Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please help me identify the movie about William Gray and his theft of presidential error coins

I'm editing a book manuscript based on the theft of presidential error coins from the US Mint by security guard William Gray. The details seem very familiar, in fact I think I saw a movie with the very same story line. I cannot remember the name of the movie and I haven't been able to find a reference to it online but I'm sure I've seen it.
Can you help me identify the movie about the story of William Gray, a former Philadelphia police officer, and his theft of presidential error coins from the Philadelphia Mint?

Comments

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not aware of a Movie on that subject,
    but if it exists, I'd like to know about it too.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I can't help.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeGalster ....Welcome aboard.... Sorry I cannot help, but would also be interested in such a movie. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of no such movie.

There is that awful Netflix film, Coin Heist, about a few teenagers minting and stealing error coins. But nothing to do with William Gray's theft.
    Lance.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not heard of such a film but would really like to watch it if it exists.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

It wasn't Coin Heist, but it might have been a movie made for TV as opposed to a theater released film.

The plot involves a retired Phila police officer working at the mint as a security guard. He steals thousands of presidential coins without the lettering on the edge by sneaking them out in his coffee cup when he goes outside for a cigarette.

As I've read through this manuscript I know I've seen this story before in the exact same detail. The author of the manuscript claims it to be their original unpublished novel.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no movie that includes Bill Grey & the US Mint

Script¿ possible

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rings no bells.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeGalster said:
    The plot involves a retired Phila police officer working at the mint as a security guard. He steals thousands of presidential coins without the lettering on the edge by sneaking them out in his coffee cup when he goes outside for a cigarette.

That sounds very vaguely familiar for some reason. I don't know why.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an episode of the TV show Monk thay had a plot along these lines. Maybe someone else also remembers

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kccoin said:
    There was an episode of the TV show Monk thay had a plot along these lines. Maybe someone else also remembers

s3 e5.

Bedard stole five double-headed pennies from the Mint – rare coins, worth about $200,000 each. When he noticed that he was being followed by Mint security (they are known to follow employees from time to time), he panicked. He ducked into the barber shop, and hid them in the coin slot of the gumball machine, figuring that he'd come back to get them when he was safe.

https://monk.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Monk_Meets_the_Godfather

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The property to be forfeited includes $2.3 million in cash, two houses in Philadelphia, five motor vehicles, a boat and boat motor."

Gee..........I guess you can only buy so much stuff.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that's why it sounded vaguely familiar. Good catch.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file