Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin-related item(s), for under $25.00, would you want for Christmas?

No, I'm not going to buy it for you! LOL!!! Just wondering, if you had an exchange limit of $25.00, what coin-related item(s) would you put on your list?

Looking to add to my list. Any suggestions? Don't necessarily need to be books. Here's what I have......so far:

Book: "The History of United States Coinage". Hardcover. By Q. David Bowers. January, 1979. Used - Good: $17.53 + $0.96 tax, Seller: ThriftBooks-Squared.
https://www.amazon.com/History-United-States-Coinage-Illustrated/dp/0914490419/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+history+of+united+states+coinage&qid=1574285094&sr=8-1

Book: "History of the United States Mint and Its Coinage". Hardcover. By David W. Lange, Mary Jo Mead, April 30, 2005. Used - Very Good. $5.99 + $0.33 tax. Seller: ThriftBooks.
https://www.amazon.com/History-United-Coinage-HISTORY-COINAGE/dp/0794819729/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=history+of+the+united+states+mint+and+its+coinage&qid=1574285424&sr=8-1

Book: "Fascinating Facts, Mysteries & Myths About U.S. Coins". Paperback. By Robert R. Van Ryzin. October 29, 2009. Used - Good. $5.40 + $0.30 tax. Seller: super-fly-books.
https://www.amazon.com/Fascinating-Facts-Mysteries-Myths-About/dp/1440206503/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Fascinating+Facts,+Mysteries+&+Myths+About+U.S.+Coins&qid=1574285671&sr=8-1

Book: "The Secret History of the First U.S. Mint: How Frank H. Stewart Destroyed, And Then Saved A National Treasure". Hardcover, By Leonard Augsburger, Joel J. Orosz. January 11, 2011. Used - Very Good. $5.00 + $3.99 shipping. Seller: chapter2booksaz.
https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-First-U-S-Mint/dp/079483244X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Secret+History+of+the+First+U.S.+Mint:+How+Frank+H.+Stewart+Destroyed,+And+Then+Saved+A+National+Treasure&qid=1574286206&sr=8-1

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new magnifier.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Any coin reference book would be welcomed.
    Even a series I don't specialize in.
    I love books though.

Same here. Books or magazines.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could I have an Amazon or Barnes & Noble Gift card?

Amazon has two books on Ancients that I would like, but the prices are a just bit more than $25. Not super pricey, but over $25. I would happily use my own cash for the portion over the stipulated amount.

I already have three of the four books shown above.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

One box of 50 rolls of cents.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Book or silver bullion.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a dansco album

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherrypickers guide volume 1.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A winning lottery ticket?

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    A winning lottery ticket?

I get those all the time. Trouble is, I only win 5 or 10 dollars on each winning ticket.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

2x2 flips. An assortment. No dollar flips.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

PlastX.
    Lance.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Book: "The History of United States Coinage". Hardcover. By Q. David Bowers. January, 1979. Used - Good: $17.53 + $0.96 tax, Seller: ThriftBooks-Squared.

This is really a book about the Garrett Collection when it was auctioned.
    An amazing collection by the way, with many high grade classic rarities.
    So the book has stories about the rarities, like many auction catalogs do.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic books are always welcome....Snap together slabs are nice for self slabbing coins not worth sending in...we all have some of those. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

a Hawaiin shirt and bottle of mustard

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like these for my collection of them:

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few extra boxes to store extra slabs in

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Mexican 50 centavo silver pieces.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Santa,
    It's me again, sry,
    Could you also pick up a table or desk lamp, on your way
    to work that way i can return the bells i borrowed
    and your laptop has been updated with your current PDF files.
    OH, also the elves in the IT dept are requesting a spell check instruction guide,
    I gave them my 8th grade spelling book. lol
    They drilled holes in it and put it on the tree.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2019 4:54AM

A naturally toned, non-cull, circulated Morgan Dollar dated before 1921.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking yesterday at my Red Book series and found one I didn't have, the Gold Eagle book. Its been requested already. Christmas built the entire library over the last several years.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

A one ounce Christmas themed or winter themed silver round would be a great gift.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

An ORIGINAL B&L 3X-4X-7X magnifier. They are no longer made. I gave one to a dear friend this weekend because IMHO, they are one of the best hand lenses for beginners to experts. The ones on the market now are Chinese knock-offs that still are OK.

At one time they were common as dirt. We gave them out in grading seminars decades ago. When I tried to replace one ten+ years ago, I found out they were no longer available. It was a race calling lapidary/geology equipment suppliers, and optical shops to buy all I could get. I discovered the ones for sale on Ebay were not "originals!" However, they are still a decent lens that I swear by for beginners.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    An ORIGINAL B&L 3X-4X-7X magnifier. They are no longer made. I gave one to a dear friend this weekend because IMHO, they are one of the best hand lenses for beginners to experts. The ones on the market now are Chinese knock-offs that still are OK.

At one time they were common as dirt. We gave them out in grading seminars decades ago. When I tried to replace one ten+ years ago, I found out they were no longer available. It was a race calling lapidary/geology equipment suppliers, and optical shops to buy all I could get. I discovered the ones for sale on Ebay were not "originals!" However, they are still a decent lens that I swear by for beginners.

I picked up a couple off eBay that were like new. I like them because the lenses are large and it gives you a wild field of view. Also, the 3X, 4X, 7X magnification is perfect for examining coins. For authentication purposes I prefer a quality 10X triplet loupe.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file