Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened is still Hot!

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Heritage Auction closed last night with a few expensive prices for unopened items:

'86 Fleer Basketball Box $84,000
'57 Topps Baseball Wax Pack psa-8 $8100
'63 Topps Baseball Wax Pack psa-8 $9300 (printed in U.S.A. version w/5 cards in pack)
'61 Topps Baseball Wax Pack psa-9 $4680
'65 Topps Baseball Cello Pack (1st series) psa-10 $7200

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 5:33AM

i woke up to see i was outbid on EVERYTHING....wow.

• Options

Thx coinspacks for bringing it to my attention. I could not believe the '63 pack...I have a psa-8 '63 pack printed in U.S.A. paid $4500 during the Summer of 2018.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2019 6:00AM

What is more attractive to buy... a vintage cello pack or a vintage wax pack? Which is more expensive for a given grade and given year?

Let's take an example:

1962 cello pack psa-8 series #3 (Mantle series) vs 1962 wax pack psa-8 series #3 (Mantle series)

Which is the more expensive pack and desirable pack? What is a fair price for each pack?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    What is more attractive to buy... a vintage cello pack or a vintage wax pack? Which is more expensive for a given grade and given year?

Let's take an example:

1962 cello pack psa-8 series #3 (Mantle series) vs 1962 wax pack psa-8 series #3 (Mantle series)

Which is the more expensive pack and desirable pack? What is a fair price for each pack?

Well the nice thing about the cello is that it won’t have tears in the wrapper after being shipped a few times.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of those are going to end up on the floor of Vintage Breaks? Those heathens.

Arthur

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

The 63 pack was absolutely spectacular looking, but even I was surprised by the ending price. I won the 1960 pack PSA7 and was actually somewhat surprised my bid held up considering the prices for the other packs.

As far as cellos/packs. I agree that the gum issue is out of play with the cellos, but some people (like me) like the designs of the wrapper and how they changed over the years...so I collect wax. I dont think that you can go wrong either way, really, and it boils down to what you find the most joy out of collecting. Prices are strong with both wax and cellos.

• Options

@MantleFan23 said:
    The 63 pack was absolutely spectacular looking, but even I was surprised by the ending price. I won the 1960 pack PSA7 and was actually somewhat surprised my bid held up considering the prices for the other packs.

As far as cellos/packs. I agree that the gum issue is out of play with the cellos, but some people (like me) like the designs of the wrapper and how they changed over the years...so I collect wax. I dont think that you can go wrong either way, really, and it boils down to what you find the most joy out of collecting. Prices are strong with both wax and cellos.

MantleFan23...

I agree with you that the colors and design of the wax packs over the years attracts me to wax over cellos. I also prefer a series designation on the wax pack...if possible...it is the only reason I didn't bid on the '60 pack. I need 3 packs to complete my 5-cent wax pack run from the decade of the 60s: 1960, 1965, 1969.

I had the opportunity to purchase a series #3 (Willie Mays series) 1960 psa-7 pack and a series #6 (Nolan Ryan series) 1969 psa-8 pack back in the Summer of 2018...but I didn't have the funds.

Anyone...selling any of these packs I need!

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

What year did they start printing info on "Cellos". Most of the
    early issues look very plain.

• Options

Topps apparently tested printing on cellos twice in the 1960s (1964 and 1969) but it has become the norm since 1973.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 8:45AM

@Tibor said:
    What year did they start printing info on "Cellos". Most of the
    early issues look very plain.

If you mean what year did the cello wrap start to have the 25-cent price logo, the answer is 1972. From 1970-72, the baseball cellos were clear wrapped with an outer box. But the price logo cellos were tested at the end of 1972 and started regular use in 1973. I believe the same is true for football cellos. I don’t recall whether the outer box was used at all for 1972 football, maybe not.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls and @PaulMaul Thank you for the quick response.
    The info cleared things up for me. Thanks, tibor

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the PSA 7 1952 pack went for $42k. I remember when you could get them for $1500 each and that was only 20 years ago.

I got shut out on everything as well but I wasn't aggressively pursuing anything after I placed my safety bids.

• Options

Gemmint…

I did forget that one possibly because the estimate was $50k. That was a nice pack and $42k is a good price...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never been a fan of cellos and always have done wax and racks; however, after seeing rtimmer’s display of cellos from 1978 and 1980 (Henderson) plus some of these above I am rethinking my position. They look pretty cool in the holder, so I might start adding some soon.

KC

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love actually being able to see the cards on the front of the cellos.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@MantleFan23 said:

they listed the pack as a series 2 pack eventhough the holder didnt say the series...you should email them and ask how they figured it out.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the crisser said the unopened market was dead a couple years ago??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I thought the crisser said the unopened market was dead a couple years ago??

Ha I love it Tim! I’m bringing back that sky is falling thread where he predicted the 20% decline and we both said things were going up!!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

First it was graded cards, now its unopened.....next its wrappers and empty boxes.....PS I love unopened!!

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul Woot Woot!!

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@Griffins I always love seeing your display. Do you shrink wrap some of your boxes? If so, which shrink wrapper do you use?

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

I shrink wrapped all of them. I use heat shrink bags after reinforcing the box with a foam core frame

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@Griffins said:
    I shrink wrapped all of them. I use heat shrink bags after reinforcing the box with a foam core frame

So no sealer machine?

• Options

the 1970 bkb box on robert edwards is fetching a tidy sum so far

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@BriYo79 said:

@Griffins said:

So no sealer machine?

they are sealed, the heat shrink closes everything off. Is that what you mean?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC. Christmas rip what’ a great idea! Was going to rip my 79 OPC box today but will wait till 12/25.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only ripping the modern stuff on the 25th. If we get any big pulls we sell them to buy more vintage. 😄

KC

• Options

these robert edwards prices are super lofty too.
    that 1970 bkb box and the 1969 rack pack stand out to me.

• Options
    edited December 8, 2019 8:42PM

I am surprised at the ‘65 baseball pack psa-5 going for $1620. It has tears on all 4 sides...but it is a super tough pack. Also
    93 upper deck continues to trend up...now north of $4k per box.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Seaver RC cello at $15k!

mint_only_pls