Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a local shop worth the wait. First buys

KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2019 4:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Today as my day started I was discouraged and decided to take a drive to a coin shop that opened up near me. Well when I walked in I was mesmerized by the beauty, organization and the kindness of the staff. I even got a handshake by the owner who was patient and Courteous.

I would of bought more but with current job status had to limit my adds.

Here are the 2 coins I purchased and no haggling price is on display and worth what you get.

1853 $1

1903-s $5

Let me know your thoughts

By the way even the Logo is awesome

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Options

Anyone care to GTG. I will add holders pics later

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I really like your dollar.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no good at GTG but I'll be interested to find out.

They look great and its great to find a shop you like.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like you had a great day. Very nice coins.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the dollar and my guess is:
    $1G MS64
    $5G MS62

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like quality coins to these eyes. Be sure to get a good relationship going with these guys

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!
    Glad you found a nice store with nice material.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 on the $1, 63 on the $5
    I like them both

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl

They are both lovely Aus!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasional stop on your route for sure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2019 8:24PM

@ms70 said:
    They are both VERY pretty coins. I came into the thread late, but I would've guessed a point higher on each.

Everything in the shop is top for grade and worth the price no games. Top shop. I would add them to your trip next time in Florida. They are Top notch honest. Best I have found.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice scores

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins and great to find a coin shop as you described. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late as well, I would have said 63 on the $1 and 64 on the $5. That 03-s is SEVERELY under-graded.

No worthwhile coin shops up here, just a bunch of snakes. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say the OP has a pretty good "eye" for quality. I would have guessed 64, and 62+63 range. I don't see any "rub" on either coin and they both look "original."

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coins and great you found a friendly shop. I thought they would both grade about 63, that HE is really nice!!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and glad you found a great shop near you.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Shop is owned by John Maben, should be a good one.

ANA 1106971 MSNS NBS
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where in Florida are they located?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

@ms70 said:
    They are both VERY pretty coins. I came into the thread late, but I would've guessed a point higher on each.

Everything in the shop is top for grade and worth the price no games. Top shop. I would add them to your trip next time in Florida. They are Top notch honest. Best I have found.

John's a good guy... I worked with him when he was starting up ModernCoinMart almost 15 years ago.

@golden said:
    Where in Florida are they located?

Bradenton (Sarasota)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick ups!!

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

63,62.having a nice local shop is awesome

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both coins look excellent for the assigned grade, and probably deserve better. So pick the one you like the most, crack it, and resubmit. Probably not a HUGE increase in value, but an endorsement of your good taste........PRICELESS.

OINK

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this. It's 5 minutes from where I live!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Both coins look excellent for the assigned grade, and probably deserve better. So pick the one you like the most, crack it, and resubmit. Probably not a HUGE increase in value, but an endorsement of your good taste........PRICELESS.

OINK

I trust the eyes of the grading companies and Mr. Maben, regarding the potential of any meaningful upgrades.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

The value of the OGH is higher than a one point upgrade, would not be a smart move.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

The value of the OGH is higher than a one point upgrade, would not be a smart move.

While I probably wouldn't re-grade the coins, a one point difference in value for the gold dollar would be in excess of $100.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@coinbuf said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

While I probably wouldn't re-grade the coins, a one point difference in value for the gold dollar would be in excess of $100.

And by the time you back out the cost of regrading it the value of the upgrade is washed out. I would send to CAC and hope for a gold bean before I'd regrade, cheaper and an even greater value bump.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:

OINK

As you posted, not worth the extra money for a "try" at an upgrade. The coins are either accurately graded or under-graded. In which case the will sell themselves when the time comes and their owner can can start the price higher than the grade on the slab. Let the new buyer go for the upgrade. Gradeflation is on the side of the present owner.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry for being late to the party Kathy ....... those are beautiful golds <3 Congrats! You spent your $$ wisely :)

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Very nice coins. Glad to see a new coin store open, good for the hobby and collectors!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice considering " current job status" issues.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're lovely !
    I've always enjoyed type one dollars. They look a lot like baby twenties......

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gold indeed!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2019 11:44AM

@golden said:
    Where in Florida are they located

Sarasota,FL which is on the west coast
    7230 55th Ave E
    Bradenton, FL 34203
    United States

pegavault.com

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@GotTheBug said:

So what you waiting for get yourself to the shop. I’m sure you will find something you will be pleased to acquire!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Very nice considering " current job status" issues.

I saved my money for past couple years knowing what was coming on job front and am selling off the odds and ends to consolidate and strengthen my collection. It will take time but this is my strategy at the moment.

I’m confident I will find another job at some point. For now it’s strategic moves with my collection while I have the time.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking both are above average Uncs. Nice coins and should cac.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

no haggling price is on display and worth what you get.

1853 $1

1903-s $5

Wow! You got them for face value! Sweet! Actually beautiful looking coins, love to visit the shop, sounds like a nice place but....it's just 1440 miles away....

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2019 1:11PM

Found some pix courtesy of Google. Looks like a very organized place.> @Kkathyl said:
    Well when I walked in I was mesmerized by the beauty, organization and the kindness of the staff.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty late to the game, but super nice pieces! FWIW... I'd submit the $1 for a gold bean...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@JohnMaben said:
    It's been so long since my last post I was locked out, didn't recognize my email, and had to go through customer service to get back in.... they did a great job though helping me. Thanks to Kathy for starting this thread and to others for nice comments. 42 year since I started full time, have a long resume, and never owned a real coin shop until now. Kathy really impressed me with her knowledge and enthusiasm! If I can be of any service, please let me know.

Glad to see you on the forum again!

Welcome Back!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@JohnMaben said:
    It's been so long since my last post I was locked out, didn't recognize my email, and had to go through customer service to get back in.... they did a great job though helping me. Thanks to Kathy for starting this thread and to others for nice comments. 42 year since I started full time, have a long resume, and never owned a real coin shop until now. Kathy really impressed me with her knowledge and enthusiasm! If I can be of any service, please let me know.

Best of luck and success, John.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

@GotTheBug said:

So what you waiting for get yourself to the shop. I’m sure you will find something you will be pleased to acquire!

I went there yesterday and introduced myself. They have some very nice material, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring in as they build their business.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great gold additions! It looks like a nice shop!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file