Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Highlighting a very dramatic civil war token overstruck on a Seated Liberty dime

DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying and selling exonumia for several years, I've got to handle some unique pieces. Strange pieces, rare pieces, pieces with great eye appeal. Seldom do they all come together at once in one coin!
This one blows me away:

Without question, it is the strongest overstrike I've ever handled with every detail of the host coin plainly visible (which just so happens to be a Seated Liberty dime!)
So many times rarer than tokens struck over Indian Cents, this one is a trifecta of cool.
Thanks for looking

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely interesting. Do you think that this was a one off as for commerce purposes this was a fail with the host devices remaining so prominent?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 9:41AM

Nice T. Ivory Billiard Saloon and Washington Token strike over a 1858 Dime by William Henry Bridgens.

You do seem to come across a lot of notable rarities @DCW !

Does anyone know what the "T" in "T. Ivory" stands for?

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Extremely interesting. Do you think that this was a one off as for commerce purposes this was a fail with the host devices remaining so prominent?

This was most definitely done as a numismatic strike for the business or a collector of the day. Not an "error" as we think of the term today.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Zoins said:

I'm not certain, however I dont believe it refers to the proprietor's name. I mean it would be quite a coincidence that his name is T. Ivory and he operates a billiards saloon. Like he was born into the business!
    I also couldnt find the establishment in my research, but it has been just a cursory search.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

One note of caution. Counterfeit CWT's have been on the market for several years.

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    One note of caution. Counterfeit CWT's have been on the market for several years.

Cmon, man. Please dont add something negative like that to this thread. This came out of the collection of Q. David Bowers and is certified by our hosts, PCGS MS62.

It is certainly the genuine article.

Maybe you didnt mean anything by your comment, but maybe you did. There are plenty of other ways to educate, Insider2.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece DCW! It does have a lot going for it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really unique and interesting... Certainly a rarity.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a super nice error coin!!

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding! I have a cent overstrike but as you mentioned overstrikes on Dimes are much rarer than overstrikes on cents. Thanks for sharing!

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite the piece. Nice that the date is still visible!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@Zoins said:

According to the store card book the merchant was Thomas Ivory.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 6:39PM

@CWT1863 said:

@Zoins said:

According to the store card book the merchant was Thomas Ivory.

Awesome! I've been curious about this forever. Thanks!

Looking this up now finds the following reference:

And a number of references to a Thomas Ivory that served in Company K of the 88th US Colored Infantry during the Civil War:

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 6:50PM

Okay, this is cool.

From Old Brooklyn in Early Photographs, 1865-1929 By William Lee Younger:

• Options

Wow, @Zoins !
    That photo made by day

And good info provided by @CWT1863

Thank you for that info.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Zoins That photo is amazing! Great find.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 7:29PM

Very intriguing, wondering who or how that dime found its way into 3 hoppers? I'm a little confused, originally the seated dime, IHC, then token???
    Edited for: I read the title :) no IHC but, still intriguing.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 3:07PM

@DCW said:

@Insider2 said:
    One note of caution.

Cmon, man. Please dont add something negative like that to this thread. This came out of the collection of Q. David Bowers and is certified by our hosts, PCGS MS62.
    It is certainly the genuine article.

Maybe you didnt mean anything by your comment, but maybe you did. There are plenty of other ways to educate, Insider2.

I certainty did mean something. Without any comment on the authenticity of your coin at all, I posted: "Counterfeit CWT's have been on the market for several years." I consider that to be a warning not an educational comment. Any fake that is decent enough to get into the slab of a TPGS cannot be authenticated using an image (without known diagnostics). That is a fact.

You have posted a very special coin. That's another fact. I'll try to be more careful to make my posts more understandable so as not to ruffle any feathers. :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the wildest tokens I've seen. great thread!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat token !
    When I was in high school, I ran track for Bob Ivory. Probably Tom's great grandson !

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Zoins said:

I'm not certain, however I dont believe it refers to the proprietor's name. I mean it would be quite a coincidence that his name is T. Ivory and he operates a billiards saloon. Like he was born into the business!
    I also couldnt find the establishment in my research, but it has been just a cursory search.

This is called nominative determinism, an interesting concept for sure. Also a cool token!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file