Home Sports Talk
Options

For the LBJ haters

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 8, 2019 3:58PM in Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say this, Lebron does more for people than a lot of other athletes do. That is impressive.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Impressive resume! Would like to see more professional athletes assist their communities.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not know all of this. WTG LBJ!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Let's admit it, he probably should have found a way to get us out of the Vietnam War before
    so many American lives were lost.

They are talking about another “LBJ.” I agree with you about Johnson. He was the worst president of my lifetime.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't find fault with that resume.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not know all of this.

not many people do except here in the Cleveland/Akron area where Lebron grew up. I have posted about his charitable work before but so many are blinded by their hate of this man that they can't or won't hear it. to his credit, Lebron doesn't go around talking about it, and when it is given notice it's because of things like this or the media. also, it's probable that many, many professional athletes do similar things and just keep quiet about it.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I much prefer Le Bron James to Lyndon Baines Johnson.

Lyndon Baines Johnson responded to the Civil Rights Movement and its goal of lifting up black America with "Great Society" government programs that to this day keeps large portions of black America in poverty conditions.

Audio tape recordings of President Johnson expressly stating his decision to set things up to where government would keep black America at the bottom of society by giving out government checks with strings attached to make blacks a permanent underclass in US society are vile.

It is repugnant to listen to these tapes. They evidence a continuation the Democrat party's disdain for black America since the end of the Civil War.

Kudos and props to Le Bton James on all he does to elevate those at the lowest level of society. Kudos and props to him for also being a devoted husband and a father who does not shirk his responsibilities.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of LBJ, LeBron has mentioned that one day he may run for president.

I'd vote for him.....

.....when hell freezes over.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t dislike Lebron personaly since I don’t know him and I will add that I had no
    Idea he did all those good things, very nice of him. I just wish he would shut his mouth and not talk about politics or do social media 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I would qualify as a 'hater', but do believe he's dumb as a box of rocks (though that might be insulting the intelligence of the rocks). His charitable work is incredible, though he might be well served to spend a touch on his own education.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    His charitable work is incredible, though he might be well served to spend a touch on his own education.

Of all the pro athletes with no college, I'd say Kobe Bryant is the most articulate I've heard speak.

• Options

but do believe he's dumb as a box of rocks

all this based on media interviews and what else?? that's a poor way to gauge someone's intelligence. by that same standard, I know many here are College educated but they come across as being rather dim-witted and not very smart to me. both things are poor ways to assess intelligence.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have considered James to be the GOAT for some time. As with most athletes, I pay little attention to their politics, as long as they aren't kneeling before the flag.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    but do believe he's dumb as a box of rocks

all this based on media interviews and what else?? that's a poor way to gauge someone's intelligence. by that same standard, I know many here are College educated but they come across as being rather dim-witted and not very smart to me. both things are poor ways to assess intelligence.

His willingness to speak on topics he has no understanding of, like Hong Kong. Smart people move the conversation to something they're knowledgeable of and don't fall for the trap.

• Options

I don't wish to knock charity work, of course not. That is always considered laudable. I enjoy giving what i can to charity, particularly the March of Dimes, and most always i put a buck or two in the Salvation Army bucket when they're ringing the bell in front of the store.

Again, not knocking it at all, but i do know that many if not possibly most of these big sports contracts contain language requiring the player to provide certain amounts of money and time to charity. So in reality, it's the team that is doing the real donating to charity.

The Eagles used to do this and i think they still do. A number of players if not possibly all of them, in their contracts are required to give a certain amount of money and time to the Eagles charity.

Again, not knocking it, but when seeing some players out there make an occasional charity appearance, it's actually a contractual obligation, and they probably wouldn't do it otherwise.

All that being said, i would think that at least a fair amount of LeBron's generosity towards charity is likely contractual. However it does appear based on what was posted, that at least some of it, and perhaps even a lot of it, he does himself. So that has to be applauded, and I sincerely do.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 7:47PM

i would think that at least a fair amount of LeBron's generosity towards charity is likely contractual

stevek, you couldn't be more wrong about Lebron James. he does what he does because of what he grew out of.

• Options

@keets said:
    i would think that at least a fair amount of LeBron's generosity towards charity is likely contractual

stevek, you couldn't be more wrong about Lebron James. he does what he does because of what he grew out of.

My full quote:

"All that being said, i would think that at least a fair amount of LeBron's generosity towards charity is likely contractual. However it does appear based on what was posted, that at least some of it, and perhaps even a lot of it, he does himself. So that has to be applauded, and I sincerely do."

Your quote:

"stevek, you couldn't be more wrong about Lebron James. he does what he does because of what he grew out of."

Do you have access to the full details of LeBron's contracts? I don't think you do. So yes, i could be wrong, but then again so could you.

At the very least, it appears as if LeBron does at least some of the charity work on his own accord. And as i basically stated, whether it's a little or a lot, i applaud it. :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he may be dumb but he is no Kyrie Irving he doesn't think the earth is flat

• Options

stevek, whatever............................... I only wonder why people tend to think negatively, to think the worst of people. have a nice day. B)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    stevek, whatever............................... I only wonder why people tend to think negatively, to think the worst of people. have a nice day. B)

Because most of the time people will let you down 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@keets said:

I think negatively about LeBron based on some of his behavior both inside and outside the sports arena.

No sense getting into another CK type discussion. It is what it is.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure do commend his charitable work. I do, however, wish he would just shut up and dribble

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you think he should shut up and dribble? Is it mainly because he has a different perspective than you or is it something deeper in that he has a platform... Perhaps one that comes with what he has been able to do with his life and his success? He is no Eugene McCarthy but most folks would not remember who he was anyway...The title of the thread was LBJ haters.... Seems this LBJ should garner respect even if you are unable to see things the way he does. This is America.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Yes.

• Options

Yes.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Everyone has a right to be outspoken. However when LBJ wanted others not to be outspoken about their opinion of the oppression in Hong Kong because of his economic gains he lost his credibility as one who speaks his mind.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2019 7:13PM

@coinkat said:
    Why do you think he should shut up and dribble? Is it mainly because he has a different perspective than you or is it something deeper in that he has a platform... Perhaps one that comes with what he has been able to do with his life and his success? He is no Eugene McCarthy but most folks would not remember who he was anyway...The title of the thread was LBJ haters.... Seems this LBJ should garner respect even if you are unable to see things the way he does. This is America.

Why? Because I don't watch sports to listen to the uninformed political opinions of the uneducated. I watch sports as an escape from everyday life and watch lbj dribble. If I want political commentary I will watch the news. It's not just lbj. I don't want to hear political commentary from ANY athlete, conservative or liberal.

I am really surprised that pro teams don't include political gag clauses in contracts. I mean what good can come out of it? You have the very real potential of alienating half of your fan base with political drivel. I mean, most places of employment would not tolerate employees blasting their political views while standing on top of the break room table or in front of the building.

What it all really amounts to are famous athletes wanting to twirl in front of the spotlight just a little more. It's an ego thing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2019 8:34PM

raise your hand if you've ever mouthed off when you should've have, or said something that didn't exactly come out right. see mine? i'm trying to touch the sky. i do it daily.

there's an old adage........actions speak louder than words. i have loads of african-american friends who lean as far left as their bodies will go, and that firmly goes against my personal ideology. but i can guarantee you one thing, if something happened to any of them yours truly would sacrifice whatever it took to extricate them from the predicament he/she was in. how absurd would it be for me to distance myself from someone i care about just because their mind processes things differently than mine does?

regardless of left, middle or right, i'm willing to go out on a very tenuous limb and say that we can all agree that LBJ filling the heads of our youth with knowledge -- completely on his dime, mind you -- is an extremely good thing.

edit: his son Bronny (far right in that pic) plays on a team with Dwyane Wade's son. google footage. it's unlike any HS team i have ever seen. idk how good his son is ultimately going to be, but he's a freshman and his jump shot looks better than his daddy's.

• Options

:)

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible and not too difficult to separate professional talent from personal political views. And this extends beyond professional sports... and into the entertainment industry in general.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.