Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cent box - approximate age

Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody got a guess on an approximate age of this?

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late 60's or early 70's would be my guess.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I was just going to sell them in the box but I suppose worth taking a look at a few rolls in there

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The use of a zip code puts it mid 60s or later.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    I was just going to sell them in the box but I suppose worth taking a look at a few rolls in there

If they were mine I would check out a couple of rolls... unless the box has not been opened...then I would reconsider checking any rolls. I'm glad it's you instead of me. :)

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The use of a zip code puts it mid 60s or later.

July 1, 1963 to be precise. I'm old enough to remember the zone system (i.e-New York 57, New York) that preceded ZIP codes. And yeah-that's old.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mid-late 60s

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has the box or rolls been opened? If not, that is quite an interesting project... I would open them...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

How’d you end up with this box?

• Options

Bought in an estate. Inside looks like this

• Options

Certainly not a bonk roll box....so, no harm in going through them all. Some collector likely just put them away from pocket change back in the day...Do a variety search, not likely to find any key dates, but who knows? You know more about the collector's habits than we do.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm drooling now.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2019 11:24AM

@AUandAG said:
    Certainly not a bonk roll box....so, no harm in going through them all. Some collector likely just put them away from pocket change back in the day...Do a variety search, not likely to find any key dates, but who knows? You know more about the collector's habits than we do.

Bought pretty much everything with zero focus to the tune of $250k or more (haven’t hit the safes yet). Shopping channel crap, gov mint and other sites to estate sale purchases to us mint stuff. Multiples of each purchase. Like 25 1964-2013 kennedy sets. Very strange to not have any focus. Zero books short of local auction stuff.

Hoarded 14k jewelry by the gallon ziplock bag too!!

I get 200+ lbs per week to sell. I take a 30% commission average but it’s been a ton of work. The jewelry will be nice when he lets it go even for my 5% on that.

• Options

Fun and a pain at the same time....perfect for the cherrypicker as the collector just collected with no focus and thus probably zero interest in varieties/cherries. The pain, you know, is sell off all the dreck....accounting...etc.

Probably won't do to well besides just making your commish.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 1:16PM

@Bigbuck1975 said:

Bought pretty much everything with zero focus

His own version of a "box of 20" I guess. If it made him happy, so be it. But sounds like it was not a good investment if that is what he had been aiming for.

Then again, if you are going to hoard something, coins and gold jewelry are better than old newspapers or broken furniture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file