Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Westchester NY show report

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2019 3:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Up in NY for thanksgiving with the wife’s family and a barmitzvah for one of her/our nephews. The show was/is across the street from our hotel, at the Marriott hotel we were at this summer.

Holiday week fri/sat show and we got there about 3:30 or so Friday and did a couple laps. If I had to guess, probably ~20 dealers with a range of stuff. Lots of paper currency, lots of coins, decent amount of gold/silver for the amount of dealers, a lot of graded stuff on the higher end price wise.

Saw generic silver with $22/oz for the average price - bars/rounds. ASEs graded 69 in the $30s+ by my glance. Peace/Morgans could be found for $20-22 for stuff to stack.

Didn’t know there was a show honestly until this afternoon, so I had absolutely zero hunt for anything particular for myself but was open to something if it caught my eye.

After the Thursday turkey dinner though with everyone the youngest nephew (7) was talking about coins and his buffalo nickels. I showed him my pocket pieces - a 1925 peace dollar, a norfed, 1870 5 peseta, and a 1807 8reale (mex) and he was floored by the old stuff. So, finding out there was a show and that he likes coins the hunt was on for some bday stuff for his pirate chest.

Hunting the bargain bins at 4 dealers (who I did not get names of) we got him some stuff. I was looking for things that were not too worn with nice details and readable dates that presents really nice.

Picked out some barber stuff at one table, half and a quarter ($15 total). Some Indian cents and buffs at another ($15 total). Finally found a dealer with a barber dime in the kids $ range I was looking for (could have gotten a ton of pricey ones at a bunch of tables) and they threw in a proof 78 Lincoln ($4). Then grabbed a big Morgan for him ($20).

Chatted up a couple of the dealers and they said it was busy early and then steady with us slow roller late folks. Saw some deals being made, nothing big, and a guy had brought in some gold pocket watches to dump and was trying to make a deal as we were leaving.

The wife got to see some of the old paper stuff and one case had a $1000 in it that I pointed out that she’d never seen. This was her first show.

Didn’t see anything I personally couldn’t live without, at any kind of price I would have done for capped/draped bust halves, nor any 8 reales or onzas/libertads period that could have got my wallet out.

Couple dealers had some raw gold in all forms it seemed as well as graded stuff. The usual mix I guess but prices seemed high to me on the graded - $400+ for 69 modern 1/10 AGEs and some of the foreign stuff on tags and I didn’t even think to ask to haggle.

I smelled mustard when we got in and turned around and saw a pastrami hoagie sitting on a dealer table/case.

So, for the unexpected pit stop afternoon the nephew is getting all the stuff

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

That used to be one of the biggest NY shows, 20 and even 10 years ago.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 4:16PM

@logger7 said:
    That used to be one of the biggest NY shows, 20 and even 10 years ago.

I’ve heard/seen it way bigger in older posts, but I think they do more than 1/year. Holiday week kept this one small I bet. I think I remember it being at the county center as well and not at the Marriott. If it was in another room/hall as well we didn’t see it though. Thought it was supposed to be 100~ dealers...

Seeing the April 2018 report though (same Marriott) I think it was about the same size.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/997457/westchester-coin-and-stamp-show-april-7-2018-report

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going Saturday with 2 buddies from my coin club. Its been a post-Thanksgiving tradition for several years, even though the show is far from what it used to be.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go to the show every Thanksgiving weekend when it was at the County Center, and it was indeed 100+ dealers. It was not only a great show but, given the holiday spirit and all that, something of a social event. Sadly, I think I've been there only once in the past 15+ years.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the barber dime

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report i remember going to that show in the mid 2000s and itwas always packed and had a serious buzz. I havent been there since 2014 and havent missed much from what ive been told.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice report.looks like your nephew did well

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your report, and inspiring a potential new YN.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thank s for the thorough report and picture

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 4:12AM

The Thanksgiving WESPNEX show was UPSTAIRS at the County Center, which meant high ceilings, more light and well over 100 dealers and exhibits and even an auction on Saturday; some of the other shows during the year were in the less desirable downstairs venue, more like 80-90 dealers. There was a second smaller show a few times a year at the Marriott near the Tappan Zee bridge as well.

That was a great show in the late 80s/early 90s and I didn't realize that it is now so much smaller, but a number of the dealers from that era have passed on or retired to Florida.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 5:37AM

MOST of my entire collection was acquired from many dealers at the Westchester show...a Thanksgiving weekend tradition at the Westchester County Center for decades! My dealings there extend back to the early Reagan administration...LITERALLY!

And then after the show, my parents would drive me over to the Gimbels in Yonkers, where we'd have lunch at the mall...and I'd also hit the coin counter in the store too!

In those pre-slab days, it was not uncommon to have 300+ top tier dealers in the main auditorium!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:

I smelled mustard when we got in and turned around and saw a pastrami hoagie sitting on a dealer table/case.

Haha, certainly wouldn't be the Westchester show without the smells of mustard and bengay. Thanks for the show report!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice show report....Thanks for including the information about gold..seems prices are staying high due to economic uncertainty.... well, uncertain for some, meanwhile, things are great. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember helping a friend set up in 2008 and at the time u could be a kid in a candy store. Also lincoln pennies were red 🔥 couldnt keep enough keys and semi keys in stock!!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report @DrBuster.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice report indeed and you got a few items to boot

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed your report.
    Thanks!

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

This report could've been a Charmy style report had you taken a picture of the hoagie.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    This report could've been a Charmy style report had you taken a picture of the hoagie.

I thought about it but it got devoured before we finished our first lap of the tables.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got there around 3 pm. Was quiet but dealers told me it was busy early. Very small show and not alot to look at but living 20 minutes away makes it hassle freenand enjoyable to attend. There were a few young girls, maybe around 12 years old who were walking around trying to sell their coins to dealers amd very enthusiastically. While it can be heartbreaking seeing them rejected it was also great to see them keeping our hobby rolling. At this show, when he attends, John Lerner usually has the nicest coins.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Is there any info on the web for any future shows there in Westchester? Not a bad commute for me and I'd like to check the show out sometime!

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the one mentioned here,

http://www.coinzip.com/westchester-coin-show

And this is one is much better and is coming up soon...

https://coinandcollectiblesfair.com/

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Thank you JonBrand83...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file