Comments

• @StaceyH said:

is this penny worth anything?

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

LCoopie = Les
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 6:38AM

Sorry for miss speaking. Your cent.... not penny...is worth 2.5 cents wholesale.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Face value.

It's a wheat cent. It's worth at least 2.5 cents wholesale.

It's okay not to to make a comment

• CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

It is shiny. Stick it in an album get the whole set.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 5:54AM

@Jimnight said:
    Face value.

Please sell me all of your common BU wheat cents for face value then. This comment is off-putting to a new member and it’s also wrong.

Common date BU wheat cents would cost 25-50 cents. Obviously it is hard to sell one coin for that but if Stacey is assembling a set that’s money she no longer has to spend.

Welcome to the boards @StaceyH!

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a nice looking coin, but unfortunately they are common. This would be valued the same as other common wheat cents which is 2-3 cents. It is worth saving if you're interested in starting a collection. Sorry for the bad news

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice Cent! I collected from change as a kid in the mid ‘60s and still have my Whitman’s. Very lacking were bright shiny wheats. Never found one as nice as that one. Done let other posters downplay your good find!

edited December 7, 2019 6:31AM

@david3142 said:

@Jimnight said:
    Face value.

Please sell me all of your common BU wheat cents for face value then. This comment is off-putting to a new member and it’s also wrong.

Common date BU wheat cents would cost 25-50 cents. Obviously it is hard to sell one coin for that but if Stacey is assembling a set that’s money she no longer has to spend.

Welcome to the boards @StaceyH!

Please forgive me... I miss spoke. I did not mean to hurt anyone. I'm sorry forever.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many coins were collected and hoarded during the 1950's and 1960's. Those collections and hoards are now being broken up and often being tossed back into circulation by heirs who are not interested in coins. The coin you found is common and has little numismatic value but is still interesting because of its high grade and the fact that it is 61 years old.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StaceyH ....Welcome aboard.... That would be a very nice coin to add to a collection or album of wheat cents. While not of significant numismatic value, it is in great condition for a 61 year old cent. Cheers, RickO

edited December 7, 2019 6:48AM

@StaceyH ....I'm sorry for miss speaking. In America it's known as a cent not a penny... but is commonly known as a penny.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 8:08AM

@Jimnight said:
    In America it's known as a cent not a penny... but is commonly known as a penny.

Even I am starting to give up that battle. :'(

It is still "cents" when giving an amount or price, but individual coins are more and more called "pennies" even by me.

Part of the reason for my surrender is that I universally use the word "nickel" to describe a five cent coin. There is no such denomination as a "nickel".

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

One reputable national dealer whom I have bought Cent rolls from in the past currently sells brilliant uncirculated rolls of these for $11.95. That's dealer retail at twenty-four cents per coin. It's perfectly easy to understand why seasoned collecting people won't get excited.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 9:01AM

@StaceyH Welcome to the forum! :)

That is a very nice wheat cent for a circulation find. As mentioned it is not of great value but is nice coin to hold on to for your collection. Nice find! :)

This is the second nice wheat cent that has popped up recently. Both may have been from the Great American Coin Hunt earlier this year and more coins may pop up as time goes by. The folks that find these coins may not be collectors and are looking for constructive help to understand what they have. They may not understand or care about numismatic terms such as Red or Brown, cabinet friction, slider or cent vs. penny. If it sparks an interest in collecting they may care more about the terms in the future but to get hammered with a bunch of terms a new collector could get discouraged. This is where we as numismatic professionals need to encourage the excitement if we want new collectors in the hobby. If they stick around they will have the desire to learn the proper terms as time goes by.

I am not calling out anyone here, many of us have gotten frustrated with newbie questions or respond in humor.
    The best answer is a warm welcome and a simple answer. :)

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 9:51AM

It's nicer than the one I have in my complete set of wheat cents.... Mine is probably AU and yours is probably in the MS ~63 to ~65 range.... To answer your question of value, "you might" be able to sell it to someone who collects Lincoln cents for maybe 10 to 15 cents. Unfortunately, like "most" UNC wheat cents from the 40's and 50's, they really aren't worth much.

Too bad it isn't the 58 (p) wheat cent double die then you'd a valuable coin. Like well over 100k.

@JBK said

Even I am starting to give up that battle.

Me too. I grew up calling them a penny. Yesterday I ordered 4 boxes of pennies from the bank....
    You never know.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    @StaceyH ....I'm sorry for miss speaking. In America it's known as a cent not a penny... but is commonly known as a penny.

I disagree, maybe a west coast, east coast thing? I've always called them wheat pennies, over 65 years now. Oh, and it's very unusual find after all these years. I agree that it was part of someone's collection that is being dispersed somehow.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    edited December 7, 2019 10:45AM

@AUandAG said:

@Jimnight said:

I disagree, maybe a west coast, east coast thing? I've always called them wheat pennies, over 65 years now. Oh, and it's very unusual find after all these years. I agree that it was part of someone's collection that is being dispersed somehow.

bob :)

Fair enough.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not list it on the bst and see what you can get?

LCoopie = Les
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice, bright coin that's over 60 years old. I can understand why you showed it to us.

In our world, a coin like yours is common. That's not to say it isn't a nice coin.

It just doesn't have a big value to it.

Welcome

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StaceyH welcome to the CU forums.

Nice looking 58-D. Perfect to put in a coin collecting album along with the other dates.

Example Lincoln cent album:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file