Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 3:30PM

Th pictures aren't great but I suspect that coin won't disappoint.

Edit to add It would be @ricko approved. :#

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

It is a $250 coin based on recent auction sales. I would offer that at my max.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks a boat load nicer than a typical MS63!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dipped and properly neutralized.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:

Nice coin, $250 offer may get you blocked by that seller.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

That's what they show in HA results.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

Yep, what I would offer too, but waaay lower than priced. Seller,whoever it is, may consider it an insult.

• Options

IMHO all I'm seeing at auction in Barber material is the stuff the die hard collectors don't want. I used to buy a lot of coins in the auctions but it's been awhile since I've seen anything that excites me....off course if your into top POP MS grades that may be different as I'm talking 12-64 grades!

@topstuf said:

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

• Options

I would because you are really offering the seller in the $220 range after fees...would you sell that coin for $200 or less????

@Smudge said:

@topstuf said:

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

Yep, what I would offer too, but waaay lower than priced. Seller,whoever it is, may consider it an insult.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:

I might block someone who made that offer. Lol. The ugly ones on Heritage sold for $250. The nice one on Heritage sold for $380

That said, I'd want better photos before I'd pay $380 for that coin. But I personally think asking for a 40% discount is insulting even if you think the coin is overpriced. You are either saying, "nice coin but I want a discount of 2x the normal margin on a coin" or "you're a crook trying to get 40% more than the coin is worth"

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Coin looks good and CAC liked it. CDN retail is $358 for MS63 CAC, $338 without it. $348 is a good offer imo. They'll probably meet you half way. I've learned if you really like a coin, buy it asap because it's likely to sell fast. Lost a few good ones over thinking on dollar signs!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin but too white for me.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could shoot him an email. Lay out the HA recent sales and then
    Ask him for his bottom line Best price. This way he is not offended and you waste no more time than an email

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dipped. Looks unnatural. Would not work for me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin. I'd offer 300. The seller would likely counter, at 350, so we'd settle at 325. Don't think I'd pay more than that.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is some lines hiding on the face....but still a choice Unc

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That appears to be a very nice Barber Quarter....If I were making the offer, I would not lowball it...and seller will counter... so figure what you are willing to pay and take off 15% for your offer...then you will get the counter and make your decision. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 9:54AM

Non CAC: CPG is around 340 CDN bid 260. Blue sheet 225. Cac pop report value $358, est CAC bid 275. I would offer somewhere in those ranges. Better hurry I may beat you to it lol - nice coin.

Defensive side of ball: I would put 240 on the table see what he does. Auc history shows 228-325. My goal would be sell at 30 pct margin not pay more than bid plus around 5 pct. If he sends it to bay auction he may have to start it as low as 220 get any bids. I think a few bucks over CDN bid should take it in this market if he’s Wanting move it quick. I might up the offer $20 bc it’s CAC but no more. If that target sell $375. Shopping it around the bourse at a show he might get 250. This is higher than w impact from auc juice, shipping.

On Offense: He has it for 395 (PQ Coin) probably would let it go at 375 or 360 below that good luck - it’s a nice 5 star keeper PQ tough locate coin not some average quality generic I might let go at bid plus 10 pct. I would not discount it more than 5 pct beyond my asking price otherwise they can go find one. A strong buyer with money wanting it for his set would have already snapped it up in this bargain market. That is less than good 50 yard line seats at a pro game or possibly the Rose Bowl. So 395 (30 pct margin) a good asking price leaving some negotiation room. I would not put price sticker on slab for show less than that.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 'em with some color!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 5:49PM

To me it's just another dipped common date Barber quarter. It's uber common, and a lower mint state grade at that. While it may be better than many 63s, he's effectively asking 64-64+ money which is way too high. You could buy a gem for not much more. Dipped blast white Barber coinage also looks unnatural to me.

From a marketing perspective, it will be harder to move at top dollar. I hate to say this, but the reality is the NGC plastic will make the coin sell for a discount when it comes time to sell notwithstanding the bean. I also would not dream of paying a large CAC premium on a common coin like this. There are undoubtedly many fine coins given how inexpensive it is that have never been to CAC. The Barber market has also been hit hard (and has never been super strong IMHO) and likely has more room to go before the series bottoms out.

Everything about this coin screams pass to me.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I would because you are really offering the seller in the $220 range after fees...would you sell that coin for $200 or less????

@Smudge said:

@topstuf said:

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

Respectfully, his eBay and PayPal fees are not the buyer's problem or concern even though those fees undoubtedly will factor into the seller's bottom line. If he can't price it competitively after fees, then the seller has picked the wrong venue.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it FWIW

• Options

It's just a way to put your inventory out there. I use Ebay as my website and I have many customers I have met at shows that go look at my ebay store and give me a call or shoot me an email if they want something. I have coins listed on ebay just like this(tight margins). Either someone has the intuition to figure out how to contact me directly and make a deal or they sell at coin shows!

I also suspect this coin is damn close or is a nice blazing PL coin....that's my take on the crappy pictures anyway.

@cameonut2011 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Smudge said:

@topstuf said:

@Smudge said:

@ilmcoins said:

Respectfully, his eBay and PayPal fees are not the buyer's problem or concern even though those fees undoubtedly will factor into the seller's bottom line. If he can't price it competitively after fees, then the seller has picked the wrong venue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file