Home Metal Detecting

Going to prison for metal detecting

DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I have never agreed with the U.K. law, it is, after all, the law. So they transgressed and will now pay the price. Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a stupid law.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A different land, different laws.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible for those guys. Too bad.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would have been compensated for the finds and chose to steal. Stupid is as stupid does! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finders weepers.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is truly a shame. However, w cant choose to ignore the laws that we dont agree with. It seems that if they had just kept the coins as collectors, they may have avoided detection by the authorities. But making money always draws intention.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

They really should change that law. Aren't the museums filled up by now with found coin treasure by detectorist's? Life was simpler in the 50's and 60's with fewer rules.

Treasures continue to be found in the U.K., and I do not see the law changing in the future. Though I agree, it should be changed....That being said, as long as the law stands, it should be obeyed. Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

The law has some good results if you don’t try to cheat. Wonderful old treasures are available for all to view and study. The 50/50 finder landholder split avoids litigation in many instances. The price as far as I have seen is fair market value. Without this law chances are many wonderful artifacts would be melted for intrinsic value. Jmho

@No Headlights....The law will not prevent melting or selling of finds... It only prescribes the punishment if caught. No law prevents crime. Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

The law gives fair options to dispose of the find without breaking the law.

Artifacts yes. I understand that with the laws on the books. But coins? Don't they have enough already in museums. Like 100,000's? Coins should go to the finder unless completely unique. Just my opinion. Carry on.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have antiquity laws here in the US. Most don't know and most don't obey. It's against the law in Nevada, and probably all lands owned by the Gov't (BLM lands of which Nevada is 77% or so), to remove anything from the desert that is 75 years old or older. Gotta leave it right where it is. My neighbor, now ex neighbor, was in prison for taking a rock that had those glyphs on it by ancient people (a couple of hand prints). The rock was small enough that he and another were able to pick it up, put in the truck and place next to his front door. Don't mess with the Feds on this stuff. You can pick up all the gold nuggets you want but no human artifacts or stuff from mining days, etc.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@No Headlights....Yes, it does give options, but does not prevent other options... No law prevents actions...merely states that specified behavior is unacceptable and punishable. Cheers, RickO

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @No Headlights....Yes, it does give options, but does not prevent other options... No law prevents actions...merely states that specified behavior is unacceptable and punishable. Cheers, RickO

Not sure I agree with all of this. Of course laws don't "prevent actions," but laws and punishments do create incentives to act or not act in certain ways. Now some folks aren't motivated by those incentives, and some folks obviously pay the price.

@SenateSaloon....The law describes actions/behavior that is unacceptable and prescribes punishment. After that it is a personal choice...to obey or not obey. That being said, the law will not prevent crime, merely stipulates transgression and the price to be paid. Cheers, RickO