring before switching teams, but he has been adamant about playing until he is 45.

@craig44 What you are saying makes the most sense to me. I feel as though the relationship between Kraft and Brady runs deep, both emotionally and financially. Brady, despite what some may think, does not look done to me. And he doesn't want to go out on a low note. If the Patriots don't make an impressive deep playoff run, I think he will be back with a re-tooled Patriots offense.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

No indication that I’m aware of outside of Brady and his visible aggravated looks on the field, I’m not saying he is specifically angry at anyone but I’d be shocked if he isnt annoyed at both Kraft and Bill. Think about it, they had some really good talent at WR the first part of the season and Belichick gets rid of Gordon and D Thomas while Kraft pulled the plug on AB. I’m pretty sure the offense would not be an issue if those guys were lining up for him. How could he not be annoyed? Is it enough for him to skip town? I’m thinking that plus being with the same organization for 20 years he must be getting that feeling you get doing the same job for years. I remember when I was getting g close to my 20 at the jail everything annoyed me and I couldn’t wait to leave. I think that happens to everyone after doing the same thing for so long. I hope he doesn’t go but if he does I can completely understand and support his decision.

• Options
    yes

The way I foresee it, Brady will want to retire a Patriot. I would be shocked if he plays somewhere else.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

doubledragon, are you OK?
    So, doubledragon are you OK?Are you OK, doubledragon?
    So, doubledragon are you OK?
    Are you OK, doubledragon?

So, doubledragon are you OK?Are you OK, doubledragon?
    You've been hit by, a smooth criminal!

Oh sorry if I was rambling, just concerned about you.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Brady, despite what some may think, does not look done to me.

Brady has not had much of a supporting cast with him on the offense this year. The offensive line has been sub-par, and he has only reliable receiver. Yet, the Pats have won 10 games. It's hard to say how much his talents have diminished.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    yes

I also don't see any indicators that Brady is done. I have seen every snap this year and I don't notice any appreciable difference in velocity of them or accuracy. Usually the first things to go on a quarterback are the legs and the willingness to stand in the pocket to deliver passes when the blitz is strong. Brady is still nimble in the pocket and is still willing to take punishment to deliver balls.

It really is not fair to blame him for working behind a depleted line and throwing to a sub par group of pass catchers.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an extremely tough call in my opinion.

I doubt if anyone, including Kraft, knows for sure what they are going to do.

My guess is they'll play the season out, and then decide. No minds are made up as of yet.

• Options

Tom Brady drops Mass. house asking Price by $6M. https://www.bostonmagazine.com/property/2019/10/04/tom-brady-gisele-bundchen-brookline-mansion-price-drop/

Anxious to get to LA???

• Options
    edited December 20, 2019 1:26PM
    yes

@hammer1 said:
    Tom Brady drops Mass. house asking Price by $6M. https://www.bostonmagazine.com/property/2019/10/04/tom-brady-gisele-bundchen-brookline-mansion-price-drop/

Anxious to get to LA???

Uh oh. Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!
    Stay Tom, please! New England needs you!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Brady, despite what some may think, does not look done to me.

Brady has not had much of a supporting cast with him on the offense this year. The offensive line has been sub-par, and he has only reliable receiver. Yet, the Pats have won 10 games. It's hard to say how much his talents have diminished.

They're winning (mostly) because they are only allowing 13 points per game. The next best team is allowing 16, five teams allowing around 18.

I continue to be baffled by those who give all the credit to Brady. It's a team game. Patriots offense is scoring pretty well at #8 in points per game, but defense has been outstanding, best in NFL by FAR..

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Patriots offense is scoring pretty well at #8 in points per game, but defense has been outstanding, best in NFL by FAR..

Those numbers are inflated by the offense at the beginning of the season. Over the past month, it has been weak, especially at the critical early part of the games. A few of the touchdowns have almost come at "garbage time" when it didn't affect the outcome.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I continue to be baffled by those who give all the credit to Brady. It's a team game.

And if you ask anyone to explain it to you, you will be even more baffled.

Skin likes to use this measure discussing defense in baseball, and it works: how many plays is each player making that couldn't be made by literally any able-bodied adult? Catching a ball thrown straight at you describes 90% of what a first baseman does, for example. For most players, the number is 0 or 1 in most games, and it's almost never more than 2 or 3, except for maybe catchers where catching 100 fastballs might be more than most people's hands could take.

Try that in football, on offense or defense. The guys getting hit by 300+ pounders on every play (i.e., the linemen) are doing something each and every play that none of us could ever do. But quarterbacks? I can hand the ball off, but I can't do what the running back does with it after he gets the ball. I can throw a spiral sideways 10 yards or so, but I can't do what the receiver does with it after that. What I can't do is throw a spiral down the field 40+ yards just over the hands of the defensive back and hit my receiver in stride, or dodge defenders for several seconds waiting for that receiver to get open. And those (mostly) are the plays on which a QB's reputation is based. And they don't happen more than a few times a game. And the thing is, on those plays, every single player on the field was doing something I couldn't do: the linemen were keeping 300+ pound monsters away from the QB, the receivers were running faster than I could, and catching a ball through a defender's hands that I probably couldn't catch even if I could run that fast, and so on. But all the credit goes to the QB, for reasons known but to God, and for reasons nobody has ever, or will ever, try to explain.

The position on a football team that requires the LEAST ability above and beyond the ability of John Q. Public is the quarterback (I watched Jim Hart play in St. Louis for years and I'm not sure he had ANY ability above and beyond John Q. Public). Yes, on those plays where that extra ability is important it is VERY important, but it is not at all obvious to me that those handful of very important plays are worth more to a football team's success than the less important plays that occur very much more often made by the other member's of the team.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2019 5:25PM

Ok now I’ve heard it all. If anyone really believes the utter nonsense Dallas is throwing up here then I really don’t know what to say other than you don’t know football, like not even a little bit. An NFL QB gets the ball snapped to him and has 11 set of eyes on him with LB’s and DB’s assigned to blanket the QB’s “Targets” so the QB has to read the defenses and scan the field to see where he can throw the football to and in many cases it’s a moving target all the while making sure his meathead lineman are not allowing another meat head to absolutely wipe him out. Moving about when necessary and making adjustments under duress and making adjustments when necessary. I played RB and and I promise you it’s not as hard as playing QB, yea you get beat up but it’s a pretty simple formula, get the ball and run. And please stop with all the credit going to the QB, there are more non QB’s in the HOF than QB’s not to mention All Pro Awards and Pro Bowl selections for everyone. Yea I will agree that the QB definitely gets most of the credit for Super Bowl wins and that is definitely a good point but other than that to say the QB is The player that has the least amount of ability is pure nonsense. Ability goes far more that how strong or fast you are in Football.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2019 5:27PM
    yes

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    I continue to be baffled by those who give all the credit to Brady. It's a team game.

Skin likes to use this measure discussing defense in baseball, and it works: how many plays is each player making that couldn't be made by literally any able-bodied adult? Catching a ball thrown straight at you describes 90% of what a first baseman does, for example. For most players, the number is 0 or 1 in most games, and it's almost never more than 2 or 3, except for maybe catchers where catching 100 fastballs might be more than most people's hands could take.

Try that in football, on offense or defense. The guys getting hit by 300+ pounders on every play (i.e., the linemen) are doing something each and every play that none of us could ever do. But quarterbacks? I can hand the ball off, but I can't do what the running back does with it after he gets the ball. I can throw a spiral sideways 10 yards or so, but I can't do what the receiver does with it after that. What I can't do is throw a spiral down the field 40+ yards just over the hands of the defensive back and hit my receiver in stride, or dodge defenders for several seconds waiting for that receiver to get open. And those (mostly) are the plays on which a QB's reputation is based. And they don't happen more than a few times a game. And the thing is, on those plays, every single player on the field was doing something I couldn't do: the linemen were keeping 300+ pound monsters away from the QB, the receivers were running faster than I could, and catching a ball through a defender's hands that I probably couldn't catch even if I could run that fast, and so on. But all the credit goes to the QB, for reasons known but to God, and for reasons nobody has ever, or will ever, try to explain.

The position on a football team that requires the LEAST ability above and beyond the ability of John Q. Public is the quarterback (I watched Jim Hart play in St. Louis for years and I'm not sure he had ANY ability above and beyond John Q. Public). Yes, on those plays where that extra ability is important it is VERY important, but it is not at all obvious to me that those handful of very important plays are worth more to a football team's success than the less important plays that occur very much more often made by the other member's of the team.

Well DA you have done it. You have just posted the most moronic and definitely the #1 "STUPID" post of the year. Actually STUPID post of the Decade!

• Options
    yes

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

This is so very wrong. Dallas, you know a lot about baseball, but it is Crystal clear by this post that you are talking well above your pay grade and far out of your league when it comes to football.

• Options

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that so many of you took the time to state how obviously wrong I am, but not one of you attempted to explain why?

Perk did at least take some time to state his belief that what a QB does is harder than what a RB does, but perk stating it doesn't make it so, and in any event RB is only one position. But perk, seriously, did you type that there are more non-QBs in the HOF than QBs with a straight face? The QB is one out of 22 starting players; how does the percentage of QBs in the HOF compare to that? How many people have you mentioned as a GOAT candidate that weren't QBs? How many QBs would you list as GOAT candidates before a non-QB even entered your mind? 50? 100?

And craig, with all due respect, I'm not going to take anything you say on this subject seriously until you back up your position with something more than insults. Football is a team game. No QB - ever, on any play at all - deserves 100% of the credit for what happened on that play. On a handoff, he gets something south of 1% of the credit; on some short pass plays, where the QBs role is the easiest of anyone's out there, he gets a % or 2; and on the big plays that you all are hallucinating happen far more often than they actually do, he gets more credit than anyone else - maybe even as much as 50%. I remember watching Denver win a Super Bowl DESPITE the awful performance of a geriatric Peyton Manning but when everyone here talks about Manning they list that "ring" as if he had anything at all to do with it. If there was a player, on either team, less valuable than Manning in that game it was Cam Newton, the other QB. And there are LOTS of games like that, all season long and into the playoffs. The statement that Peyton Manning "won" two Super Bowls is equivalent to saying Gene Tenace won four World Series. And while Tenace deserves more credit than Manning for the titles they each won, somehow we think giving Tenace all the credit for his four WS is silly (and it is), we don't see how silly it is to give Manning all the credit for his titles.

Hitting a wide open receiver with no pressure is identically as easy as fielding a slow grounder and tossing it to the first baseman. And Brady, and QBs on other great teams, do that all the time. But what the receiver who got wide open and the linemen who kept the pressure off the QB did was not easy, and they deserve far more credit than the QB for the success of those plays. But there are no linemen stats, and the yards the receivers get are spread out among them while the QB gets "credit" for all of those yards, even if he throws the ball 2 feet and the receiver runs 90 yards with it. Not only is football a team game, passing yards and passing touchdowns are team stats. Construct an argument that acknowledges that obvious fact, and I'll listen to it. Until then, if condescending statements about how little I know about football are all you've got, then you're losing the argument that I'm trying to have.

• Options

Dallas, your so smart you actually outthink yourself at times, I really believe that and I’m not insulting you btw, I KNOW your a very intelligent person, more than I am. What I meant about there being more players in the HOF that are not QB’s explains that all positions are looked at as being important. And yes I’ve stated that Barry Sanders is the GOAT RB, LT is the GOAT LB, and Brady is the GOAT QB. We have agreed to agree that there is no formula to back up anyone’s claim that we can spell out the criteria for the GOAT but we are sports fans and are entitled to our opinions on who is the GOAT. Now back to this fresh argument at hand I will agree that back in the 70’s the QB was not as important but keep in mind that most QB’s back then were basically the offensive coordinators. Yes Skill position players are important and everyone on a Football team plays an important role but seeing a hole and running through it, blocking another player or running a precision pass route and catching a ball is not as important as the field general who is the QB. The game is fast, you have sometimes seconds to get rid of the ball, read defenses, call audibles, check down to a RB if your WR’s are covered, move out of position, get rid of the ball if the play breaks down, tuck the ball and run, bail out to avoid a sack, minimize the yardage lost from a sack, or time a pass on a WR break. I’m sure I’m missing some things but you get my point. Again ability is a lot more than strength and speed. Why are QB’s paid more than anyone? Why is the LT the most important lineman?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Yes Skill position players are important and everyone on a Football team plays an important role but seeing a hole and running through it, blocking another player or running a precision pass route and catching a ball is not as important as the field general who is the QB. The game is fast, you have sometimes seconds to get rid of the ball, read defenses, call audibles, check down to a RB if your WR’s are covered, move out of position, get rid of the ball if the play breaks down, tuck the ball and run, bail out to avoid a sack, minimize the yardage lost from a sack, or time a pass on a WR break. I’m sure I’m missing some things but you get my point. Again ability is a lot more than strength and speed. Why are QB’s paid more than anyone? Why is the LT the most important lineman?

First, and most importantly, thank you for addressing what I'm saying.

And I agree that those things you described as important are indeed important, and sometimes very important. But what I'm saying is that while those things are very important, (1) the QB doesn't do them in a vacuum - everyone around him is contributing and some of them (the LT, for example) may be contributing more than the QB even on those plays, and (2) what you're describing just doesn't happen that many times per game to make it at all obvious that the contributions that other players are making on more plays doesn't outweigh what the QB does on those plays.

Put me in at QB on a team with great players all around me, especially at RB and on the O-line, and my team could win. There would be no long pass plays, for sure, and I wouldn't scramble anywhere except to take a knee or run out of bounds, but if my defense holds the other team to a score or two, and my team's running game can score two or three times, we could win (I'm not saying it's likely, just possible). But put me in at LT and my team's chance of winning is precisely 0%. My QB would be dead after the first pass play, and the RBs would rarely make it out of the backfield. No QB in history, not Brady, not Brees, not Unitas, not anyone, got sacked as rarely as a 30-something, practically immobile, Jim Hart. And while Hart was racking up passing yards, and Jim Otis was winning a rushing title, the five best players on those teams were the five on the O-line. Very similar situation to the Cowboys in the 90's; I don't think Aikman was ever among the ten best players on those teams, although he was better than Jim Hart, who may have been the worst player on the Cardinals.

Why are QBs paid more? Some are paid more because they're worth it, and some are among the most overpaid athletes in professional sports. But the answer to your question, I think, is supply and demand. One of the requirements of being a pro QB is the ability to throw a football accurately for distances of 50 yards or more. Not many people can do that. The rest of the stuff you described - the situational recognition stuff - is what makes the great QBs great. But there are QBs getting paid more than their teammates who can't do any of that stuff well; they're just paid a lot of money because they can throw a football a long way.

Why is the LT the most important lineman? Speaking as a former high school LT, my question to you is why are you limiting them to being the most important lineman rather than the most important player? Teams have won Super Bowls with bad QBs (see Manning, Peyton, 2016) but no team has ever won a Super Bowl with a bad LT. And since we're on the subject, I'll nominate Jonathan Ogden as the GOAT; he was certainly the best player, and primary reason, the Ravens won the Super Bowl back in '01. How confident are you that Ogden wasn't responsible for more victories in his career than anyone else? How could you be?

• Options
    yes

No, Tom will not leave New England! My profile picture will not be a horse's a$$ for a month! Tom will not let me down! Do You hear me Tom, New England needs you! I repeat, stay in New England!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

Speaking as a former high school LT, my question to you is why are you limiting them to being the most important lineman rather than the most important player?

Me too! No wonder people just don't get us.

It was fun dominating bigger, faster, stronger guys because they took the same idiotic inside charge on every single play, despite the fact we ran most of the time to my left.

Of course things changed when I walked into the College locker room and saw everyone was twice my size!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Dallas as always you make me laugh, your points are definitely realistic in a lot of ways and not many people break it down to bottom lines like you do. But yea I get what your saying, the receiver gets a short pass and takes it 90 yards for a TD and the QB gets credit but Ofcourse they give the receiver those yards as well, that’s why they post receiving leaders though right? You think Rice would be the all time leader in yardage received if Montana wasn’t his QB? You think Edelman or Walker would be sniffing HOF talk if their entire career were in Cleveland or Miami? Yea it’s a team game but the QB manages it. Your point about lineman is not going without notice, yes they are very important but there are are 5 of them blocking plus TE and RB blocking as well. There is only one QB to make plays and a teams success rides on the QB more than any other single player especially nowadays. There are a few teams that would be great if they had a better QB more so than teams that would be great if they had a stud lineman or skill position player

• Options

Perk, I don't really disagree with anything you just said, it's more a matter of perspective and degree. You ask if Edelman and Walker would be sniffing HOF talk if they spent their careers with lesser QBs. Almost certainly the answer is "no", but while we agree on that, where we're still talking past each other to some degree is that I'm saying that this a problem. Edelman would take the same skills to any other team, and he would be just as good. That he can only get considered for the HOF because of factors entirely outside of his control makes the HOF meaningless. Whether or not you agree with me about Ken Anderson's slot in the all-time QB rankings doesn't bother me at all, but what bothers me is that Anderson got stuck on a terrible team, got no "rings", so nobody (well, not enough people) thinks of him as a HOFer, while markedly lesser QBs like Bradshaw waltz in without a second thought.

The only other point I'll quibble with is where you say that a team's success rides on the QB more than any other single player. While I think the LT might compete with the QB in some cases, in general I agree that you're right about that. There are 22 starters, plus a kicker, a punter and some special team guys on every team. Obviously, offense and defense have equal value, and let's say special teams have 10% of the value so the split is 45/45/10 between offense/defense/special teams. That means that the average value for an offensive player is 4%. I think the allocation of that, on most teams, is awfully close to 4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4/4, plus or minus 1 here or there, with a good QB getting a 5 or 6 and a great one getting close to 10. I won't speak for you, but I think the average fan has the QB at 50% or so, meaning everyone else on offense has negative value (which is stupid). Just how high do you think the QBs share of the 45% total that is available to him can go before there's no way to do an allocation that isn't stupid (I vote for around 15% for legit GOAT candidates). I think most everyone agrees that the QB - a decent one anyway - is generally the most valuable player on his team, but I think the gap between any reasonable allocation of value to a QB and what nearly all fans perceive his allocation to be is enormous. Compound that with the inane belief that "rings" add value to a QB and what comes out is mostly nonsense like Terry Bradshaw in the HOF, and Troy Aikman mentioned as a GOAT candidate. I saw them both play, as much as anyone here, and I know Bradshaw was at best a "good" QB and Aikman was at best "very good"; neither one approached "great" even at their best. They're HOFers because people think QBs are 50% to 100% responsible for SB wins; in other words, they're in the HOF because people are idiots.

I'll end my rant there; thank you for listening.

• Options

Dallas, Great breakdown of your philosophy I enjoyed reading your well thought out explanation. I absolutely agree with you about the QB’s rings that the sports media over hypes. 🍻

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    It was fun dominating bigger, faster, stronger guys because they took the same idiotic inside charge on every single play, despite the fact we ran most of the time to my left.

Of course things changed when I walked into the College locker room and saw everyone was twice my size!

Even back then, and even at a 2A school, I was a bit on the small side to play LT, and there were definitely better run blockers who could have started ahead of me, But in 4 years (2 JV, 2 varsity) I was called for one penalty (that I didn't commit), and my QB was sacked by the guy I was blocking once. On that one sack - what you just said brought it back - the DL caught me napping because he had been taking the same idiotic inside charge on every single play and hadn't gotten near a tackle all game. But that one time, near the end of the game, he made one move inside and then spun around me to the outside. He paid for it on the next play, but that sack still bothers me.

And as bad as my alma mater's football team was, it was still D1 and in the Southwest Conference; as much as I loved playing football, it never occurred to me to walk into the locker room.

• Options
    edited December 21, 2019 6:19PM

Ahhh the memories of high school football back in 1985 as a 15 year old.. I was a JV Tailback and would run the ball 15-20 times in practice against the Varsity Starting D, take a beating after getting tackled by getting punched and elbowed for fun then for good measure when we hit the showers it was common practice for me and some buddies to get knocked down and whipped with “Rat tails” ( tip of a towel soaked and rolled up like a whip ) or urinated on. Then come game time I’d get in for about 5 plays here and there for my troubles. Yes good times 😂😂😂

• Options

Why is the LT the most important lineman? Speaking as a former high school LT, my question to you is why are you limiting them to being the most important lineman rather than the most important player?

Anybody that includes high school experiences has lost the argument.

• Options

I LOVE my new Sig Line!!!

• Options

@hammer1 said:

Why is the LT the most important lineman? Speaking as a former high school LT, my question to you is why are you limiting them to being the most important lineman rather than the most important player?

Anybody that includes high school experiences has lost the argument.

I had heard that people existed that had no sense of humor, and now I've actually sighted one. That gives me a bingo on my human freak card; I thought I was doomed.

• Options
    edited December 22, 2019 6:43PM

yeah, try to wiggle out of it.

I will give you this, your arguments are indeed laughable.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    yeah, try to wiggle out of it.

I will give you this, your arguments are indeed laughable.

Wiggle out of what? Good Lord, it must suck to have to go through life being you.

And don't use words if you don't know what they mean. "Laughable", for example, is telling someone that their arguments are flawed without explaining why. When several people do it, the correct word is "hysterical".

• Options
    edited December 22, 2019 7:35PM

Quit changing the issue.

You quoted me: "Anybody that includes high school experiences has lost the argument."

You made a stupid argument and were caught.

You appear even dumber when you say, "oh that argument, I was only kidding".

Try being a man and admit it.

Bet you can't.