Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the best source for...?

If I wanted to find every Lance Alworth card ever produced, during and after his career, where would I find it? I've seen trading card data base.com, but are there better lists? What is the best process for building a single-player super set checklist?

I think I have all of the stuff from his playing days, but I don't have much of a clue on the modern stuff. Thanks!!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one time, Beckett had a feature like what you are looking for. I used it
    when I was collecting Ripken Jr. 20+ years ago. They did lack many regional
    and local issues. I am not sure if they still offer this.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that there is one source that will have everything. Trading card database is a good one! Ebay is not so much a reference site, but if you haven't already, do a "saved search" on your guy and watch what comes up.

I tried to get all the Killebrew stuff and even created my own checklist at one time. I started with a "Standard Catalog" back in the day. Of course I ended up collecting more than just cards, that made it even tougher.

Most of my success with the hard to find/uncatalogued stuff was through networking with a couple of other obsessive Killebrew collectors. I got together with them with the help of Frank Barning's "Barnstorming" feature in SCD years ago. Not only did I learn of a lot of great Killebrew items, I made a few lifelong friends.

When not arguing over who was the GOAT in some sport, I have found a great deal of information on this site as well.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 12:38PM

I used the Beckett download as a starting template to track my Longoria collection in an excel spreadsheet. They have a one month player subscription for $4.00. That's what I did initially to download the Longoria list into excel. I see that they have 635 total Alworth cards listed. I see that Trading Card Database has 613 cards listed.

Also use the Trading Card Data Base as well (www.tradingcarddb.com) to keep track of what I have and scan in cards as I get them if they are not there already. (https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Person.cfm/pid/3498/Evan-Longoria)

When a card comes up that is not in my spreadsheet from the original Beckett list, I simply add it to an additional tab in my master spreadsheet called "additional cards". I've went back before and got a new monthly subscription to see if there were any new Longo cards listed.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, thank you!! I have purchased the monthly membership for Alworth. Is there a certain download feature for the checklist? I can't seem to find it. Thank you!!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

No problem. When you click on one of the cards in the selection, there should be a section called "Other Actions". There is four options there in that menu, Add to Organize, View BGS population, Share this Player, and view checklist. Click on View checklist and your checklist should appear.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 1:44PM

Oh.... you may have meant that you already found the checklist and are looking to get it in excel? If that's the case, I couldn't find a download feature either, I was able to copy it though and paste it directly into excel. In the Longoria player checklist, I needed to sort again once in excel for it to be in better sequence. Hope this helps.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got it. Yes, that's what I meant. Still, this is very helpful. I will do some tweaking to it, but it is pretty much just what I want. Thank you!

• Options

Awesome! Glad you got what you needed.

• Options

I have used the following to help with my Ben Hogan Database. Go to www.pwccmarketplace.com. Go to INVESTORS tab and then click on Market Price Research. Put in players name, take Sold Price down to $0. Change from Auction only to Auction and Fixed Price and change Time Frame if wanted. This shows what much of what has been sold on Ebay since 2004 for your player.