Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If Stack's includes a Collector's Envelope with a slabbed coin does that mean...

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

that either:

• the consigner submitted both the slab and the envelope
  • the consigner submitted the envelope and Stack's had it slabbed?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 8:29AM

I think that is fairly probable.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently picked up 2 pieces with in a cert verification series. The numbers are just 2 apart and have a similar piece in between. They both come with envelopes but the envelopes are very different (different material / color, and typed vs. handwritten).

If Stack's had them slabbed, it would make sense to have the different envelopes with the sequential serial numbers. The alternate is that the collector had them slabbed and kept the different envelopes together.

Still learning about collecting with envelopes :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not ask Stack's!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 8:45AM

For the last few Jon J. Ford, Jr. sales his family submitted the medal & tokens raw and SB ran them all through NGC as part of the consignment agreement.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I to understand that now collectors are having envelopes that coins were held in, submitted and slabbed?? Why? Is there a large group of envelope collectors now? :o Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Am I to understand that now collectors are having envelopes that coins were held in, submitted and slabbed?? Why? Is there a large group of envelope collectors now? :o Cheers, RickO

They are more important than the slab as there's a lot prior provenance information on those envelopes.

I must have a couple hundred and the envelope being missing after slabbing although hasn't been a deal breaker has been highly disappointing.

I'm still awaiting a dealer to clean his office after the Xmas slowdown and find one.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck....Thank you.... not being a seller, or a provenance collector, I was not aware of this. Interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Broadstruck....Thank you.... not being a seller, or a provenance collector, I was not aware of this. Interesting. Cheers, RickO

Many in exonumia are and on some your are able to trace the token or medal all the way back to the time of issue.

A raw auction plate match-able token or medal with the envelope is valued more to many exonumists that any graded holder.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of EAC collectors and (I think) BHNC like to keep the old provenance/envelopes. Even some lower grade stuff traces back to some Name collectors.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always keep the old envelopes. Same for old certs. Sometimes the slabbed coin comes with a card inside a plastic flip with notes about prior owners, sale dates and prices, auction dates and lot numbers. Notes on provenance are always important.

Who would toss an envelope documenting prior ownership by one of the great collectors of all time?
    Lance.

• Options

I keep the envelopes on items sold even if the new buyer doesn't want it.

I've resold a few items received back on memo a second time years later and was able to mate them up with the envelope again.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to keep the origin, provenance, of each coin that I acquire

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saving the original envelope only makes sense when it's from a famous collection/collector or a famous dealer or it has some historical significance. Otherwise, what's the point?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two EPN coins (slabbed by NGC) both came with EPN's paper envelope.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Why not ask Stack's!

What fun is that?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the collector envelope is being slabbed (like the certificate of authenticity from the 2019-s ASE)

Rather, they are kept with the slab, sometimes taped to it for added documentation.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping my win from the Baker Collection has the 140 year old envelope he kept it in. Now, that is something I would pay to have slabbed!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the original question, it means that Stack's felt the provenance of the coin and annotations on the envelope were interesting enough to pass on to the next owner to preserve. I seriously doubt that an envelope from a famous collection that had no markings on it would be saved.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a pile of old 2x2 envelopes that came with freshly slabbed coins purchased from HA (and possibly GC, as well). I’ve been meaning to organise them. Thanks for the reminder! All old copper, by the way...

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file