Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Testing slab polish but notice hairlines after testing. Is this normal for plastic polish?

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got sum slab renew because my new PR Indian head slab as 3 large scratches across the front of the slab when I got it in the mail
I tested the slab renew on a scratched graded Franklin dime before attempting on the Indian head and noticed sum vary small hairlines after polishing . Is that normal for slab polish or is it the polyester fabric

Comments

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    I do a lot of slab polishing because I don't like sending customers images with ugly scars.

I started with Slab Renew, like others. Tossed it when I found a better product (PlastX) but also tried two flavors of Novus which I believe is what Slab Renew is...just repackaged.

Years later, and after running through five or six bottles, I can honestly say there is no better product than Meguiar's PlastX.

For best results use a 100% cotton cloth. Old t-shirts work great. Choose a colored one, not white, so you can avoid parts of the t-shirt have been previously used.

Sometimes slab damage is so severe that polishing can't fix it. But it will soften the edges which catch light. So there is still some benefit.

For best results turn the t-shirt often, as you work the polish. Several times. Always work with a clean area. If you are careless the old, used, dried cloth areas will leave slight scratch marks.
    Lance.

Thanks for the advice, I will have to change my fabric

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin
    Thanks for the info Lance, I just grabbed a bottle off of Amazon.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

It's not the Slab-Renew, more likely tiny grit on the cloth. I use Scratch X by Meguiar, similar to their PlastX. Very good results though some slabs need to be worked on several times for optimal results. Also. it takes polishing in different directions ie vertical, horizontal and circular at varying speeds and pressures, depending on the scratch "Type". I use microfiber cloths for auto detailing too. I polish ALL my slabs to a point where not even micro hairlines can be seen with a 4X magnifier under bright lighting. Not only are scratches removed, so are "Blotches" , haze and "Blemishes". Great to view coin though clean plastic!

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry your birthday present came scratched. :( Don't worry it looks like it can be fixed without reholdering. :)
    You can use that dime slab you have or buy a cheap one to practice on before the 1888. It is best to start off easy with polishes like have been mentioned, if you find it did not work well enough you may need the more aggressive approach. The link I posted that BryceM did was very good and was a PCGS slab, it seems thing are missing from the tread maybe because of the bug. If you check the link after the bug is fixed it may be restored. I did a NGC holder and they are not as easy as a PCGS. Learn how to restore a slab now and it will save you hundreds in the future if you stay with coins. This could make your coin even more special if you were able to restore it and learn from it. If you need help feel free to ask. :)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where it was made is the problem.

Ken
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

To bad about the scratches. Some good information here.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 6:56AM

Use microfiber. I also use the Meguiar products, usually PlastX. The slabs come out perfect with no evidence of any hairlines. I always finish with a circular motion when finished working specific spots. It is never quick and easy, it ALWAYS takes work even for minor scratches. I'll start swirling and count to 100 before checking the progress.

The Indian slab you have looks like it will take a lot of elbow grease. Don't give up though.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend Plastx....but now that I see the post by @Commencents, I may have to try Scratch X by Meguiar. Not that I was not happy with the former, but if something is improved upon... Well, worth checking. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 7:46AM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would recommend Plastx....but now that I see the post by @Commencents, I may have to try Scratch X by Meguiar. Not that I was not happy with the former, but if something is improved upon... Well, worth checking. Cheers, RickO

And I will try Plastx! Have a feeling both produce the same results. A plus using these products on holders is taking out the fine scratches in one's vehicle and friends and families too. Which is more important lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file