Home Sports Talk

Quickie Red Sox news

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2019 5:33PM in Sports Talk

Sandy Leon traded this AM to the Indians for a minor league pitcher.

Chaim Bloom, Red Sox Chief Baseball Officer says the team has tendered JBJ jr. Some say crazy move.

Mookie has hired a fleet of Brinks trucks to get his $$$$ from whomever to the nearest bank.

Brock Holt sitting on the fence.

Rusney Castillo opts in for $13.5m...another Red Sox uber blunder. So, he'll ride the bus for big bucks. He knows he has no market. Maybe he likes AAA ball, or maybe Pawtucket is his domain. Nice $$, $83k per game...if they play 162...dunno.

JD has opted in...who wouldn't for his coin?

Unknown why Benny really slumped late.

Pedroia hopes to return in 2020...only played 9 games in 2 years...for mega money.

After barfing up $46.85 MILLION to be done with the large fatty at 3rd base, aka Pablo Sandoval, only $5 million more to go and then done. The second worst jettison in MLB history, only behind Josh Hamilton. Yo, here's $50 MILLION, go away.

Who names their kid Chaim??? B)
BTW, quite the title Chaim, or is it Bloomy? What exactly does a Chief Baseball Officer do?? I guess the great Tony L didn't submit a resume. Oh yeah, I forgot, they dumped him. He is now sipping pina coladas with his best bud, the previous GM, one Dave Dumbrowski somewhere in Aruba I suspect.

Red Sox play the Braves in 2020, both 7:20PM games...too far to travel to pay sick money to watch bajillionaires. This is why God allowed us to invent tv.

That is all, carry on.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedroia needs to retire. Before last year I thought Betts should be paid by the Sox but now I’m re thinking this, does Betts even want to play for the Sox?? I hope they consider this before throwing 300 Million at him...

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭

As much as I love the Red Sox I really don't know if I can stand another year of disappointment watching them play. I will wait and see what happens over the next couple of months. I hope Chaim can work some wonders but I don't see how with a payroll like that and a work ethic like some of the current players have.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2019 2:28PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    As much as I love the Red Sox I really don't know if I can stand another year of disappointment watching them play. I will wait and see what happens over the next couple of months. I hope Chaim can work some wonders but I don't see how with a payroll like that and a work ethic like some of the current players have.

The ridiculous salaries and poor work ethic is exactly the reason/s why I don’t watch regular season Red Sox any more. I want them to win but will only watch them if they make the Playoffs

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope JBJr. does well, whether he stays or is traded.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with all the above. The money issue is really stunning to me, and anyone that's followed the past few years of Red Sox threads has read how I've barked and barked about the insane money being paid to these slugs. When you do the math, it really is a jaw-dropper. Figure 162 games, half at home, average game about 3 hours, almost never play in bad weather, treated like prima donnas, the pay they get per game is crazy, crazy. Do the math for a rotational pitcher, who pitches every 5 games, maybe gets 30 starts...gets pulled in the 6th, and warms his ass for 5 days with the best seat in the house. It's 6 figure stuff!!

Most make more in one start than the average Joe slugging along in life makes in one year, who shells out big coin to take his kid to the Fens these days for the thrill of seeing a game. How I remember those days of long, long ago! Jim Pagliaroni, the bullpen catcher once waved back to me as I hollered his name from my seat in that little slice of pizza-like seats just to the right of the 420'sign. This where I once saw Mickey Mantle mere feet away scrambling for a ball in the triangle corner. Magical times! Now gone forever.

Somehow I was enticed to get the MLB package last year. Not gonna do that this year and will catch what I can on the MLB channel. I think Cora caught a shooting star going from Houston to the Red Sox, then reality caught up and I think he's in over his head. I see big changes ahead, and "show me the money" is the big driver...can't say I wouldn't have the same attitude, were I in their position, get it while you can. The Red Sox team in 2020 will not look like the team of 2019.

GO PATS

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

High salaries and underperform are a Red Sox tradition. Years ago I read a book about the Yankees and Red Sox in the late 1940s. According to that author, the Yankee management ran a business; Tom Yawkey, the Red Sox owner, ran a country club.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?