Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a 1983 quarter P Mint and on the reverse there might be an error in the letters above the eag

Best Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 11:57AM Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like post mint damage, there may have been some slight grease fill or die erosion before the damage.
    no extra value

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forums @Silverguy.

Recommend you hold the coin by the edge. The oils from your hands and fingers can and does cause damage and imprints on a coin that may decrease its numismatic value.

Also, the mushiness of the relief, letters, and numbers does indicate the die used to make the quarter was in a later die state... i.e., about to be “retired” from use.

A couple good reference books is the Cherrypickers’ Guide for errors and varieties and the US Coin Guide (Red Book). This link has a lot of good info on errors: http://www.error-ref.com/

Enjoy the hobby!

Answers

• Options

I am kind of new at this so any help would be much appreciated

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Silverguy....Welcome aboard.... We were all new to coins at one time...Good answers/help above.... Keep looking and ask questions... but definitely get the Redbook and the Cherry Pickers Guide... And the link above is also informative. Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Silverguy said:
    I am kind of new at this so any help would be much appreciated

Most of we coin collectors are greatly interested in condition. This means not only does the coin need to be well made but it needs to have little or no wear.

It's not only about condition but it is especially important where typical coins are extremely common. There is just no competition among collectors for worn '83 quarters. This coins hasvalue with very light wear and even more with no wear. To be valuable this date must have no wear and be well made.

With effort nicer examples can still be found in circulation. But you won't find any of this date with no wear (Uncirculated) any longer. The last Uncirculated '83 quarter I saw in circulation was about 1997.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file