Home Sports Talk
Options

What was better about pro and college sports, thirty years ago?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a college sport guy, but for pro, announcers for one. Less garbage all over the screen too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I watch very little baseball but the WS caught my interest this year. The strike zone outline was a deal killer. WTF is wrong with the producers?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one thing I loved about College Football was the different offenses teams ran. Wishbone, Power I ect

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

both games have really changed.
    --- College used to be three yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust with occasional passing, now it's sort of like the Pro game from the 1980's and I actually enjoy it more than the NFL.
    --- the NFL is now dominated by rules that are hard to interpret and on-field Official "judgement" calls that interrupt the flow of almost every game. add to that the ridiculous celebrations and me-ism that takes place and I'm pushed away. the NFL isn't a Pro-Sport anymore, it is marketed as big time entertainment which attracts everything that goes along with that. money has always driven the NFL but it's crazy big now and distorts the game.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to love all the Pro Sports. But now, I rarely watch any games at all. Maybe a baseball game every now and then. I love the college game in so many sports, Football, Basketball, Tennis, Women's volleyball. All very entertaining.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Regular season is too long and less important in MLB, NHL, and NBA. Expanded playoffs allowing more teams in has contributed to a less meaningful regular season, plus players aren’t nearly as intense/competitive during the regular season. Now your seeing a “rest day” for NBA stars to prepare for playoffs. I would be mad as hell if I paid big bucks for a ticket and Giannis, LBJ, Kawhi, Harden, etc. rested. Can’t beat NFL (short season and all games crucial), good College football matchups (Iron Bowl), NBA playoffs, March Madness, MLB playoffs, NHL playoffs, Frozen Four.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

NFL refs didn't "fix games" long ago. Now they all gamble on teams then skew the results so they win their bet. Have you been watching the officiating the past 5 years? OMG awful. i've never seen so many bogus calls, even when they are challenged.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree the officiating has been horrible. With legal gambling confidence in results will go lower and lower. Just within the last year we have had the wrong team in the Super Bowl and the NCAA Basketball Championship Game. Both were the result of obviously horrible non calls.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just miss the generation. I really loved that generation of athletes. I The years go by and you start to miss players like Michael Jordan, and Barry Sanders etc. Now, I must go tend to the birds that live in my beard. They're due to hatch any day now.

• Options

Ticketing was simple. Lay your cash down at the window and you had your seats.

Seems much more complicated now.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

More memorable names back then.

Deacon, Lambert, Campbell, Theisman, Bradshaw, so many memorable players I'll never forget.

Not so much now.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great question.

I no longer watch much college basketball or football. But up until the mid 90s, when I hit my early 20s, I did - mostly basketball. I think it was better then because the star players stayed longer. You got to see a cohesive team develop. I was a huge fan of the Chris Mullen St John's Redmen and s little later the Marcus Camby UMass teams.

I remember in about 1995 talking to a college buddy about Glenn Robinson, then in his first or second year in the NBA. He was saying that he was surprised Robinson didn't look better because he felt like he was one of the best college scorers he had seen in terms of getting his own shot. Boring story I know, and that's pretty much the last time I thought much about college basketball until now.

• Options

@hammer1 said:
    More memorable names back then.

Deacon, Lambert, Campbell, Theisman, Bradshaw, so many memorable players I'll never forget.

Not so much now.

Probably not fair, but about all I'll remember from this era of NFL is dreadlocks and kneeling.

Oh..and Dimeman posting about the Cowboys.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was 42 not 72! :)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

I thought I was old, but you are OLD! ;-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

But I still "think" I am 40!

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2019 11:47PM
    1. The fact that every space that's larger than a foot didn't have corporate logos all over it.

2. The toughness of athletes. Football is hard to say that knowing what we know now, but MLB pitchers are babied so much now, it's embarrassing.

3. The lack of so many unnecessary stats. Today we have stats for stats. And help leads to the issues with #2 up there.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Agree the officiating has been horrible. With legal gambling confidence in results will go lower and lower. Just within the last year we have had the wrong team in the Super Bowl and the NCAA Basketball Championship Game. Both were the result of obviously horrible non calls.

What I can’t believe is that NFL is putting a team in Los Vegas. Talk about putting the henhouse in the middle of the fox’s den! The stadium will almost be within earshot of the biggest sports betting venues in the country.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

But I still "think" I am 40!

My wife says I often act like a child!

WHAT?

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Brick said:

What I can’t believe is that NFL is putting a team in Los Vegas. Talk about putting the henhouse in the middle of the fox’s den! The stadium will almost be within earshot of the biggest sports betting venues in the country.

It will be an easy commute for the refs.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

If it was 40 years ago, I would say it was better with no baseball designated hitter. For 30 years ago, I am feeling that both college and pro sports were better without officiating replay. Pro sports were better without the huge player compensation.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@s4ny said:
    If it was 40 years ago, I would say it was better with no baseball designated hitter. For 30 years ago, I am feeling that both college and pro sports were better without officiating replay. Pro sports were better without the huge player compensation.

you are ok with 15 dollar beers as long as the players don't get paid much?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@s4ny said:

Maybe he is tired of subsidizing new stadiums with his tax dollars. Without the "free" money, the $40,000,000 paychecks might be only $25,000,000.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is because the things we saw/experienced when we were younger always seem bigger/better/cooler the older we get. It's the whole, "they don't make em like they used to" scenario.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@s4ny said:

Maybe he is tired of subsidizing new stadiums with his tax dollars. Without the "free" money, the $40,000,000 paychecks might be only $25,000,000.

it wouldnt work that way tho , if players got paid peanuts , taxpayers would still pay for stadiums and beers would still be 15, they would just keep the extra

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think it is because the things we saw/experienced when we were younger always seem bigger/better/cooler the older we get. It's the whole, "they don't make em like they used to" scenario.

You forgot about shorter. Baseball games were 2 and a half hours long, not 3 and a half.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

@s4ny said:

it wouldnt work that way tho , if players got paid peanuts , taxpayers would still pay for stadiums and beers would still be 15, they would just keep the extra

But major league talent is market competitive. Sure you have a couple drop out owners, but most bid freely attempting to win a championship. Bigger the pot, the more bucks available

*Is anyone really getting $15 for a beer? I have heard of $8 or $9.

• Options

I don't drink actually . Id like to believe no one would be stupid enough to even pay $8 but :D

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crazy names of college football bowls we have today. Used to be a bonus for a well played season, now it's just about come one, come all. Giving clear proof that money talks.

Maker's Wanted Bahamas Bowl
    Tropical Smoothie Cafe Bowl
    Celebration Bowl
    New Mexico Bowl
    FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl
    Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
    Camellia Bowl
    Mitsubishi Motors Bowl
    R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
    Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
    SoFi Hawai'i Bowl
    Walk On's Independence Bowl
    Quick Lane Bowl
    Military Bowl
    New Era Pinstripe Bowl
    Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
    SDCCU Holiday Bowl
    Cheez-it Bowl
    Goodyear Cotton Bowl
    Camping World Bowl
    Chic-fil-A Peach Bowl
    Playstation Fiesta Bowl
    SERVPRO First Responder Bowl
    Franklin Amer. Mort. Music City Bowl
    Redbox Bowl
    Capital One Orange Bowl
    Belk Bowl
    Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl...my favorite
    AutoZone Liberty Bowl
    NOVA Home Loans Arizona Bowl
    Valero Alamo Bowl
    Outback Bowl
    Vrbo Citrus Bowl
    Rose Bowl game
    Allstate Sugar Bowl
    TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl
    TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
    Famous Idaho Potato Bowl
    Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl
    Lending Tree Bowl

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Anything?

Everything?

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

The commercialization. Everything is "sponsored by", "brought to you by", named for a company, product placement, etc. Just sit and watch how many products/companies are shown, mentioned, pushed at you and you really realize how ridiculous it has become. It is no longer about the game, the sport, the player, the fans, even the entertainment. It is about the almighty dollar.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

We had far more home grown Kentucky talent and when kids in Kentucky playing basketball would dream not of playing for the NBA, but being a Wildcat. And further back, they dreamed of playing for Rupp.

I mean I know to be the finest college basketball team in the land we do need those big blue chip recruits from all over the nation/world but at the same time I wouldn't mind a few more old fashioned Kentucky boys. :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars