Home U.S. Coin Forum

1986-D dime -- unusual mint mark position

mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a big deal by any means but I got this in change and the odd far right placement of the D popped out at me before I even had the coin in my pocket.
Most 86-D that I have seen the D is just over the center of the 6 or slightly between the 8 and 6.
This one is far to the right.

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny you would post this! I just finished looking through a box of Roosevelts. I went back to look for a 86d. I found one and your right. Here it is.
    WoW. You could be on to something. Good Luck! B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited December 4, 2019 1:59PM

As a matter of fact, your "D" looks like a common capital D. Mine looks as if it has a little bottom part of the D going past the vertical part of the D? :/mine

yours

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and two different Dies

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 1:38PM

Yep... two different dies makes sense.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find.... Not sure I would have spotted that in change....good eye @mannie gray. Cheers, RickO

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously they are separate dies> @ricko said:

Interesting find.... Not sure I would have spotted that in change....good eye @mannie gray. Cheers, RickO

Thanks!
    Coin collecting is one area where my extreme nearsightedness is an advantage.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said
    Coin collecting is one area where my extreme nearsightedness is an advantage.

I guess so.

edited December 5, 2019 3:18PM

Here's the Mintmark for '86d for Roosevelts. By Vista Coins. Why only one design shown when yours seems different?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Here's the Mintmark for '86d for Roosevelts. By Vista Coins. Why only one design shown when yours seems different?

The mintmarks are the same design. I think it's just the lighting.

Oh, ok. Thanks! One thing to wonder? Which design has the lower mintage? Your's or the latter? :/ Interesting

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking for different positions on Mintmarks?

Check out 1926-S Lincolns. (I believe that's the date with all the wild positions).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    ...and two different Dies

There would be many different dies for the 86-D. The fact that there seems to be 2 different types of the "D" is interesting.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant that the 'misplaced D' mintmarks
    were different, so 2 diff dies with those
    two diff. mm locations. I wasn't referring
    to the shape of the MM, just the placement
    of it, on those two dies.

The Mints use thousands of dies every year.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file