Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust Half Newp

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up an 1823 O-101 Broken 3. I remember seeing this pictured among all the other date varieties in the first Red Book I got when I was 8 or 9 and thought it was really cool then. I still think it's cool.

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45? Nice piece, wonderful image.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

And looks CAC-worthy too, though JA will be concerned whether the mark above the left wing looks "fresh" or original - may be less obtrusive in hand.

I'm sure you were really concerned about all that when you were 8 or 9 :)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin! :)@messydesk

@Coinosaurus "the mark above the left wing looks "fresh" or original"

Looks like it might be a clash mark. ;)

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that’s a dandy

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Great look. Nice one.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin and great photo!

• Options

@morgansforever said:

Thanks. It's graded VF35. The mark above the wing is a clash.

• Options
    Sean1990Sean1990 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

I owned this coin when it was ungraded and sold in to the collector who had it sent to our host. Really an outstanding coin!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat die variety, and I love the subtle toning.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice old coin....Looks good for the grade.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pickup

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Love the color and overall originality!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice XF+. All the varieties of the 1823 are neat.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, John. Original. Looks like 40 to me.
    Lance.

• Options

That broken 3 was a source of embarrassment to the Mint. So the broken 3 was repaired and striking resumed with the "patched 3".

Good job fellas.
    Lance.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@morgansforever said:

Thanks. It's graded VF35. The mark above the wing is a clash.

I think the mark referred to is the "X" between the N and the wing. I really like the coin!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 1:28PM

Here is an Ugly 3 I bought from the coin lieutenant years ago, and later sold, the toughest type to find...

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

35?! Wow... I was thinking easily 40, and with the remaining luster in the devices, a shot at 45...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    And looks CAC-worthy too, though JA will be concerned whether the mark above the left wing looks "fresh" or original - may be less obtrusive in hand.

I'm sure you were really concerned about all that when you were 8 or 9 :)

That mark above the wing appears to be a clash mark. It sort of looks like a fresh scratch just because of the way the light is hitting it.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Beautiful!

Oh ... I should have added ... it's the perfect grade for my set ... so ... if you ever want to ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking coin.

• Options

@lkenefic said:
    35?! Wow... I was thinking easily 40, and with the remaining luster in the devices, a shot at 45...

While it has some characteristics of an XF coin, there's a bit too much wear on the hair curls and wing edge for XF. Had this coin been in an XF45 holder I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I don't like buying coins that are graded in their respective "shot at" grades.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@lkenefic said:

While it has some characteristics of an XF coin, there's a bit too much wear on the hair curls and wing edge for XF. Had this coin been in an XF45 holder I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger. I don't like buying coins that are graded in their respective "shot at" grades.

I can see that. I was initially thinking there was more flatness in strike than wear... very nice piece, regardless.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2019 3:05PM

The perceived wear on the hair curls and wings (and talons) is common for the die pair. Here's an AU50 on Coinfacts.
    Lance.

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely example of a very fun variety!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file