Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picked up a nice Proof Franklin today

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up at a small shop in Cedarburg
I like the interesting "wire brush cameo" look and very clean fields. Maybe I'll cross it, I do have a vacancy for 1952 in my registry set in progress.
Cell phone pics for now. GTG if you want to.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

66-67cam.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF67*.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 67...However, that 'wire brush' effect in the picture looks strange...perhaps in hand it is not so accentuated....based solely on the picture, I would worry about a 'Genuine'....and again, that may be totally due to lighting...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice proof

• Options

@ricko it's the way they refinished the dies back then. Here is a PCGS Pr67 Cam example with the same thing

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/36661249_150953479_2200.jpg

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 ....Thanks, I see that in the larger picture....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @ChrisH821 ....Thanks, I see that in the larger picture....Cheers, RickO

I thought the same thing and wondered how NGC could have 'missed' it. The larger image helped. I like the character of the coin as a result of refinished die.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ole Ben is shown taking a shower!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! Pretty clean so I will also go 66-67 based on the pics.
    Similarly, based on the pics it may not be cameo because of the reverse.
    I'd love to see that one in hand....

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 7:13AM

PF 64 or 65. The wire brush marks should take it down a few points.

Franklin's are one of my favorites series. It's a smaller set (35 dates/mm I think) that can still be accumulated relatively quickly in MS for a low price. Lot's of PF's still out there too.

I put a MS/PF set together a few years ago that only took a few coin show visits.

• Options

@CCGGG said:

Franklin's are one of my favorites series. It's a smaller set (35 dates/mm I think) that can still be accumulated relatively quickly in MS for a low price. Lot's of PF's still out there too.

I put a MS/PF set together a few years ago that only took a few coin show visits.

Curious- Why do you think the die scratches on the devices would take it down a few points? My understanding is they are considered part of the surface and have no impact on grade since that's just how the Mint made them.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Franklin Cameo proofs made from repolished dies are stunning in appearance. The die polishing lines present on the devices make for an interesting appearance.

Nice coin.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@CCGGG said:

Curious- Why do you think the die scratches on the devices would take it down a few points? My understanding is they are considered part of the surface and have no impact on grade since that's just how the Mint made them.

Eye appeal.

• Options

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821

That is a very nice looking Ben!

—————

@Catbert said:
    Ole Ben is shown taking a shower!

Lathered, rinsed, and now he’s air drying. :D:)

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2019 8:44PM

Beautiful coin, definitely one I would buy, thanks

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

Good luck crossing that coin. The lines on the obverse devices on that proof coin should have caused the Mint to reject it and melt it. I find them more distracting than PMD hair lines. I am not of the crowd that "as minted" can be a 70. Obviously the difference between a PR 69 or even 68, and 70 is Mint related. As minted lines on the obverse devices like on this coin limit the grade to no more than 63 IMHO.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Good luck crossing that coin. The lines on the obverse devices on that proof coin should have caused the Mint to reject it and melt it. I find them more distracting than PMD hair lines. I am not of the crowd that "as minted" can be a 70. Obviously the difference between a PR 69 or even 68, and 70 is Mint related. As minted lines on the obverse devices like on this coin limit the grade to no more than 63 IMHO.

OINK

They aren't quite so pronounced looking at it in hand. These pictures are more accurate:

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before looking at everyone's responses I was going to say either PF66 or PF67CAM based upon the first digit of the price starting with a 2. :) The 66 seems fair, I don't see any value in crossing that one vs. cracking and submitting. I'd think it's a 66 all day.

• Options

I haven't looked at my Franklin's in a well over a year so this thread made me dig it out of the safe and take a few quick pictures. Nothing spectacular but it's one of my favorite raw sets.

I think one of the reasons I like the series is when I was a young man (10 to 12) I can remember getting Franklin's in change. Occasionally I'd get a Liberty half too but not nearly as often as Franklin's. By the time I was in my early to mid teens they were all gone from circulation.

• Options

Very nice set @CCGGG
    My Franklin Dansco set is a favorite for me too. One can assemble a very appealing set without spending too much money on it. You can also get more technical by searching for FBL examples if that floats your boat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file