Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where to sell proof sets

My dad who passed away earlier this year for some reason bought a lot of proof sets. He had also bought other coins which I have sold. Where can one sell proof sets? From what I can tell there is not a really big market for these coins.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seaninsa said:
    My dad who passed away earlier this year for some reason bought a lot of proof sets. He had also bought other coins which I have sold. Where can one sell proof sets? From what I can tell there is not a really big market for these coins.

Sorry for your loss.

You could try the Buy, Sell, Trade forum.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, try the BST here first.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    edited November 29, 2019 2:12AM

Comes down to two things:

Are you trying to make a profit or not? Actually any $ made IS a realized profit to you/Estate; maximizing, as @jmlanzaf mentioned, will take time.

Post what you have and everyone can opine on what to do with them.

Edit to add: I see someone has approached you via your “wall” space. That is not a private message (PM) so replying there will be visible to all. Recommend you send personal information via PM.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The local shop has stopped buying them. I have had decent luck on ebay, but they are not hot sellers. Id make sure the earlier ones(70 and earlier) are not cameo before selling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice above....I recommend any earlier than '70, check general value and try the BST (no fees)....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Actually any $ made IS a realized profit to you/Estate; maximizing, as @jmlanzaf mentioned, will take time.

That's not true in all jurisdictions. I'm not a lawyer but have been through the process in one state (YMMV)...

As part of the probate filing, the individual who is petitioning to be appointed executor/personal representative needs to file a rough estimate of the value of the estate. In Florida, for example, estates under $75,000 can use an expedited process instead of a formal probate. But if it's at all close the attorney will err on the side of a formal probate. That estimate is going to be based on the information you have, such as a greysheet value.

One appointed, as the executor/personal representative, you then have a fiduciary obligation to either turn over the assets to the heirs according to the will or sell them for as much money as you can to raise cash for debts and/or turn the cash over to the heirs.

Profit has a specific meaning (value above cost) and only enters into the picture for estate taxes (state/Federal). Even if no state tax is due, you will have to file an affidavit of this. And an estate tax return to the Feds. Even if no tax is due. It's like in high school, you have to show your work.

Effort doesn't enter into it unless the estate hires a professional to act as executor/personal representative, or the court appoints one. The joy of serving as the named executor/personal representative is that you have to be bonded but don't get paid for your time.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2019 8:16AM

@BStrauss3 said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Actually any $ made IS a realized profit to you/Estate; maximizing, as @jmlanzaf mentioned, will take time.

That's not true in all jurisdictions. I'm not a lawyer but have been through the process in one state (YMMV)...

As part of the probate filing, the individual who is petitioning to be appointed executor/personal representative needs to file a rough estimate of the value of the estate. In Florida, for example, estates under $75,000 can use an expedited process instead of a formal probate. But if it's at all close the attorney will err on the side of a formal probate. That estimate is going to be based on the information you have, such as a greysheet value.

One appointed, as the executor/personal representative, you then have a fiduciary obligation to either turn over the assets to the heirs according to the will or sell them for as much money as you can to raise cash for debts and/or turn the cash over to the heirs.

Profit has a specific meaning (value above cost) and only enters into the picture for estate taxes (state/Federal). Even if no state tax is due, you will have to file an affidavit of this. And an estate tax return to the Feds. Even if no tax is due. It's like in high school, you have to show your work.

Effort doesn't enter into it unless the estate hires a professional to act as executor/personal representative, or the court appoints one. The joy of serving as the named executor/personal representative is that you have to be bonded but don't get paid for your time.

I have had the experience for a loved one who did not have a will. :'(

Sorry OT.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    The local shop has stopped buying them. I have had decent luck on ebay, but they are not hot sellers. Id make sure the earlier ones(70 and earlier) are not cameo before selling.

The market is flooded with this kind of material. I'm not surprised to hear that some shops have stopped buying it altogether.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

1971 and 1972 Proof Sets get cracked and directly go to Coinstar. Other sets are on a case by case basis.

Maintaining Good relations with the few regular coin buyers out there means that you don't offer them dreck.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a list of the years and then let us give advice....not enough info here yet.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 7:05PM

What AUandAG sez; Good advise above: " A picture is worth a thousand words"! or even better, a thousand Dollars! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern Coin Mart and other Big sellers take mint sets so you can contact them and ask for the Buyer.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file